Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyed at Tesla Retail Store... referral codes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a friend of mine, asked me for my referral code, since he would get $1,000 off. I didn't tell my friend that i get a benefit from it, since its negligble.

I reached out the friend and asked if he placed the order for the car, and he said he did, and the sales guy asked him to use his code instead of mine... My friend didn't know the difference and said that's fine.

i'm a bit annoyed at that... I do not think the inside sales should compete against us... it's shady since my friend didn't know there is a benefit for the referrer.

I'm at 3 referrals, so 2 more for the wheels but still annoyed...

So a friend of mine, asked me for my referral code, since he would get $1,000 off. I didn't tell my friend that i get a benefit from it, since its negligble.

I reached out the friend and asked if he placed the order for the car, and he said he did, and the sales guy asked him to use his code instead of mine... My friend didn't know the difference and said that's fine.

i'm a bit annoyed at that... I do not think the inside sales should compete against us... it's shady since my friend didn't know there is a benefit for the referrer.

I'm at 3 referrals, so 2 more for the wheels but still annoyed...

That sucks... Chances are, your friend could still change it until it's time to finalize.

You should report this to corporate. Employees of course can't participate, but it doesn't stop an employee from directing referrals to someone else and quietly taking kick-backs. I'm sure that's cause for termination.

My sales guy asked if I had a referral code. I was going to pull one up from this website but he asked if I would mind if he used his. I didn't think anything of it since I don't personally know anyone who has a Tesla. I assume it was a friend/good customer of his.

Also, what do you mean by "2 more for the wheels"? Is there somewhere I can look to see what you get for each referral?

My sales guy asked if I had a referral code. I was going to pull one up from this website but he asked if I would mind if he used his. I didn't think anything of it since I don't personally know anyone who has a Tesla. I assume it was a friend/good customer of his.

Also, what do you mean by "2 more for the wheels"? Is there somewhere I can look to see what you get for each referral?
Referral Program

This is exactly the issue that Tesla Corporate is trying to avoid. Sales people doing things for their own incentive which ends up hurting their other programs which are aimed at their customers helping promote sales.

It should be explicitly stated that in house sales are not allowed to ask to use referral codes.

Referral Program