Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver asleep at the wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of you guys with HW3 should test this out sometime.

I believe I have about 4 ounces of weight on my wheel, and I have not seen the nag in months. Give it a shot and see what happens, but please pay attention and avoid the temptation to nap.;)
Tom, you won't get any crap from me about your anti-nag. Now granted the tech I'm about to talk about is 50+ years old, tried, true, proven, etc., but... I'm an airline pilot. Most of the time, we use auto pilot from about five minutes (or earlier) after takeoff to just a few minutes before landing. I swear to God, if the autopilot had a "wiggle the yoke, or I'm gonna pull over and stop" message, I'd find a new career. It is up to the pilots to show up to work in good condition, which includes the ability to stay awake through hours and hours of sheer boredom. And we do. No, I'm not going to engage or entertain the whole "you guys take naps" kinda BS type of conversation, or anything else regarding "what about those one guys that slept!" Of course, there are always outliers on the bell curve, and that's exactly what they are. Outliers. Keep your thoughts about *that* subject to yourselves, or you'll hit one of those sore spots (which we all have) with me that will result in a full on rage response. Yeah, I'm that passionate about this topic. So pick your battle(s) carefully, please. I've been an airline pilot since 1989 and I have slept exactly zero times behind the yoke of an aircraft. I can count on one hand the number of guys that I've flown with that have dozed off, too.

Just as it is up to aircraft pilots to be responsible enough to not fall asleep during hours and hours of what is essentially straight road, we as drivers have the same responsibility; if you can't keep your eyes open then pull over and sleep, for God's sake! The fact that the general populous even *needs* to have Tesla put in a nag system speaks very poor volumes about us as a people, really. I'd like to hope that it's just there for the same bell curve outliers.

I believe that you, TomB985, (as well as most of the bell curve) are responsible enough to be able to use the autopilot without a nag system and stay wide awake for the whole drive... Just as most people would.

My take on the whole thing is that if you honestly feel like you *need* a nag system to keep you awake when you drive, then you should probably give up on driving completely; you're nothing but a road hazard waiting to happen. If your judgment is so bad that you'd drive when there's the possibility that you'll go to sleep, your judgment is poor enough that you shouldn't be driving. At all.

Last edited:
So does anyone know what is supposed to happen if the driver never returns to the wheel? I can’t imagine that the car would drop out of EAP right? I mean, what if the driver actually had a heart attack, etc? I’m going to guess that the vehicle remains in EAP until the vehicle comes to a complete stop? Just a guess.

Warnings become more frequent. The car will start beeping quicker and quicker. It will slow down, put the emergency/hazard flashers on, and eventually get to a full stop. Autopilot will be disabled for the rest of the trip. Here is a video:

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy

I don’t know how this is happening. I mean, how it’s physically possible. Won’t the car stop eventually? On a personal side, I feel like this sets back autonomous driving for the rest of us.
Seems more likely you would see news reports of “Another Tesla Driver stopped on road sleeping with Hazard Lights On”. Common sense tells us that for every 10 reports of sleeping drivers you should have at least ½ that reported as stopped on road. And what about the video of them finally waking up or the police pulling along side because the person recording the video called them and didn’t just record. It all seems fake to me…

Seems more likely you would see news reports of “Another Tesla Driver stopped on road sleeping with Hazard Lights On”. Common sense tells us that for every 10 reports of sleeping drivers you should have at least ½ that reported as stopped on road. And what about the video of them finally waking up or the police pulling along side because the person recording the video called them and didn’t just record. It all seems fake to me…
hear hear

Tom, you won't get any crap from me about your anti-nag. Now granted the tech I'm about to talk about is 50+ years old, tried, true, proven, etc., but... I'm an airline pilot. Most of the time, we use auto pilot from about five minutes (or earlier) after takeoff to just a few minutes before landing. I swear to God, if the autopilot had a "wiggle the yoke, or I'm gonna pull over and stop" message, I'd find a new career. It is up to the pilots to show up to work in good condition, which includes the ability to stay awake through hours and hours of sheer boredom. And we do. No, I'm not going to engage or entertain the whole "you guys take naps" kinda BS type of conversation, or anything else regarding "what about those one guys that slept!" Of course, there are always outliers on the bell curve, and that's exactly what they are. Outliers. Keep your thoughts about *that* subject to yourselves, or you'll hit one of those sore spots (which we all have) with me that will result in a full on rage response. Yeah, I'm that passionate about this topic. So pick your battle(s) carefully, please. I've been an airline pilot since 1989 and I have slept exactly zero times behind the yoke of an aircraft. I can count on one hand the number of guys that I've flown with that have dozed off, too.

Just as it is up to aircraft pilots to be responsible enough to not fall asleep during hours and hours of what is essentially straight road, we as drivers have the same responsibility; if you can't keep your eyes open then pull over and sleep, for God's sake! The fact that the general populous even *needs* to have Tesla put in a nag system speaks very poor volumes about us as a people, really. I'd like to hope that it's just there for the same bell curve outliers.

I believe that you, TomB985, (as well as most of the bell curve) are responsible enough to be able to use the autopilot without a nag system and stay wide awake for the whole drive... Just as most people would.

My take on the whole thing is that if you honestly feel like you *need* a nag system to keep you awake when you drive, then you should probably give up on driving completely; you're nothing but a road hazard waiting to happen. If your judgment is so bad that you'd drive when there's the possibility that you'll go to sleep, your judgment is poor enough that you shouldn't be driving. At all.

Very well said, I completely agree. For me it’s all about personal responsibility and the knowledge that other people’s safety depends on our actions on the road.

Very well said, I completely agree. For me it’s all about personal responsibility and the knowledge that other people’s safety depends on our actions on the road.
Our culture is drifting away from personal responsibility at a rapid rate. It's too bad because this mindset will contribute to our long-term demise if we don't reverse the tend quickly.

I don’t know how this is happening. I mean, how it’s physically possible. Won’t the car stop eventually? On a personal side, I feel like this sets back autonomous driving for the rest of us.
It's a desperate plea for attention. You're right, you can't do that. The blue pulsing orb will give you a few shots then the car will pull off the road and stop, disabling AP for the duration of your trip. It's in the user manual and "Now You Know" team of Youtube video producers did an entire video on it.

Reactions: Phlier
These people are idiots.

TINT YOUR ****ING WINDOWS.

I had the exact same thought this afternoon. Lol. If you’ve got to sleep, don’t make the rest of us look like asshats, tint your windows rather dark.

“That’s illegal” is not a valid excuse...cause you’re sleeping at the effing wheel. Pretty sure that’s frowned upon.

*edited as autocorrect hates me.

Last edited:
I've seen enough dipsticks running red lights to feel that deliberately not being the first one through an intersection is generally a good idea, as tempting as that is :)
I should have clarified. Count 2 seconds, let the car next to you enter the intersection, then hammer it.

Year's of riding motorcycles honed the wait and then go skill. In today's world you do have to explain every detail.