Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying external speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2018 Tesla X 75D and had an embarrassing incident where one side of a business call I took in the car very early one morning was booming across the neighborhood much louder than what I could hear in the car. I cannot find any setting to stop this. Any experience or ideas on how to prevent this other than turning off Bluetooth. I see it has likely always been a problem and no one had ever complained to me about it before. I cannot imagine why this would be the default setting.

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
It does not — I own one and they didn't add the external speaker until 2020. Either you're trolling, mistaken, or your car was modified/retrofitted with one!
Even if so, the default behavior is not to pipe phone calls through the external speaker. I don’t think that’s even an option on cars that do have an external speaker. Only music, fart sounds or megaphone.

Reactions: spectrum
Upvote 0
We'll that's what is happening. I'll check with service the next time I'm in to see why this is happening. This is a disappointing forum to be sure
Google says speaker added in 2019.
Screenshot_20230921_142132_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Even if so, the default behavior is not to pipe phone calls through the external speaker. I don’t think that’s even an option on cars that do have an external speaker. Only music, fart sounds or megaphone.
Have you been outside of the vehicle while someone else was on a call? Seem you could then track down this speaker if it existed. Wouldn't surprise me if you find out it's the door speakers, though. The speakers likely aren't in acoustic boxes; there may not be any sound insulation in the doors at all, and they are relatively thin sheet metal. Point of reference, I've never listened to my music very loud, but I once had someone give me a dirty look for having my music too loud in a 1993 sedan with the windows closed. It may have seemed louder outside than inside under very specific conditions, or the person may have thought it was relatively loud (and therefore must be loud inside), but it most certainly did not have an external speaker. Separately, inside buildings, I have been in rooms with no speakers where the sound was louder than the adjoining room that has speakers. Acoustics can be interesting, but there's nothing magical about the back of a speaker cone to prevent it from generating the same sound as the front.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
We'll that's what is happening. I'll check with service the next time I'm in to see why this is happening. This is a disappointing forum to be sure
I agree... Sometimes this forum is one notch below reddit. That being said, I have a 2020 and one time the game we were playing started glitching and broadcasting out to external speakers! The entire neighborhood had to hear us finish a level of skyforce reloaded lol. I'd bet that isn't supposed to happen and it was a coding glitch?

Upvote 0