Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so here is my work around at least until tomorrow,( tomorrow I have an appointment with a repair facility that samsung is sending me to)

for anyone that has a samsung watch, there is an app I downloaded a while ago that works well over wifi to the car to lock and unlock and set climate from the watch. they recently came out with another app that works as a bluetooth key.
app for car wifi is Watt Time
app for bluetooth key is Watt Key

THE APPS ARE NOT FREE, but its around $20 total for the 2 apps,

the watch now works for me as a key, so until I get the phone issue solved at least for $20 I got it fixed and I kinda like that I can do it all from my watch now too.
Thank you. This solution actually worked! Now my car recognises my Watch as Key - each and every time.
In fact, you're right, it's even more convenient than a Phone Key, as sometimes I leave my phone in house and go to garage to get something from the car and then realize I need to bring my phone...my Watch is always on my wrist.
Tesla service person also adviced me to wait for an update to the Tesla App and suggested to use these apps in the meantime. Hopefully, Tesla fixes the issue with their App soon.

Reactions: jgunduck
ok, its definitely the phone and blue tooth, I also had a smart dead bolt that has a finger print scanner in it, its both wifi and bluetooth but to add fingerprints to it you need to be beside it and use bluetooth, well... it just sits and spins in the app when trying to connect to the deadbolt and guess what, it literally tells me it uses BLE communications to pair and communicate. so samsung needs to get this issue fixed. if I cannot use my other technology with my phone its becomes just a device for talking and it is no longer going to be a device I pay money for.

Reactions: SamGr
Was working earlier this week. Took in for unrelated service. After receiving back, the pair key phone button was on the app and now it will not pair. Tried everything again, twice, and no luck. Frustrating.

To add to the mystery more... this morning I tried again. It all paired but would not complete the setup. Still showed it "half" installed. Drive to work and let car sit for a couple hours and then it worked. All is connected and it shows active. Sentry cameras work. All is good now. Weird.

To add to the mystery more... this morning I tried again. It all paired but would not complete the setup. Still showed it "half" installed. Drive to work and let car sit for a couple hours and then it worked. All is connected and it shows active. Sentry cameras work. All is good now. Weird.
I have been able to make it work on 3 separate occasions by uninstalling and reinstalling Tesla app (and deleting phone key and Bluetooth pairing from the car). Each time, it used to work for a few days and then stop working. But after the 3rd time, now it just refuses to pair.

Reactions: twilli79
Ive mended mine now. On Samsung go to Settings->Apps->Tesla->Battery and set the option to Unrestricted. MIne was set on Optimised.

Thanks to Darius Kowalski on the 'Tesla Model 3 UK' Facebook group for that.
Thank you for sharing, but this did not work for me! I tried multiple times, but the phone just doesn't pair as a key for my car. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Tesla App on phone multiple times and changed Battery optimization to 'Unrestricted', rebooted phone, rebooted car several times now.
Even Tesla service people don't know how to fix this issue. The person suggested that I factory reset my phone and factory reset my car and then don't restore apps on phone from backup. That's ridiculous! I asked him if he really wants me to go through reinstalling all apps manually on my phone and also re-do all settings in my car including FSD Beta request again and go through all that? And even if I do, there's no guarantee that this will fix the issue.
The only thing that is currently working consistently without any hitch, is the 'Watt Key' App on my Watch. I guess, I just need to wait for an OS update on my phone - for the phone key to start working again.

Last edited:
Hi all, I just found this thread. Samsung Z Flip 4 here, got Android 13 today. Killed my phone key. I tried to delete the app, delete the phone from the car, add it all back, nothing. Getting a "failed to connect" error.
Screenshot_20221221_190738_Tesla.jpg

Hi all, I just found this thread. Samsung Z Flip 4 here, got Android 13 today. Killed my phone key. I tried to delete the app, delete the phone from the car, add it all back, nothing. Getting a "failed to connect" error.
Same with my fold 3. Phone key wasn't working consistently since I got the 13 beta. Removed everything, un paired, etc and haven't been able to get it to connect again. I think it is on the android side, hopefully it is an issue that gets fixed.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Last night i again tried to delete the phone key and add it again, and that did work. But it is not actually working. In the Tesla App, it DOES show that the "phone key connected" but in real life, nothing. I can't drive without the key card, and my doors don't automatically lock and unlock.

I spent a good bit of time on the phone with samsung and the person even remoted into my phone and changed some settings, and tried some things and then said that there was nothing he could do and maybe a future update would fix the issue, then I called tesla, did all sorts of different things in the car and on the phone and nothing worked, so both tesla and samsung both said "sorry, you are just going to have to be patient and wait for someone to come up with an update" both said almost the exact same thing. so frustrating!
well, do you have any battery optimisation on the Tesla app?

I also constantly have the silent notification of the tesla app in the background, which tells/shows me when app is connected or not.
turned off battery optimization already and have notifications on for it to see connection status, was never an issue before the android 13 newest security patches

Reactions: Art VandeIay