Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another plea for Apple car play / android equivalent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Tesla had planned to offer a 3rd party API (programming interface) and have an App Store (it was one of the icons on the console menu bar). And while Tesla (Musk) talked about this for a few years, eventually this dropped off the radar, which is probably a good thing, because allowing 3rd party apps to run on the processor of a moving vehicle would increase hacking risks.

However, we still have two major problems that Tesla hasn't fixed:
  • More complete smartphone integration (for example, support for text-to-voice and voice-to-text for accessing text messages and e-mail while driving)
  • Lack of additional apps (weather, news, traffic reports, ...)
While some people have tried to use the browser as a replacement - the browser is too slow and lacks compatibility with many websites (another area where Tesla/Musk promised improvement - years ago).

Screen mirroring is an alternative that could solve both the increased smartphone integration AND access to additional apps. Tesla/Musk mentioned years ago they would provide this (more likely with their own implementation or a 3rd party - but not Apple or Android).

Tesla's window of exclusivity on long range EVs is closing. The Bolt still isn't a real threat because GM doesn't currently have a long range charging network - so Tesla remains the only manufacturer with cars that can take road trips. But that's going to change soon.

Other manufacturers will have competing long range EVs - and there will be long range charging options. Plus those vehicles are likely going to qualify for the $7500 EV tax credit, which will start phasing out for Tesla next year.

That gives Tesla about another year to address the deficiencies in the onboard apps. They are evidently working on a new navigation app (version 9.0?) - but we haven't heard anything about Tesla's plans to upgrade the media player app, increase smartphone integration or support screen mirroring.

Even though we've been long time Tesla supporters - with two Model S and hope to get a 3 soon (still promised to be Nov 17-Jan 18), when it comes time to replace one of our Tesla cars, if Tesla hasn't addressed their growing "infotainment" gap, that could be a factor in our next EV purchase.

Reactions: bak_phy
More complete smartphone integration (for example, support for text-to-voice and voice-to-text for accessing text messages and e-mail while driving)

I don't use Apple/Android but I don't understand why you need anything special for this. My Windows Phone, with Cortana, does all of this with just a BT link to the car. Are you saying that with an Apple/Android phone you don't get that functionality without CarPlay/AndroidAuto?

The last time I used Android Auto the assistant triggered twice accidentally. I'm okay with having to hit the button on my watch or squeeze the phone to get the Assistant. If I don't have the time to do that I don't have the time to use it to do anything anyway.

I don't really feel that anything meaningful has changed in the center console since my first MS was delivered Mar13. If anything it's worse now since my LTE is throttled which is making Slacker borderline useless.
Tesla should put in Apple and Android as Apps. Why should they continue to control what we want to do in our car? It feels very much like the world of phone apps before Iphone. Give us our freedom!!!!

... Are you saying that with an Apple/Android phone you don't get that functionality without CarPlay/AndroidAuto?

My brother and I recently compared AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay head-to-head on a long trip...I represented the Android side. We both agreed AA is more cartoonish looking than CP, but native Waze on AA is even better than on the phone screens. YES, Android phones with a bluetooth media connection can do all the same things (ok google commands, announce/voice reply to SMS texts, etc), but the bigger screen made it easier and less distracting.

IMHO: Better AutoPilot would negate the need for AA and CP.

I'd settle for a way to directly input siriusxm channel numbers instead of scrolling through them one by one. Like if I am on channel 8 and want to find an NBA game in the 200's, I want to just type in 213 or whatever, not scroll channel by channel.

(is there a way? There has to be a way, right?)

edit: i know there is some way to do categories, but I want to just type a channel number in.

Discussions such as these represent free market research and testing for Tesla.
As stated above Tesla's lead will diminish as copy cats inevitably catch the innovator as happens in almost all products.
The center console is a jewel that needs polishing.

I don't use Apple/Android but I don't understand why you need anything special for this. My Windows Phone, with Cortana, does all of this with just a BT link to the car. Are you saying that with an Apple/Android phone you don't get that functionality without CarPlay/AndroidAuto?

Other vehicles have better smartphone integration, without providing Apple/Android screen mirroring. Often when we rent cars on trips, we'll get incoming text or e-mail read to us by the car's audio system - and sometimes we can even send responses - all without having to touch the phone.

Since accessing text messages is something many do while driving, not only is this feature addressing a safety risk, messaging while driving is becoming illegal in more locations.

And, other than adding the limited calendar integration, we really haven't seen any improvement in the smartphone integration since the first Model S cars were sold.

Since accessing text messages is something many do while driving, not only is this feature addressing a safety risk, messaging while driving is becoming illegal in more locations.
Also of note, my 2008 BMW M5 could show you text messages on the nav screen (so you wouldn't have to pick your phone up and take your eyes off the road, a dangerous practice). My 2013 550xi M-Sport, arguably much the same car but newer, couldn't do anything with text messages.

At least Tesla, for the most part, is moving in the right direction! :D

BMW probably removed it because the research keeps showing that there is literally no way use a phone safely while driving. It's the thinking about the message and the response that causes distraction. This is something that will really be helped by self driving.

Other vehicles have better smartphone integration, without providing Apple/Android screen mirroring. Often when we rent cars on trips, we'll get incoming text or e-mail read to us by the car's audio system - and sometimes we can even send responses - all without having to touch the phone.

I still don't get it, my phone will read text messages and allow me to respond to them via any BT audio device without touching the phone. Be that a headset, car, speaker, etc. I don't need any special integration besides having a BT speaker/microphone to connect to.

I still don't get it, my phone will read text messages and allow me to respond to them via any BT audio device without touching the phone. Be that a headset, car, speaker, etc. I don't need any special integration besides having a BT speaker/microphone to connect to.

I'd like better control over the phone on the large center screen including showing text messages, more control over media being played on a phone, some apps with integration with the console (like podcast apps for instance), etc. Voice control has it's ups and downs no matter which device you are using it on. It tends to be harder to use with windows down or in a noisy car cabin.

It's insane that such an advanced car doesn't have some basic phone integration features like this. Even if they'd just let me pick a playlist and a song on the playlist and trigger shuffle, etc. on media being played on my phone I'd be super happy. It's really not intuitive to do things like that via voice command.

I would like to second the notion of 1/2 of the screen using tesla apps (my camera is always in the top 1/2) and android auto on the bottom half. My phone is so much better for everything than our poor, outdated MCU. Tesla has never and will never be able to keep up with usable software on the MCU. It is way past time to join the android auto/apple car play crowd, which is everyone else.

because allowing 3rd party apps to run on the processor of a moving vehicle would increase hacking risks.

I don't know why Tesla dropped plans to allow apps on the MCU, but hacking is obviously zero concern to them. The browser built in to every Model S is already a monumental hacking risk, worse than any third party app could possible try and be on purpose. It's completely open to any hacking you want to do and there are so many published vulnerabilities for it you'd spend more time picking out which one to use than you would building your hack. It was an old and outdated browser in 2012, by now it's ancient and exploits are so thoroughly documented that frankly I'm amazed there aren't dozens of "UnlockMyBatteryAndAutopilotForFree.COM" websites already. This speaks well to the sort of people thta own Tesla, to avoid doing something so easy and financially worthwhile. The iPhone, for example, was hacked in only a few days or weeks every time it had similarly unpatched vulnerabilities. Tesla owners have ignored a browser more easily hacked than iPhones ever were. Bravo!

I'd love more apps - real Waze integration for example is an absolute necessity, but I know hacking concerns are not the reason we don't have them.

Last edited:
I’m all for CarPlay or Android on the Tesla center console but think that it’s unlikely to occur anytime soon. I’d be glad to be surprised. My understanding is that CarPlay requires Apple certified Bluetooth in order to work so if it were introduced would it therefore require older cars to upgrade the MCU to something compatible?

A workable stop gap for the media player deficiencies would have been a decent browser upgrade that enabled music streaming and possibly microphone input. This would have opened up the possibility of getting a streaming service to play through the browser if not some voice control for those who need it. Frankly I think at this point that even this would be unsatisfying to many users as solutions from competing products seem to be more advanced. And as many have noted the browser in its current state is miserable, bug prone, and a security liability. I think Tesla should update it so that it can at the very least stream music or hide it somewhere to avoid the customer dissatisfaction of having something so obviously terrible in their product.

As for screen mirroring, I can’t imagine how this would work with a device like the iPhone, at least not with touch screen support. They might be able to do something on Android but it’s unlikely this is something Apple would support. The only workaround I can imagine is if the screen mirroring occurred via the Tesla app such that the Tesla app could use the center console as a display. This might give users access to the phones media library at least but might also require the app to be running in order to work. In any case it’s pretty speculative that they would devote resources to such a partial solution.