Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual service before or after insurance authorized repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nagi J

Sep 27, 2018
My Tesla Model 3 was recently rear ended. The damage appears cosmetic from estimator's view, but the rear bumper and assembly needs to be replaced. We are still waiting for parts to arrive to do the repair - repairs being done an authorized repair shop (body repair, so Tesla service wont do this). I am also due for my second year maintenance at Tesla service center. I am debating whether I should do the service (where they also do full checks) prior to doing the body repairs OR after doing the body repairs. Anybody with similar experience (or not) please offer your perspectives. Thanks in advance.

I just had the 2 year annual maintenance. I skipped first year. As part of the job they overcharged my AC (so didn’t work) and 2 caps were left off (brake fluid and one other fluid). Since the AC didn’t work, I had mobile service come by to diagnose AC issue where he noted the missing caps. Basically I am here to say that honestly I don’t know how careful and therefore useful the service center will be in checking things. I think they are stretched beyond capacity with all the Model 3s and just trying to survive, so I think if you need to just get it done you could get the service done—not sure if they will really look closely after the body repair to see if anything is amiss.

They did replace retrofit my legacy front door latches though so it evens out for the issues I had. Also, the mobile technician and the SC representative when I returned to have the AC fix were both shocked that small details like the caps were missing occurred and I appreciated their empathy.

My Tesla Model 3 was recently rear ended. The damage appears cosmetic from estimator's view, but the rear bumper and assembly needs to be replaced. We are still waiting for parts to arrive to do the repair - repairs being done an authorized repair shop (body repair, so Tesla service wont do this). I am also due for my second year maintenance at Tesla service center. I am debating whether I should do the service (where they also do full checks) prior to doing the body repairs OR after doing the body repairs. Anybody with similar experience (or not) please offer your perspectives. Thanks in advance.

Second year on a Model 3? Personally, i’d wait until the body work is complete. This is the Model X forum, FWIW