Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Musk promise broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has shown that electric vehicles are practicable. But keep a sense of proportion. When Tesla has all 3 factories working flat out they'll still produce fewer cars than Nissan , less than half the cars Toyota makes. What they aren't doing is making cars affordable for average Joe and they still have a long way to go before they match the quality of the other makers. OTA updates sound wonderful but it'd be so much better if they weren't needed.
Globally there will still be a demand and dependence on fossil fuels and likely with increasing population no net reduction until fossil fuels really run out.
Lorries will continue to spew out diesel exhaust while we live in a society of consumerism and greed.
What does happen is that the wealthy few will smugly claim green credentials while queueing at ferry terminals and airports to indulge themselves in a MacDonalds in a foreign land.
If there really was going to be a transport revolution then overhead cables for electric lorries when rail transport won't do and short range battery packs for the last part of their trip and the public universally using mass transport systems.
It ain't gonna happen because of our economic dependence on car sales, fuel sales and buying disposable rubbish. Getting rid of plastic bags and cotton buds is a tiny proportion of the huge waste we generate.
And that’s why they should not report the sake of Bitcoin. Got it.

You know, I’ve been a very early adopter of EVs because I believe they are better fit that planet.

But I don’t worship Elon. Perhaps I should, but I don’t.

Reactions: Wol747
In the short term the government could raise taxes on ice cars and fuel...they could call it a green tax..that always goes down well. And for the long term...well, what government ever cares about the long term...
Erm…

In Europe we pay very little tax on electricity, I think it’s 5% charging at home in UK, we pay something like 80% tax on petrol and diesel
Road fund licence in the uk is zero on electric, £400 or so on our petrol car
Company car benefit is 2% in the uk, as high as 37% of the car value for ICE
Company tax benefits also exist in cash flow, national insurance savings etc.

Taxation on EVs is already extremely favourable, without it nobody would buy an EV. Just look at EV sales in some foreign countries when the tax advantages were removed, Italy sales fell 23% earlier this year after incentives were reduced, similar patterns have been seen all over the world following changes.

So when we say forward thinking gov could increase taxes on ICE, there’s already a massive differential.

"less than half the cars Toyota makes". I think they would be pretty proud of that statement given Toyota had a 70 year head start..

It's pretty impressive given the number of articles saying Tesla is going to go bust any day now..

Now if they'd focus on the real problems, like the customer service and the build quality, I'd likely agree with much of it. But it's always going after how big they are and how much money they make, which to me (and I'd wager much of the readership of the newspapers) is irrelevant.

Reactions: Wol747