Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angus Taylor won’t drive an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won’t give my opinion of Angus Taylor here as I want the conversation to remain polite.
Suffice to say I spent a day handing out How to Vote cards at Tallong for an independent in Angus Taylor’s electorate In the last Federal election. I’ll do the same for anyone who runs against him in the next election.
Talking to people coming to vote only convinced me more that people vote according to their perceived tribe or team and truly independent voters are rare.
There is enough independnce to chnge government every couple of elections

Angus Taylor is worse than politician. He is a CORRUPT politican. He does things not for the good of the country, but for what can feather his and his donor's nests the best.

With the help of Barnaby he sold water rights for millions of dollars more than it was valued at by his own government departments. To a company he founded in the Cayman Islands. A terrirtory which doesn't disclose information on it's companies. He says he no longer has anything to do with it. Yeah, right!

He used his position to hold talks to benefit his family / brother's company.

He is deliberately holding back environmental projects / opening gas power stations against all recommendations.

He is corrupt. His goverment is corrupt. He deserves to be hated.

Maybe our hatred can be instilled in some family members and friends and make a difference.

It is pointless 'waiting for the next election' to make a difference. Do you think the Australian electorate gives a *sugar* about the handling of the bushfires? Sports rorts? The handling of the rape in parliament? Other women's issues? All they will care about is whatever 3 word slogan the LNP come up with 2 weeks before the election. AXE THE TAX, RETIREE TAX, or whatever.

Corrupt politicians deserve to be hated.

/rant
Not sure how his own compny paying above valuation to australian taxpayers is in his best personal interests. Seems the only winner is taxpayers.

Reactions: Hovean
It'd be funny in other circumstances: of all continents Australia has effectively unlimited power available from the sun, and with a modicum of planning for generation and storage could be getting on for FF independence PDQ. With a huge solar panel base manufacturing them here and exporting them shouldn't be beyond the wit of man, and even politicians at a pinch, with the jobs tagging along.

It'd be funny in other circumstances: of all continents Australia has effectively unlimited power available from the sun, and with a modicum of planning for generation and storage could be getting on for FF independence PDQ. With a huge solar panel base manufacturing them here and exporting them shouldn't be beyond the wit of man, and even politicians at a pinch, with the jobs tagging along.
Tindo manufacture panels in adelaide. Marginally more expensive than chinese imports, but very high quality long lasting panels. Exceptional customer service too.

Not sure how his own compny paying above valuation to australian taxpayers is in his best personal interests. Seems the only winner is taxpayers.

'He sold' meant 'his privately owned company sold'. Can't recall the exact figures, but for example's sake..

Government department values water rights for privately owned land at $20m. Barnaby and Angus say "No, that's not enough, we want to spend $80m of tax payer's money for the water rights".

They then sign off and pay $80m for the water rights over the privately owned land. Which their department valued at $20m.

And funnily enough the company that owns the land is/was owned by Angus Taylor.

Hope that's cleared that up for you.

'He sold' meant 'his privately owned company sold'. Can't recall the exact figures, but for example's sake..

Government department values water rights for privately owned land at $20m. Barnaby and Angus say "No, that's not enough, we want to spend $80m of tax payer's money for the water rights".

They then sign off and pay $80m for the water rights over the privately owned land. Which their department valued at $20m.

And funnily enough the company that owns the land is/was owned by Angus Taylor.

Hope that's cleared that up for you.
Ok thanks, I took sold as being the government sold. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: Hairyman and OzVic
You need enough people to get excited for the future you believe can happen.
Sort of disagree. I think you need a government that governs, and does the right thing even if enough people aren't excited for it.
Our governments lie enough to get elected, they could at least lie about doing the right thing for a change :)
"Sure, we will open a new gas plant in the Upper Hunter" ... gets elected ... "psych! we are going to invest heavily in renewables and you'll all have to suffer with clean air and a liveable planet for your grandchildren, haha!"

So people should expect to get the opposite of what they voted for?
My point is that governments who are honest tend to be unelectable, so to get elected you have to lie.
My wish is for a government that lies so that it can into power to do good, rather than get power.

As an example of an honest candidate being unelectable:
Mr Dodgy: I will build new roads, schools and hospitals but not raise taxes or increase deficit.
Mr Honest: I will build new roads, schools and hospitals and will increase tax and borrow money to do it.

Mr Dodgy gets elected and builds new roads, schools and hospitals and increases taxes and borrows money to do it.

My point is that governments who are honest tend to be unelectable, so to get elected you have to lie.
My wish is for a government that lies so that it can into power to do good, rather than get power.

As an example of an honest candidate being unelectable:
Mr Dodgy: I will build new roads, schools and hospitals but not raise taxes or increase deficit.
Mr Honest: I will build new roads, schools and hospitals and will increase tax and borrow money to do it.

Mr Dodgy gets elected and builds new roads, schools and hospitals and increases taxes and borrows money to do it.
There is a lot that could occur to force truth during elections. The media could also play a part but then again much of the mainstream media has the same problem with truth

There is a lot that could occur to force truth during elections. The media could also play a part but then again much of the mainstream media has the same problem with truth
I hear some pretty astute questions being asked of politicians all the time, with politicians repeated avoiding giving a straight answer. Good, tough questions seem to come from many people, plus a bit of the usual waffle.

As for MSM in general, I find smaller non-mainstream media outlets to be even worse. They seem to be even more partisan/biased/niche, and with less regard for the truth. Of course, that extreme partisanship means each of them will find a nice little audience of likeminded punters, with the viewing public being ever-more segregated into these ever-smaller unreliable echo chambers.

Reactions: Hovean and paulp