Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Prediction Thread: Guess the top end price

What do you think a fully loaded Model 3 will cost?

• 40,000 - 45,000

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 45,000 - 50,000

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 50,000 - 55,000

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • 55,000 - 60,000

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • 60,000 - 65,000

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • 65,000 - 70,000

Votes: 52 22.9%
  • 70,000 - 75,000

Votes: 40 17.6%
  • 75,000+

Votes: 51 22.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But of course, by targeting the BMW 3-Series, Tesla Motors makes it quite obvious they will be tuning the suspension to at least match and probably surpass it. As mentioned earlier, BMW has already been beaten. With so many examples of how to beat them in handling from all the other competitors, Tesla is very likely to examine them all, and improve upon whichever they determine is the best.

I sure hope they manage to do that. Thanks for the video I will check them out. That same guy with the S-Class vs Tesla also was the one that said that the Tesla is not as fun as a Charger Hellcat on the track. I can't wait to see some head to head comparisons when the Model 3 is released. I do think that Tesla has a lot of homework to do to start competing with the 3-series sized cars when it comes to competing on the track. You have to remember that a lot of the cars that are beating the BMW M3 are from GM like the Camaro, Cadillac, etc... because they learned all that info from developing the Corvette which started killing it on the track with the C5.

YES... and, NO.

The options list for the Model ☰ will be rather short compared to other manufacturers. Check out the Porsche website. They have something like 200+ individual option choices on every vehicle they offer. I expect that Tesla Motors will simplify the order process as much as possible. This doesn't mean there will be 'hard line in the concrete' designations like 'DX, LX, EX, SE' -- with locked in options packages that are available only at particular trim levels... But for the sake of making sure orders can be fulfilled in a streamlined fashion, Tesla will want to control the ease by which a vehicle can be built. The fewer variables, the easier it will be to do that. Because ultimately, Tesla is very serious about selling the Model ☰ en masse, as quickly as possible, to as many customers as possible.

Certain hardware features will be standard issue on every car they sell. Certain options will be available on any car. Certain options will only be available with Dual Motor All Wheel Drive, for instance. Certain options will simply not appear unless you request the Performance version of the car. I believe those will be the general 'trim' levels for Model ☰.

I agree with this. I just think some underestimate the additional cost in doing completely custom optioned cars. It makes a lot of sense in the luxury game but I have seen more companies go to the Honda model (Nissan is starting to for example) when it comes to the segment that addresses the majority of the population. Maybe Tesla never intends to compete in the Honda/Camry space but if they do then they'll need to start having some inventory around and maybe that means direct ship and it is stored somewhere. When you compete in the Honda/Camry space you often have to have cars because many people who buy those kind of cars decide to buy a new car because their car had a major breakdown or got totaled and can't wait a month or two for a car. Maybe a few days...

I do think that Tesla has a lot of homework to do to start competing with the 3-series sized cars when it comes to competing on the track. You have to remember that a lot of the cars that are beating the BMW M3 are from GM like the Camaro, Cadillac, etc... because they learned all that info from developing the Corvette which started killing it on the track with the C5.
I'm not convinced that most buyers of the Model 3 will care very much about its track performance. Real-world handling on the road? For sure. Quick acceleration at a light or onto a highway, or when passing? Definitely. I look forward to the looks of dismay on BMW drivers when I pull up next to them at a light in my Model 3 (or should, I say, the look of dismay in my rear view mirror). :)

I agree with this. I just think some underestimate the additional cost in doing completely custom optioned cars. It makes a lot of sense in the luxury game but I have seen more companies go to the Honda model (Nissan is starting to for example) when it comes to the segment that addresses the majority of the population. Maybe Tesla never intends to compete in the Honda/Camry space but if they do then they'll need to start having some inventory around and maybe that means direct ship and it is stored somewhere. When you compete in the Honda/Camry space you often have to have cars because many people who buy those kind of cars decide to buy a new car because their car had a major breakdown or got totaled and can't wait a month or two for a car. Maybe a few days...
That's a good point and I do think that at the lower end of the market the "my car just died and I need something now" is more common. But Model 3 is still not the lower end of the market. I think the Model 3 is going to be in high enough demand for the first year or two, that they will be almost exclusively built to order. They'll spend at least a year catching up with the backlog of orders that will be flooding in between now and the launch.

Here it is March - six months after the "official launch" of the Model X - and most Tesla stores still don't even have any available to sit in or take for a test drive. When Tesla starts to catch up with demand of the Model 3, it's possible that they'll build out their inventory for the Model 3 in some of the most popular configurations and provide these to stores. They may be flagged as inventory/loaner/test drive cars at first, but Tesla stores will probably be happy enough to sell them to buyers who simply can't wait for a custom built one.

S3XY: Personally, I like both versions a lot, but prefer Nu Shooz...

ummgood: If you are using a mobile device, you may have to use the RETURN key twice to make a separate paragraph.

MrBoylan: Agreed. Real World Performance is of greater importance than track runs, no matter what Porsche fans say. People who shop for new cars don't do so to replace jalopies... Those who had a sudden death vehicle are more likely to replace them with a 'New To Me' vehicle from a used car lot. And Tesla Motors would be well served to have a full fleet of demos/loaners for Model ☰ on their lots throughout the US by October 1, 2017 -- if not sooner.

Reactions: MrBoylan
S3XY: Personally, I like both versions a lot, but prefer Nu Shooz...
ummgood: If you are using a mobile device, you may have to use the RETURN key twice to make a separate paragraph.

MrBoylan: Agreed. Real World Performance is of greater importance than track runs, no matter what Porsche fans say. People who shop for new cars don't do so to replace jalopies... Those who had a sudden death vehicle are more likely to replace them with a 'New To Me' vehicle from a used car lot. And Tesla Motors would be well served to have a full fleet of demos/loaners for Model ☰ on their lots throughout the US by October 1, 2017 -- if not sooner.

I am using Chrome on a Windows 7 PC and my returns don't show up.

I think you are right about jalopies except for engineers. More times than I can count I have had a coworker that drove the same car for 10 to 20 years (usually their first car during college or after college). Then when that thing finally dies they can justify getting what they want. I have seen a 15 year old Corolla driver now driving a brand new Audi A6. Then another has a new BMW 435i from a Honda Accord. They go from a really cheap car that they could afford 10 to 15 years ago and are making much better pay so they can afford the luxury car. Not all are like this but it is more common than you think. They often wait until the car dies for good or gets totaled. I think they are practical until their hand is forced.

I am using Chrome on a Windows 7 PC and my returns don't show up.
Try holding the [SHIFT] key on the keyboard, then pressing [RETURN]. That may allow your carriage returns to come through.

I have seen a 15 year old Corolla driver now driving a brand new Audi A6. Then another has a new BMW 435i from a Honda Accord.
So... They both downgraded then, eh? Poor guys. No way those cars will last 15 years... ;)