Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Accident again Ian?

Huh? Are you asking Ian if he had an incident? His post here was just to ponder if a green Roadster he saw on a Germany trip may have gone on to crash in a rally in Hungary later. I think there are a fair number of Roadsters in Germany, so it could have been a different green one.

Ironically, another run-in with a Mercedes C-class...
Tesla SF crash?

What is it with Roadsters 'submarining' under Mercedes C-classes?

Recently in New Jersey:
Tesla Roadster crashed in New Jersey
2009_tesla_roadster_crash_new_jersey.agqv5pwdn3cow4ck80ggo4wsk.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpeg

Mercedes slammed the brakes

He really seem to get them mixed up. Unless that comment comes from the silver car's driver.

The article links to wreckedexotics (http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics2012apr02/2009-tesla-roadster-4303.shtml). Based on the comments there, it would appear that the Mercedes slammed on the brakes instead of the gas by accident. However, I don't know where those people got that information. In any case, I would think it would still be the Tesla's fault for following too closely and not being able to stop in time.

If you read up thread, the brake issue has come up several times since more than a few of these crashes have come from the Roadster not stopping in time.

I wonder if it is really bad brakes or just too much tailgating. I routinely drive on busy highways here in NY and many cars seem to be about 1 car length behind me. If I accidentally slammed on the brakes, I am pretty sure I could cause accidents all day long regardless of the type of car that is tailgating me. I imagine things are the same in NJ.

That looks more like the Mercedes backed up over the Tesla.

I don't believe that simply slamming even the low front Roadster into the car in front of you would cause that car to lift up and end up so far over the Roadster's hood. The Roadster's front is low, but not that low, and I just don't see the physics working out unless the Mercedes was literally backing up.

The article links to wreckedexotics (http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics2012apr02/2009-tesla-roadster-4303.shtml). Based on the comments there, it would appear that the Mercedes slammed on the brakes instead of the gas by accident. However, I don't know where those people got that information. In any case, I would think it would still be the Tesla's fault for following too closely and not being able to stop in time.

Looking at the picture that is on the New Jersey Turnpike probably just south of the Jersey City power plant area.

I don't believe that simply slamming even the low front Roadster into the car in front of you would cause that car to lift up and end up so far over the Roadster's hood. The Roadster's front is low, but not that low, and I just don't see the physics working out unless the Mercedes was literally backing up.

Forgive my ignorance but from a physics point of view, isn't it the same if the Tesla runs into the Mercedes or if the Mercedes backs into the Tesla?

Forgive my ignorance but from a physics point of view, isn't it the same if the Tesla runs into the Mercedes or if the Mercedes backs into the Tesla?

No, if the Mercedes is moving, then the tires could catch on the front of the Tesla and literally drive up the hood. If the Mercedes is at a standstill, then the Roadster has to get it's nose under the midpoint of the tires and then somehow lift the Mercedes (which probably has its brakes on) up and onto the hood without actually doing that much damage to the front. It just doesn't look like it happened that way to me. It's a lot harder to lift a stationary car with a horizontally traveling car than it is to drive up over a stationary car. Or so I believe.