Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it working! I made sure ground was ok, and took everything off amp and reconnected one by one. I did t realize the light I was seeing in amp was that it was going into protected mode. Red not it blue, so I think I had bad ground connection. All good now. Now just need to tune and put back together. Seems like a lot of knobs. Not sure which ones to mess with on either amp or xlca. I will start with nvx recommendations and go from there. Thanks for all your help! And if you have any advice on tuning im all ears.

Hey, nice! Glad to hear you got it working. I just got mine delivered and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks.

I don't have any real advice regarding tuning. I use profiling tools to get a clean starting baseline for a flat EQed stereo, and then slightly tweak the EQ for preference. Without using tuning tools like a RTA (real time analyzer) I don't know how people go about tuning, except simply by what sounds good to them. I don't like that approach because there so many knobs and dials it's easy to get lost in the weeds.

For just an added subwoofer and no other tweaks, you can probably get away with starting with low volume/gain and keep turning it up until you get the sound you are looking for. Use song tracks that are uncompressed off USB or Tidal so you can be sure you are getting the full frequency response. Use tracks you already know very well.

Interesting, thanks for posting. You are the first person I've heard of who had the NVX setup throw errors. Anything unique about your setup, like a different amp than the VADM1? Also what is the exact error? A fellow on Reddit had some errors that he originally thought was caused by his Hansshow type F amp, but actually wound up being that his DC-DC converter failed and was replaced by Tesla.

People using the penthouse connector for really monster amps, like 3000W of power are using a relay protection circuit to keep the amps from having a huge in-rush current draw and triggering the Model 3 DC-DC converter protection circuits. Should be unnecessary for an amp as small as the VADM1. Here is a good writeup with some background:

Sorry I don't remember what the error was. My amp is only 500 watts and a single 12 inch sub. Here is the amp info

Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime 1-Channel​

I installed my NVX sub kit over the weekend. I have an SR+, so I am using the TeslaOffer harness so I don’t tap factory wiring. They now list a harness with sub leads, you should probably get that one. I used the TeslaOffer installation video and the NVX installation video to get things installed.

I was planning on removing the pins from the TeslaOffer harness to remove insulation and solder my new wires to the sub and seal with heat shrink, but wasn’t able to get the pins to properly release. I broke some of the plastic of the first pin I tried so decided to just use some taps instead. I used 16 gauge Red, brown and orange wires to match the factory harness colors, and I labeled with my labeler maker.
he acrylic to the M3 plastic piece I used #8 1” bolts with washers, nuts and Loctite. I used some felt between the two pieces to also reduce vibration.
Hi
at what level are the right left speakers connected on TeslaOffer harness?
Is it with connectors provided in TeslaOffer harness?
I would like to be able to dismantle the audio installation without leaving any traces.
How did you do it?
Is the connection of the front speakers easier with TeslaOffer harness than using Posi-Tap terminals at the output output of the original amplifier?

I installed this a few weeks ago and revised it last weekend when we finally got a day where it wasn't -40 outside.

The TL;DR: Great sub at a very reasonable price point. I highly recommend it if you want some extra bass without taking up a lot of space.

The long version:

I have absolutely no audio experience and am a novice overall with car stuff (panels, wiring, etc.). Thank you to the people on this forum who contributed, allowing me to give this a try. I struggled more than most will because of my lack of experience.

I have a Model 3 LR so this was a lot easier for me than for the people with SR models. Overall, I spent about 8 hours on day 1 to get everything in and working. I was out of time that day so I copied settings previously posted on here. I spent another 3 hours last weekend using a voltmeter to set the LOC and amp up properly. It took me a lot of time, but I could see it being a 3-4 hour job to install/tune for someone with experience. I turned the bass knob to max, set the LOC to output 5V at 75% volume on my 50Hz/-5dB test tone then adjusted my amp to be at 25.2V. The major difference is that after using the voltmeter, I had to increase the BassX a lot more. My output on the LOC also didn't cause the maximized light to go on with the test tone (which is how I set it up the first time). Overall I think the sub sounds a bit cleaner and less boomy now. The settings posted by others on here are excellent though and if you don't want to spend the time using a voltmeter, they'll do the job no problem.

My major struggles:

1) The fricken jack nut. There are not enough expletives in the world to describe this thing. I thought I'd be smart, use a smaller drill bit and take my time. I spent about 30 min making the hole a tiny bit larger and retesting. Once the base of the jack nut fit into the hole, I figured I could jam it in with a bit of force and it would stay in properly that way. Don't be an idiot like me...the jack nut ended up deforming so badly that I wasted another 30 min with needle nose pliers trying to make it useable. In the end I made the hole larger, put the jack nut through and superglued it to the frame so that it wouldn't spin. I had to use my power drill to get the bolt into the jack nut because I couldn't fix it up perfectly with the pliers.

2) Positioning the sub properly. I rotated the clip to get the hole to line up, but I couldn't get the sub to fit properly. It wasn't good enough to get the jack nut and upper plastic trunk liner on so I had to leave those out until I got time to fix it up last weekend. I took all of the trunk liners out and re-did the positioning, that seemed to do the job. I think the first time my liner shifted a bit so the sub was hindered from sitting in there properly. I still have a small gap so it's not perfect, but I was able to get the jack nut and my upper trunk plastic liner in so I'm happy for now.

3) The rear back seat pillar that I removed was really tough for me to get back on. I suspect someone with car experience can do this in 30 seconds, but it took me a good 45 min the first time and another 10 the second time. In hindsight, I wonder if it's way easier to put in before you put the rear seats back in, maybe that was my problem. Using excessive force on this is completely unnecessary...I got frustrated and was pounding a bit with my fist, that didn't help. When the clips are lined up, it'll go in with very little force. The second time, I tried to line up the large upper white clip first, then the bottom and it went a lot better for me.

The wiring for the audio was much easier than I expected. Posi-taps are a cheat code for novices like me. I used 4 blue and 2 yellow. I had the older wiring from NVX with the blue/dark gray speaker wire. The dark gray is perfectly rounded and fit in the blue posi-taps better for me than the blue, so I used all gray for the 4 harness wires and the blue for ground/power. I tapped into the harness before it goes into the amp rather than at the sub as there's more space to work with this way. The LOC is resting underneath the factory amp and is going nowhere. The NVX amp is velcroed to the frame behind that rear seat pillar that I struggled with. I grounded my NVX amp to the same spot as the factory amp.

If I was to do this all over again, I'd just put the NVX amp and the LOC under the factory amp, velcroed to the frame if necessary. There is plenty of room. I was overcautious and cut my wires so long that I can't squish it all in now unless I cut and revise all of the wire, which I don't have the time for now. The power cable for the NVX amp is easily long enough to reach the penthouse even if the amp is mounted in the back.

One tip that I didn't see mentioned...before you remove the rubber seal on the bottom of the trunk in order to get the plastic liner back in properly, put some cheap masking tape (the dollarama stuff is perfect) on the bumper of your car. The glue from the rubber seal is very sticky and is easy to get on your car.

I'm really happy with the sub, it's exactly what I wanted. I'm old now and listen at fairly low volumes (20% mostly), so I like having the BassX cranked up to get good bass. Mine's around 75% I believe. There's no need to put the BassX up that high when the volume is turned up. If I throw on In the Ayer by Flo Rida and go up to 50% volume, my rear view mirror will vibrate. I used double sided mounting tape to put the bass knob for the LOC by my driver seat controls so I can adjust the bass. I have to turn the knob down a bit if I turn up the volume or it'll give me a nasty headache. I didn't bother with the bass knob that came with the amp.

With the new update, I tried setting the sub volume to max and using the factory sub. It's woefully inadequate for me without the NVX sub now. I wired the NVX out of phase and left the factory sub connected, though it's difficult for me to even notice it at the low volumes I listen at.

I installed this a few weeks ago and revised it last weekend when we finally got a day where it wasn't -40 outside.

The TL;DR: Great sub at a very reasonable price point. I highly recommend it if you want some extra bass without taking up a lot of space.

The long version:

I have absolutely no audio experience and am a novice overall with car stuff (panels, wiring, etc.). Thank you to the people on this forum who contributed, allowing me to give this a try. I struggled more than most will because of my lack of experience.

I have a Model 3 LR so this was a lot easier for me than for the people with SR models. Overall, I spent about 8 hours on day 1 to get everything in and working. I was out of time that day so I copied settings previously posted on here. I spent another 3 hours last weekend using a voltmeter to set the LOC and amp up properly. It took me a lot of time, but I could see it being a 3-4 hour job to install/tune for someone with experience. I turned the bass knob to max, set the LOC to output 5V at 75% volume on my 50Hz/-5dB test tone then adjusted my amp to be at 25.2V. The major difference is that after using the voltmeter, I had to increase the BassX a lot more. My output on the LOC also didn't cause the maximized light to go on with the test tone (which is how I set it up the first time). Overall I think the sub sounds a bit cleaner and less boomy now. The settings posted by others on here are excellent though and if you don't want to spend the time using a voltmeter, they'll do the job no problem.

My major struggles:

1) The fricken jack nut. There are not enough expletives in the world to describe this thing. I thought I'd be smart, use a smaller drill bit and take my time. I spent about 30 min making the hole a tiny bit larger and retesting. Once the base of the jack nut fit into the hole, I figured I could jam it in with a bit of force and it would stay in properly that way. Don't be an idiot like me...the jack nut ended up deforming so badly that I wasted another 30 min with needle nose pliers trying to make it useable. In the end I made the hole larger, put the jack nut through and superglued it to the frame so that it wouldn't spin. I had to use my power drill to get the bolt into the jack nut because I couldn't fix it up perfectly with the pliers.

2) Positioning the sub properly. I rotated the clip to get the hole to line up, but I couldn't get the sub to fit properly. It wasn't good enough to get the jack nut and upper plastic trunk liner on so I had to leave those out until I got time to fix it up last weekend. I took all of the trunk liners out and re-did the positioning, that seemed to do the job. I think the first time my liner shifted a bit so the sub was hindered from sitting in there properly. I still have a small gap so it's not perfect, but I was able to get the jack nut and my upper trunk plastic liner in so I'm happy for now.

3) The rear back seat pillar that I removed was really tough for me to get back on. I suspect someone with car experience can do this in 30 seconds, but it took me a good 45 min the first time and another 10 the second time. In hindsight, I wonder if it's way easier to put in before you put the rear seats back in, maybe that was my problem. Using excessive force on this is completely unnecessary...I got frustrated and was pounding a bit with my fist, that didn't help. When the clips are lined up, it'll go in with very little force. The second time, I tried to line up the large upper white clip first, then the bottom and it went a lot better for me.

The wiring for the audio was much easier than I expected. Posi-taps are a cheat code for novices like me. I used 4 blue and 2 yellow. I had the older wiring from NVX with the blue/dark gray speaker wire. The dark gray is perfectly rounded and fit in the blue posi-taps better for me than the blue, so I used all gray for the 4 harness wires and the blue for ground/power. I tapped into the harness before it goes into the amp rather than at the sub as there's more space to work with this way. The LOC is resting underneath the factory amp and is going nowhere. The NVX amp is velcroed to the frame behind that rear seat pillar that I struggled with. I grounded my NVX amp to the same spot as the factory amp.

If I was to do this all over again, I'd just put the NVX amp and the LOC under the factory amp, velcroed to the frame if necessary. There is plenty of room. I was overcautious and cut my wires so long that I can't squish it all in now unless I cut and revise all of the wire, which I don't have the time for now. The power cable for the NVX amp is easily long enough to reach the penthouse even if the amp is mounted in the back.

One tip that I didn't see mentioned...before you remove the rubber seal on the bottom of the trunk in order to get the plastic liner back in properly, put some cheap masking tape (the dollarama stuff is perfect) on the bumper of your car. The glue from the rubber seal is very sticky and is easy to get on your car.

I'm really happy with the sub, it's exactly what I wanted. I'm old now and listen at fairly low volumes (20% mostly), so I like having the BassX cranked up to get good bass. Mine's around 75% I believe. There's no need to put the BassX up that high when the volume is turned up. If I throw on In the Ayer by Flo Rida and go up to 50% volume, my rear view mirror will vibrate. I used double sided mounting tape to put the bass knob for the LOC by my driver seat controls so I can adjust the bass. I have to turn the knob down a bit if I turn up the volume or it'll give me a nasty headache. I didn't bother with the bass knob that came with the amp.

With the new update, I tried setting the sub volume to max and using the factory sub. It's woefully inadequate for me without the NVX sub now. I wired the NVX out of phase and left the factory sub connected, though it's difficult for me to even notice it at the low volumes I listen at.
Couldn't agree more on the putting something on the rear bumper after taking off the seal - I had the same problem.

I placed the amp and LOC in the cubby underneath the oem sub and amp and it works great because they are sitting against the frame so they don't overheat. I wanted to do a bracket mount like NVX did, but went the easy route lol

I agree - the jack nut is a pain the butt. I ended up getting a longer bolt because the one they supply is just a little too short so I found one at Home Depot and it's been great ever since.

I tuned my amp to really focus more on the lower notes that the oem sub cannot do well. That way I have the whole spectrum because the oem sub is a great sub, it just wasn't enough for me so that's why I added this system. I do think, at least on my 3, that if I have one of the rear seats down, the bass is much better, but then I can hear all the rattles lol, which I plan to address this spring.

So I recently bought the NVX subwoofer kit and had it professionally installed in my Model 3 SR. I love the way it integrates into the car, the remote bass control is cool, and the sound is decent. However, the electronics in the amp and/or converter emit so much radio frequency interference (RFI) that the radio won’t work anymore. Literally, the radio reception goes from 100% when disconnected to about 20% reception when connected. If I want to listen to the radio, I have to disconnect the power to the amp.

I don’t think it’s an installation issue. The place that put it in is next to the Tesla dealer and they know what they’re doing. Apparently they’ve had this before and said it is more “common” with class D amplifiers like what is included in this kit. Class A and B amps don’t emit nearly the level of RFI as class D amps.

I have reached out to NVX support for their thoughts but they’re closed for the week. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

(2018 - 2021 Tesla Model 3 Powered BOOST Kit | PBK-TM3-VSW10S2)

Class D audio amps use high frequency switching to produce audio. Without adequate input and output shielding and filtering, and shielding of the amp itself, they can give off a lot of RFI. Switching power supplies are like-wise.

I really want a sub, but I’m not willing to risk bricking the car.

Everyone has to make their own judgment call on what they are comfortable with, but in my opinion there is zero chance of bricking your car from a sub-woofer. I did a comprehensive study of the earlier errors people got with the cars, and as far as I can tell only a single person on Reddit had a failure where he had to be towed to get the DC-DC converter replaced... under warranty. That doesn't count as 'bricking', and DC-DC failures happen all the time. (However, I'm also an EE, so I understand it all the way from battery to sub, and have zero concerns.)

Moreover, at least in the US, the Magnusson-Moss act says that Tesla would have to prove that an aftermarket Sub was the reason the car failed. Simple existence of a mod is fully allowed by law. Proving an aftermarket stereo caused the car to fail would also be a real stretch, and the only way they could argue it would be from their own shoddy engineering. Which is not likely.

Class D audio amps use high frequency switching to produce audio. Without adequate input and output shielding and filtering, and shielding of the amp itself, they can give off a lot of RFI. Switching power supplies are like-wise.

I'm not sure your point here. You don't think that an aftermarket Class D stereo in an aluminum box has sufficient shielding? For EMI/RFI that would actually show up as noise in the output signals and thus be annoying to the buyer?

If you read Travis' awesome write-up his stereo was high enough resolution to hear noise in the tweeters that narrowed down to bad software in his JL DSP that he replaced. If there were any RFI/EMI noise introduced, he would have heard it.

So I recently bought the NVX subwoofer kit and had it professionally installed in my Model 3 SR. I love the way it integrates into the car, the remote bass control is cool, and the sound is decent. However, the electronics in the amp and/or converter emit so much radio frequency interference (RFI) that the radio won’t work anymore. Literally, the radio reception goes from 100% when disconnected to about 20% reception when connected. If I want to listen to the radio, I have to disconnect the power to the amp.

I don’t think it’s an installation issue. The place that put it in is next to the Tesla dealer and they know what they’re doing. Apparently they’ve had this before and said it is more “common” with class D amplifiers like what is included in this kit. Class A and B amps don’t emit nearly the level of RFI as class D amps.

I have reached out to NVX support for their thoughts but they’re closed for the week. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

(2018 - 2021 Tesla Model 3 Powered BOOST Kit | PBK-TM3-VSW10S2)
Very interesting,. I have had zero issues with radio interference. Where is your amp located and wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I really want a sub, but I’m not willing to risk bricking the car.
No issues here at all, as long as you follow what others have done. Everything I did can easily be removed and not look like anything had been done if I chose to go that route.

In the characteristics of the NVX subwoofer, it is indicated Impedance: Dual 4 ohms.
What is the load presented to the 2 ohm or 4 ohm amplifier?

I got my delivered over Christmas but have yet to get time to install my components.

I just measured the impedance of the woofer box as it comes from NVX: 2 ohms.

That means they have it internally wired with the dual 4 ohm wiring in parallel.

Reactions: Stives
Is it not preferable to associate the NVX subwoofer only with the ROCKFORD R2-500X1 amplifier (500 W RMS under 2 ohm with high level input) to simplify the installation by removing a box (LOC) and have a power of 500 W RMS instead of 300 W RMS (NVX VADM1)?

There isn’t a lot of issues I get that, but if anything goes wrong warranty is out the door.
I'd agree with bo3...I don't see how you could brick the car with this. Obviously you'd have to be cautious and follow the steps to disconnect the battery and the HV system, that's been made clear in this thread.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I figured it'll be no more risky in this car than in any other one. Worst case scenario...I'd get an error, disconnect the NVX system and tell Tesla that my car isn't working. You could uninstall this whole setup and I don't think anyone would know you did this. The only changes would be a bit of extra electrical tape over the OEM harness that you tapped into for signal and a partially cut trunk liner.

If you are still concerned though but really want extra bass, perhaps it's worth letting a professional shop do the install?

Anyone have any suggestions for getting more bass response in the cabin with the rear seats up? I have noticed if I have one side of the rear seats down, bass sounds much better. I did read somewhere that the 2020 has something missing in the rear deck compared to earlier versions so there must have been some opening type thing in the rear deck, does that sound familiar?