Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying little issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Using iPhone to unlock, I can not remove the charging cable without first opening a door

2. For some reason my monitor turns to satellite view in the evening and street view in the daytime. Is there a way to manually control the screen?

3. Would really like a forward facing camera that can see the concrete parking bumper that can tear up your front bumper. Seems like sensor sees over the concrete bumper and gives you a sense that you have more room than actually exists.

Still love the car, just want it better.

2. For some reason my monitor turns to satellite view in the evening and street view in the daytime. Is there a way to manually control the screen?
The map display has a day mode and a night mode. Each mode remembers its own settings, independent of the other. If you touch anywhere on the map, three icons will appear in the lower right corner of the map. The topmost icon looks like a globe, and will allow you to toggle the satellite imagery for whichever mode is currently being displayed.

Using iPhone to unlock, I can not remove the charging cable without first opening a door

The Stats App (and perhaps other apps too) allow you to use Siri shortcuts to unlock the charge port or open the frunk, if you want. Nice to not have to take your phone out of your pocket (if you have an Apple Watch this actually works...).

Tesla should allow Siri shortcuts natively in their app of course.

Reactions: RBowen
I just touch the door handle to wake the car (but not open the door) I wait a few seconds for it to wake and then remove the charger (which works because I have my phone in my pocket). Oh, and when I remove the charger, it unlocks and unfolds my side mirrors. Touching the handle isn't perfect, but if it saves me vampire drain, it's ok

What would be mind-boggling is a car that makes it's own lane changes but can't turn off the signal because they used a normal stalk.

What they can't do is they can't turn off the signal from a user selected lane change where the user fully depressed on the stalk. So it would be stuck on unless the user moves it.

Personally I preferred the Model S stalk which was a normal stalk. This was on a 2015 so I'm not sure if they stuck with the same one on recent Model S/X vehicles.

But, I don't know if that preference is really because of the detent or the lack of consistency in the Model 3 turn signal that I have. There are quite a few people that had issues with the mechanism, and it turned out that quite a few were defective.

I see it being a design choice that favored cost, and FSD consideration (to have full control over the turn signal indicators) over manually driving. The problem is that we're going to be manually driving this car for years. We still don't have non-user confirmed automated lane changes.

Last edited:
What they can't do is they can't turn off the signal from a user selected lane change where the user fully depressed on the stalk. So it would be stuck on unless the user moves it.

Personally I preferred the Model S stalk which was a normal stalk. This was on a 2015 so I'm not sure if they stuck with the same one. on recent Model S/X vehicles.

But, I don't know if that preference is really because of the detent or the lack of consistency in the Model 3 turn signal that I have. There are quite a few people that had issues with the mechanism, and it turned out that quite a few were defective.

I’ve owned a 2013 S, 2015 S, and a 2018 Model 3. I agree the Model 3 stalk reminds me of BMWs. I’ve not heard any complaints from people in my family about their experience with the Model 3 stalks so these reports of people really hating them do make me wonder how many are simply defective. I’d much rather have “fan speed” control on the steering wheel as my one feature I miss most when I drive our Model 3 instead of the Model S.

Not a fan of the turn stalk myself. There’s no reason why one with a proper detente could not work with the eventual automated driving. Within the constraints of the current design, it would be a lot better if the springs that push it back offered a less spongy feel.

While we’re on that subject, a larger and more obvious pair of flashing turn icons would also help. As is, there’s a tiny area in the middle of the icon that changes color, not something that one can easily catch in the peripheral vision.

Also, the fake turn signal relay noise is quite weak. It could be louder and should perhaps auto-adjust to account for the level of ambient noise (the 3 is a pretty loud car).

I was wondering the same thing. The 3 has the same turn signals as my last two cars (MB & BMW). How are they on the S?

In Model S, when you put on the turn signal, the stalk locks in place until you finish the turn, or you manually return it to center.

I've gotten used to the 3 now, and the "regular" stalks mess me up. I really like being able to cancel the signal by using the stalk in either direction (to just the first detent).

I confess I did not understand when people complained of the turn stalk. Now I know why...I've been driving a BMW for the last 8 years (which by the way feels like a total slug when I drive it now, and it used to be my 'dream car'). Turn signal is fine for me, but now I understand why others have noticed an issue.

Nope, I don’t get the complaint. I drove Mercedes for twenty years before the M3. Mercedes makes the M3 stalk. The M3 stalk works and feels just like a Mercedes stalk. Unless defective It’s a high-quality part, easy to get used to the detents. And cancelling in either direction makes me look a lot less dumb when I miss the first detent.