Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver asleep at the wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I was hoping to get... other people's experiences with the driver interaction required messages. For some reason, our two cars respond very differently to constant weight on the wheel. I'm on HW 3, do you happen to know what version you're on, by chance?

Edit: And I think it's wonderful that a car now exists that allows you to drive without being in constant pain. Really sorry to hear about your condition, man, that really sucks. :(

My car has HW2.5, so perhaps it’s a bit different?

And thanks. This was the whole reason I switched to a Tesla, and this stupid disease has been taking over my life for the last year. Trips longer than 10–15 miles used to be a real challenge, so autopilot has been a real game changer for me. I just turned 34 last week, and emerging technology like this gives me a lot of hope for dealing with it in the future. I love my Tesla, but I can’t wait for the stuff to go mainstream.

Tesla should really work on the auto-shutoff feature so that it slows the car down and pulls over to the side of the road. If they could actually just get that one little bit working it could save tons of lives and would be big (positive) news for the company.

Reactions: Roamer
Hmmm, do you know something I don't? Wife says could be Korean or Japanese or something else :) She's Asian so I guess she can know better than me. Then she replies "Reminds me of the movie Crazy Rich Asians". I told her to go look in the mirror to remind herself of her nationality :D Then I step away so I don't get slapped.
I'm Chinese, and they look very Chinese to me. I suppose they could be Korean, but Japanese, never. They don't look at all Japanese.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Lets be real...people must be using these things or something similar.
Tesla Autopilot Nag Defeater | eBay
Simply awful.

You don't even need something that elaborate. I use a Thera-Band and some steel wheel weights.

20190817_120143354_iOS.jpg

You don't even need something that elaborate. I use a Thera-Band and some steel wheel weights.

View attachment 453080
This is exactly why you shouldn't do that. No hands, then maybe you are tempted to lean your head on your arm, then suddenly you are asleep and helping to slow down FSD adoption and lower Tesla shares.

I think anyone using a defeat like that should have their AP license revoked.

This is exactly why you shouldn't do that. No hands, then maybe you are tempted to lean your head on your arm, then suddenly you are asleep and helping to slow down FSD adoption and lower Tesla shares.

I think anyone using a defeat like that should have their AP license revoked.

If I did that, I'd sell the car. I've got a medical condition that I mentioned earlier, and I'm not ready to give up my mobility when there's another option. This is that option.

If I did that, I'd sell the car. I've got a medical condition that I mentioned earlier, and I'm not ready to give up my mobility when there's another option. This is that option.
Is resting your arm in the steering wheel not an option? Ok, well in your case that makes senset and I assume you are being careful, but most are just being lazy. I just think it's a big risk for the brand.

Perhaps they just need to go ahead and use the internal camera to watch our faces.

When someone posts about how "unsafe" AP is because people can fall asleep or be drunk behind the wheel I always respond, "What would you rather have a car that will at least have a chance of staying in its lane and braking for other cars OR a car that is completely out of control?" The answer seems fairly obvious to me.
Like that guy who passed out drunk and the cops were able to pull in front of him and stop the vehicle. Sadly that was a bigger news story than if he had killed a few people.

OP here. After reading all of the posts I went back and watched the news clip again. Here is what bothers me about the clip. First they show the video of the driver asleep but then they proceed to show accidents involving Teslas. The video seems to blame all of these accidents on people falling asleep with the exception of one video where they blamed driver inattention. I realize that some accidents in Teslas may have been the result of driver inattention but I’m guessing less likely from people falling asleep and crashing. If I had to guess, I believe the majority of accidents in Teslas are related to speed and probably driver error. Don’t flame me. I’m just guessing. The point is that it’s not from falling asleep.

Honestly, my motivation is more selfish for posting it. I paid the 2K for FSD and the more of this type of news that Tesla gets, the less likely I will ever see full autonomy in this car.

Is resting your arm in the steering wheel not an option?

It was when I first got the car, but it spread to my wrists a few months ago, which is when I looked at ways to defeat the nag.

I don’t recommend or endorse this in most cases, but it suits my needs because of a relatively unique situation. My reason for chiming in was just to illustrate that the computer can be fooled with a consistent weight on the wheel. And I really hope they don’t change that.

If someone made a bet with me, I may be willing to try close my eyes for one minute if it was the middle of the night on an empty highway without a car for miles. I have alot of faith in autopilot if the conditions are right. If a driver is going to sleep, they probably have a much better chance of surviving in Tesla autopilot than a BMW 3 series that has no autopilot.

Autopilot works, but its kinda risky to do it with your eyes closed with other cars around you.

I also wonder if it can notice cones because what if these sleeping drivers let the car keep going and then a cone zone appeared, would the Tesla just keep going knocking over cones and drive into the coned off area of the freeway? If you just let it do whatever it wanted? Because I remember there were cones, I kinda let the car keep driving, but at the last second I took control and had to avoid the cones by myself.

There’s only one situation where the car seems willing to obliviously running to things, and that involves orange cones and barrels. I presume that have to do with their construction being invisible to the radar sensor, but that’s just a guess. Otherwise I’m confident the car would either react properly or loudly alert the driver to take control the overwhelming majority of the time. But if you’re sleeping, what are the odds you would react properly in time?

Extraordinarily dangerous and irresponsible, but none of these recorded incidents seem to result in an accident, which is a testament to how well the system works. I get pissed off when I see these videos; it makes the public even more scared to be around Teslas and other vehicles that use similar technology. That hurts everybody, even when theres not a wreck.

Ya know, I'm not too sure of that. Anecdotal evidence to follow...

So when I use AP, I put my left hand on my lap, grab the wheel, and apply constant left torque to the wheel. This seems to keep the AP happy for a while. But eventually I'll get the interaction required message, even though I'm applying the same left torque to the wheel. Here's where it gets interesting (and I'm hoping others will chime in with their experiences)... If I just release the torque on the wheel, the AP message won't go away. I have to release the torque, then re-apply the torque to remove the message. If I simply increase the torque, I get varied responses... sometimes the message will go away, other times I can continue to increase the torque and the message won't go away. At all. I've increased the torque gradually to the point of completely disengaging the AP without the driver interaction required message going away.

It would appear that the system is smart enough to not just go along with a constant pressure on the wheel; you gotta vary it every once in a while to keep it happy. Now my own individual experience certainly isn't enough to say that this is definitely the case... it just appears to be the case. Really hoping others will chime in with their results.

I was recently using NOA with automatic lane changes with my elbow on the door and my hand on the wheel at 9 o'clock. I got a nag and applied more downward pressure on the wheel. The nag did not go away. I tried grasping the wheel to add resistance to turning. That didn't work either. I noticed the notification said to wiggle the wheel. That worked. My car has HW3.

Reactions: Phlier
I was recently using NOA with automatic lane changes with my elbow on the door and my hand on the wheel at 9 o'clock. I got a nag and applied more downward pressure on the wheel. The nag did not go away. I tried grasping the wheel to add resistance to turning. That didn't work either. I noticed the notification said to wiggle the wheel. That worked. My car has HW3.
This is pretty much exactly how my car handles nag messages, too. It does look like there might be a difference between HW 3 and earlier versions.

Thanks for the post!

One of you guys with HW3 should test this out sometime.

I believe I have about 4 ounces of weight on my wheel, and I have not seen the nag in months. Give it a shot and see what happens, but please pay attention and avoid the temptation to nap.;)

Tesla should really work on the auto-shutoff feature so that it slows the car down and pulls over to the side of the road. If they could actually just get that one little bit working it could save tons of lives and would be big (positive) news for the company.

Did you forget the sarcasm slash-s? How many people have died in a Tesla that slowed down to a stop with the blinkers on but didn't go onto the shoulder? Any?

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom