Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another brand new MY 2022 issue - Screen is black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car was parked in garage overnight, not plugged in, and has about 250 kilometer range.
At around 7 am, I was going to take the car to Tesla to get the trunk misalignment and undercarriage tray fixed, I have the key in my wallet and phone with me, door opened fine, but screen was black. tried to press brake, still black screen. left the car and locked the door then unlocked, still black screen. tried to hold brake and switch gear up and down I could hear the motor was engaged but screen was still black. Pressed P and held P still black. Was going to google, then the screen came on, with Tesla logo. I have never seen tesla logo, I always see the home screen with cars on the left, map or controls on the right.

So is this normal? or for some reason the computer turned it of had to reboot? But if that is the case, when switching gear works? (still no display, complete black).

thanks

Car was parked in garage overnight, not plugged in, and has about 250 kilometer range.
At around 7 am, I was going to take the car to Tesla to get the trunk misalignment and undercarriage tray fixed, I have the key in my wallet and phone with me, door opened fine, but screen was black. tried to press brake, still black screen. left the car and locked the door then unlocked, still black screen. tried to hold brake and switch gear up and down I could hear the motor was engaged but screen was still black. Pressed P and held P still black. Was going to google, then the screen came on, with Tesla logo. I have never seen tesla logo, I always see the home screen with cars on the left, map or controls on the right.

So is this normal? or for some reason the computer turned it of had to reboot? But if that is the case, when switching gear works? (still no display, complete black).

thanks

It rebooted itself for some reason. I know something similar happened to me a couple of times with the original SW version, but I don't think it has happened since.

Mention it when you drop your car off so they can pull the logs and see if it detected a problem that caused the reboot.

Normal. I've had this happen 3-4 times in 35k miles. Annoying and unsettling, because every time, I find myself going the "what if" route...what if this were to occur while driving at 75mph? Answer? The car will drive like a normal car, but w/o the screen info.

Yeah, something caused the computer to crash and the logo is what you see when it reboots. I saw it once or twice on the software the car was delivered with. I've seen it since then, occasionally when trying to launch a game or something.

There's nothing to worry about if it happens while driving. I've rebooted the computer while in traffic before -- everything functions as normal, you just lose the screen for about 30 seconds.