Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Another Tesla Crash! | Autopia from Wired.com

tesla_20081103_002.jpg

A 100 mph collision with no fatalities can't do anything but help the safety reputation for the well-engineered electric. No fires or electrocutions took place here, and the carbon-fiber body looks a lot better than a lot of other cars that took a hit at a hondo.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think they need to make a new law regarding cars that accelerate fast (exotics or tuners). If it goes 0-60 in 4 sec. The owner or driver should be required to take advanced driving classes.

And the battery.

You still can make out a British tax disc in the windscreen. How many UK-registered electric blue demo cars are they likely to have? I'd say there is a fair chance that this is the one Motor Trend drove.

At least the occupants are apparently ok.

Last edited:
I have it on pretty good authority that there are some factual errors with the report on wrecked exotics. The speed was closer to 100 KPH (not mph) and no one was ejected. The car hydroplaned in heavy rain on a curve in the road.

I think they need to make a new law regarding cars that accelerate fast (exotics or tuners). If it goes 0-60 in 4 sec. The owner or driver should be required to take advanced driving classes.

According to the Wired article, the driver was a Tesla employee. Perhaps it is worthwhile at least for Tesla employees to take advanced driving classes - but of course we don't know that this driver hadn't.

We have seen multiple articles already where people have complained that the front tires do no grip as much as they would like. I wonder how much range and performance would get sacrificed with some more grippy tire options.

No word as to exactly what type of road. I assume it was asphalt surfaced. I believe they do use concrete for surfacing in Europe sometimes though. The driver was Simon Rochefort

As for grippy tires, if you are hydroplaning, the tires aren't contacting the road surface, so I suspect it doesn't matter how grippy they are. Perhaps they might look into tires that channel water better though.

Well I am very glad Simon is ok. In fact I know he was picking up my emails on Friday, which would have been after the accident.

But the reason I was asking about the road was whether it was single or dual carriageway. France has a lower default national speed limit in the rain. On a single it is 80 km/h and dual it is 100 km/h.

I wonder how much range and performance would get sacrificed with some more grippy tire options.

Careful in blaming the car. The Wrecked Exotics site is a tribute to fast car owners with more money than skills.

I glad to hear that the humans are OK. Interesting that I can't see the deployed airbag in the wreckage.

Also fair to note that Tesla (or their insurance company) is out some serious cash too.

Domenick said above that it was Simon Rochefort - a French guy whom I've met a few times this summer and is a "good bloke". He sometimes posts on the company blogs. I'm not sure what his background is before Tesla or if he would have been experienced in driving fast cars.