Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver asleep at the wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you forget the sarcasm slash-s? How many people have died in a Tesla that slowed down to a stop with the blinkers on but didn't go onto the shoulder? Any?

I just meant for perception. The way it works now is fine for most situations, but all it takes is for it to stop on one blind hill and for someone to get rear ended at high speed and it'll be national news.

It’s the height of ignorance for people to state the video is fake because they themselves haven’t figured out how the autopilot sensors work.

Water bottles, the nag defeater product or simply x9 .45 ACP bullets in a ziplock bag will keep you going.

It’s better to ask “how can this happen?” instead of stating “it cannot happen”

We have made it happen, and an unattended autopilot can be safe (Las Vegas to Barstow due to it being a straight shot with no traffic), or unsafe (Lake Tahoe to Sacramento due to elevation changes)

Safety ultimately resides with the pilot, not the technology.

Yes - if you fall asleep, the car may well save your life...but that's not the real question.

The REAL question is whether the lack of active driving tasks can lull a driver into falling asleep. While you're actively having to drive the car, it's easier to stay alert than if you have more or less nothing to do.

This phenomenon is well known in airline pilots when the airplane is on autopilot. The less work they have to do - the more likely they are to fall asleep.

Reactions: TomHudson
Yes - if you fall asleep, the car may well save your life...but that's not the real question.

The REAL question is whether the lack of active driving tasks can lull a driver into falling asleep. While you're actively having to drive the car, it's easier to stay alert than if you have more or less nothing to do.

This phenomenon is well known in airline pilots when the airplane is on autopilot. The less work they have to do - the more likely they are to fall asleep.

Very, very true !

The only thing is manually flying a plane during 4 hours straight can cause as well some lack of attention...

But with a car, during the short time I had the AP on trial in the car, I noticed that it was difficult for me to be fully alert. Hence the AP on a car will be a great thing, once we can really rely on it...

I don’t know how this is happening. I mean, how it’s physically possible. Won’t the car stop eventually? On a personal side, I feel like this sets back autonomous driving for the rest of us.

These videos are just stupid! Look unless the driver defeated the steering wheel sensor, the cars going first make a lot of noise, then it's going to turn on the hazards and slow to a stop. So there are only 3 possibilities here.

1. It's a prank
2. The driver messed with the car, then fell asleep, but the car's still going to stop when Navigate on Autopilot exist the freeway.
3. Shortly after the video was taken the vehicle stopped.

The big takeaway that everyone seems to overlook is that if the guy did fall asleep, he didn't die. In a standard car he absolutely would have crashed.

On long trips, I find AutoPilot actually results in less fatigue especially in windy conditions. The frequent stops help too. My experience is from putting almost 12000 miles on my X in 12 weeks! My husband has been 'busted' twice by not noticing the warnings--while awake. After the third warning and no response it slows down; to get AP back you have to pull over and restart the car.
I like the way my son describes using his AP on his M3: "I'm there to supervise." That means you have to be awake and alert (and pay attention to warnings, husband:D).

Most people aren't familiar with AP and have no clue they can slow or stop a Tesla in an emergency, let alone know how.
This is where Tesla's response to this incident fell far short of where it should have been. There needs to be more public education of this new technology. I would love to see David Muir (or ?) do a feature on this. What really ticks me off is the national news silence about the free supercharging and battery capacity unlocked to flee from the past 3 or 4 hurricanes. THAT should be a great America Strong feature.

Reactions: KenC and Mrcarcrazy
Some drivers do fall asleep whether there's Autopilot or not.

The only difference is without Autopilot, a paparazzi just don't have enough time to film the sleeping driver because of an accident.

With Autopilot, a paparazzi can have 30 seconds to document that the sleeping driver is still alive.
Key points. . .with AP you have a chance, without it and going to sleep not so much!

Could be a prank...
Or other auto manufacturers paying people to make Tesla's AP look bad. Think about how often AP nags you... you'd have to be borderline narcoleptic to sleep through the chimes and constant nagging. I don't buy it. Maybe if they had a weight on the wheel (which doesn't look present) but even if there was one I'm still skeptical....

Last edited:
Totally fake. Get the plates and revoke AP privileges. These people make us look like jerks let alone do pose a risk. AP or not, driving without being alert kills people - unfortunately, usually innocent others.

How am I sure it is fake? without a defeat device (can't see one) the car would alert and pull over.
This is my thought as well. More Tesla FUD from the multi-national conglomerate companies that are in bed and/or deeply connected with big oil.