Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another FUD EV Article by David Booth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In today's National Post driving.ca section, David Booth spews off about the dirtiness of EV vehicle battery production.

Motor Mouth: A few more inconvenient truths about EV CO2 emissions

The study quoted is by the University of Michigan ( heavily funded by the Auto manufacturers ). In his battery production diatribe he conveniently leaves out the CO2 emissions generated by the gasoline refining process, diesel truck delivery to gas stations, and gas station operating infrastructure emissions.

It's not FUD. it's pretty factual. And don't forget the big 3 already sell 3x as many electric cars as tesla...they're not conspiring against e cars. They're about to dominate the e car market. Tesla is about to be a niche player. Sure lots of those sold are PHEV but PHEV make more sense right now. They're evolving to bigger battery PHEV AND once a global charging infrastructure is there, they'll move to 100% EV.

Some people seem to think these batteries are made of old leaves and the power plants that charge them (grid) are all hydro and wind powered. They're not.

Booth is making the case that just buying an electric car isn't solving the world's energy or environmental problems in one swipe of a pen on the buy contract. Which is what some uninformed electric car drivers seem to think about their green cars. He's probably tired of the pious electric car owners who shove it in everyone's face, without much knowledge of the dirty elements of the big picture that goes into making their car move.

I do think he comes across as a bit of a dick head and those sunglasses on his headshot have to go.

2017-sales-chart-October-vfinal1.png

Reactions: MarcoRP
This may rub people the wrong way, because I'm so tired of the ignorance around this topic, but please bear with me. I will begin by offering a tip: a quick way to tell if an article about the environment impact of EV's is full of $hi! is if the author doesn't distinguish the difference between energy consumption and pollution.

As an example, think of the difference between a gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines. The gasoline engines are typically half the thermodynamic efficiency of their diesel counterparts, but produce a quarter of the pollution (more explicitly sulphur oxides (SOx), nitrogen oxides (NOx), and particulate matter (PM), a lot of which is highly carcinogenic). That's why diesel engines are cheaper to run, but are worse for the environment. When VW did "diesel-gage", they gained 3% in overall thermodynamic efficiency at a cost of 4x more pollution!

As another example, think of generating 1 kWh of energy (I think people are more comfortable energy units of kWh than joules) from coal verses natural gas. The thermodynamic efficiency is not too far apart with coal being 33.8% efficient in Alberta (where I live) and natural gas being 44.5% efficient. That means natural gas produces about 32% more electrons than heat. However, when we talk pollution, coal produces literally millions (perhaps tens of millions) of times more pollution. And here's the kicker, coal plants are not all created equal. The difference between the best and the worst, in terms of pollution (not thermodynamic efficiency, though that's improved as well) can be a couple orders of magnitude or more!

Now here's some food for thought: a gasoline engine in a typical car is 15% thermodynamically efficient while driving down the highway (ideal conditions). In Calgary (again where I live), our city is electrically powered from 86% natural gas and 14% renewables. Remember that the natural gas is 45% thermodynamically efficient, so we're getting 3x more useful energy or 1/3 the amount of waste-heat. The gasoline engine is also producing millions to hundreds of millions of times more pollution.

Finally, remember that this is comparing energy at our power plant to gasoline already in a gas car. If you want to talk total environmental impact, I can certainly provide all the calculations and citations. Believe it or not, I'm trying to keep this as brief as possible. Needless to say, they're virtually incomparable in terms of pollution. In terms of energy consumption, the difference is still AT LEAST 5 times better.

At the end of the day, the litmus test is, how much does your EV cost you to drive a kilometer in terms of electricity? Depending on how "lead-footed" you are, what kind of ICE vehicle would you need to drive exactly the same way? What is its fuel economy? How much would that cost you? I bet you it's 5 - 20x more expensive, depending on where you live. That's because you're using 1/5 to 1/20 the amount of energy folks... never-mind the dramatically reduced pollution, even if you're 100% coal powered, because of extraction, transportation, distribution, consumption, and particulate capture (if applicable) improvements at a power plant, that simply is impossible to do between the front of an ICE engine and the tail pipe at the other end.

I could also comment on the factually incorrect comments about solar generation (and its comparison to other energy sources) and how impactful the EV battery actually is on the environment, but this is already a long enough post!

Last edited:
Smart Electric Drive: Smart Fortwo from cradle to grave emissions

Viewed over the entire life cycle, the contribution to the greenhouse effect made by the smart fortwo electric drive with renewably generated electricity is almost 60 percent less than with comparable gasoline-driven vehicles.

This is one of the reasons I bought my Smart Electric. It uses the least amount of materials in production, and least amount of energy to drive. There is no cleaner choice except for public transit or ride sharing.

Reactions: Jaff
You Albertans love your hydrocarbons. Here in Ontario 90%+ of our electricy comes from non-carbon sources and 9% from gas. And the gas share is falling all the time.
Good for you. Ontario is lucky they got their nukes installed before NIMBYism and FUD prevented any new nukes from being installed anywhere else in the country. It would be great if Alberta could have replaced all of their coal with nuclear too, but fat chance that will happen with all the red tape, regulation, project price increases and BANANAs/NIMBYs everywhere. We love our hydrocarbons because it was the cheapest most abundant source of energy we could get at the time, and we seriously love it when the rest of the country keeps reminding us of that fact. BC has mountains, we have dead dinosaurs, you have radioactive material. Get on with it.

Back to the article, these guys are so common, they always cherry pick stats that fit their own narrative. The sad part of his article is his primary point that he gets to - that "Tesla battery production releases as much CO2 as eight years of gasoline driving". Most vehicles last much longer than that, so obviously you have to look at a cradle-to-grave argument, which is easy to find, but he conveniently left out.

The cheapest and most environmentally friendly vehicle he should be buying is actually to not buy a vehicle at all. For some reason I bet he drives a < 5 year old SUV or some other gas guzzler.

Last edited:
Back to the article, these guys are so common, they always cherry pick stats that fit their own narrative. The sad part of his article is his primary point that he gets to - that "Tesla battery production releases as much CO2 as eight years of gasoline driving". Most vehicles last much longer than that, so obviously you have to look at a cradle-to-grave argument, which is easy to find, but he conveniently left out.
Considering also that the lithium batteries can be recycled and will be because it makes economic sense, then his argument holds little water. If you look at the energy that it takes to smelt aluminum from bauxite it makes no sense to use it for cans, but the vast majority are recycled again and again making it highly economic and relatively environmentally friendly over alternatives.

Good for you. Ontario is lucky they got their nukes installed before NIMBYism and FUD prevented any new nukes from being installed anywhere else in the country. It would be great if Alberta could have replaced all of their coal with nuclear too, but fat chance that will happen with all the red tape, regulation, project price increases and BANANAs/NIMBYs everywhere. We love our hydrocarbons because it was the cheapest most abundant source of energy we could get at the time, and we seriously love it when the rest of the country keeps reminding us of that fact. BC has mountains, we have dead dinosaurs, you have radioactive material. Get on with it.
But there is no reason that Alberta could not replace the coal stations with Natural Gas ASAP. Ontario said in 2003 that they would phase out coal by 2007. It actually took 7 more years but the coal was gone by 2014 and it was replaced by natural gas and renewables. It isn't free but when this is done it does make EVs much cleaner as we don't want to replace ICE vehicles with EVs fueled by coal. EVs fueled by natural gas would be the best short term solution, longer term we can get more renewables installed. Why doesn't the current Alberta government have the will to do this?

Reactions: Jaff
But there is no reason that Alberta could not replace the coal stations with Natural Gas ASAP. Ontario said in 2003 that they would phase out coal by 2007. It actually took 7 more years but the coal was gone by 2014 and it was replaced by natural gas and renewables. It isn't free but when this is done it does make EVs much cleaner as we don't want to replace ICE vehicles with EVs fueled by coal. EVs fueled by natural gas would be the best short term solution, longer term we can get more renewables installed. Why doesn't the current Alberta government have the will to do this?
Maybe they don't want to spend billions of dollars and aren't addicted to running massive defecits and mountains of debt the way Ontario is. Alberta has $45 billion in debt. Ontario owes that in debt service over the next 4 years. Yes, Ontario's interest payments over 4 years = Alberta's total debt load. Ontario carries $300 billion in debt. We're the not-so-proud residents of the most indebted sub-sovereign on earth. i.e. the only other entities carrying this much debt are entire countries.

Ontario has handcuffed themselves financially for the next 3 decades thanks to their mismanaged energy plan. I hope to heck Alberta doesn't do the same and takes a cautious approach rather than saddling the province with unmanageable debts in a rush to be green too soon.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Yes the Ontario government has made a lot of stupid decisions regarding the electricity system, but that is not the sole reason for the high debt levels. And much of the wasted money is not due to switching from coal to other sources - some of it is for cancelling natural gas plants due to NIMBY-ism, and other purely political decisions.

There is a good reason that we are the highest sub-sovereign debt issuer - US states are forced to have balanced budgets so they don't have a lot of debt. There aren't as many other countries with federal systems where the sub-sovereign issues debt. And we aren't even the worst off in terms of debt service - Quebec and NL are worse.

They do have some debt but every state other than Vermont has a balanced budget requirement. Many of the US states have severely underfunded pensions as well. That is one thing that Ontario has going for it - the large provincial pension plans are fully-funded or even a bit over-funded.

There is nothing about the nature of state and local governments that prevents them from running deficits in the same manner as the U.S. federal government. A fiscal deficit is brought about whenever government revenue fails to meet government expenditures – an accounting reality that can strike any government. However, most state and local governments carry some form of legal requirement for balanced budgets.

States cannot issue debt in the same way that the federal government can. Debt requires approval of the legislature or even the voting public. The last state government to borrow long-term funds was Connecticut in 1991.

Yes the Ontario government has made a lot of stupid decisions regarding the electricity system, but that is not the sole reason for the high debt levels. And much of the wasted money is not due to switching from coal to other sources - some of it is for cancelling natural gas plants due to NIMBY-ism, and other purely political decisions.

There is a good reason that we are the highest sub-sovereign debt issuer - US states are forced to have balanced budgets so they don't have a lot of debt. There aren't as many other countries with federal systems where the sub-sovereign issues debt. And we aren't even the worst off in terms of debt service - Quebec and NL are worse.
I didn't say the sole reason was the energy spending, so let's keep that clear. Nor did you say I did, but I want to be clear. I also didn't say Ontario's energy related debts had only to do with their leaving coal behind. I referred to alberta not wanting to go down the same spend happy route Ontario has to solve its issues, be it on the elimination of coal or other arenas. I don't blame them for taking their time with it...i'm sure you've noticed, but Alberta is in a bit of a crisis with oil struggling to pass $60 for longer than 5 minutes. They're not really in a position to spend on much right now. Here's what I said:

me said:
Ontario has handcuffed themselves financially for the next 3 decades thanks to their mismanaged energy plan

their mismanaged energy plan is the key phrase there. This includes the gas plants, the shift to 'greener' energy sources, the over spending on the solar plan...all for energy we're grounding or giving away a huge chunk of.

And we can;t blame the multi billion dollar gas plant debacle on 'NIMBYISM' ...the blame lies with TERRIBLE government decision making for allowing themselves to be bought. Or to buy votes. You also can't blame an obese 4 year old for his condition because he asks for junk food when it's his parents who are caving in and shoving him full of crap food all year round. Those residents in oakville and mississauga didn't make the call on the gas plants. The provincial liberals did. They behaved like parents who give in to children, rather than doing what is right for them. In reality they were in a panic and bought votes of a couple of key ridings and paid for it by mortgaging a good chunk of the province's future.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
lol and are running between 20% and 100% leverage to meet their obligations...on that same theme.
There is nothing wrong with leverage in the way that it is being used in these organizations. And HOOPP has more than 100% leverage.

In many instances the plans are buying real or nominal bonds to hedge the interest rate risk in their liabilities. They are then repoing these bonds to buy other assets. So this is good risk management, assuming they are properly managing liquidity and counterparts risk.