Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla/EV road rage experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hate is real, if it wasn't there wouldn't be trucks blocking chargers and yelling obscenities at people trying to charge.

I had 2 experiences when I first got the 3 but nothing lately.

1) truck pulled up behind me and turned on his light bar blinding me, there was a semi next to me, and a truck in front of me and on the other side of me, so I couldn't do anything but turn my review mirror.

2) truck passed me on the right (no lane) then swerved towards me while I was trying to exit the freeway.
They apparently don't know Teslas are made in the US of A. I suspect part of the issue with true truckers is they know tesla is building what will be an autonomous Semi cab and the last bastion of a good paying job for High School only will become automated.
When I am even peripherally in those conversations is telling them, even with a career in high tech, I've had to reinvent myself several times. Nothing is forever. Also most people view Teslas as only for the filthy rich. Yeah, your house is behind a gate or you have more supportive police, but when you and your richie bitchie car are outside your gate, you are in our jungle.

Reactions: JeffnReno
They apparently don't know Teslas are made in the US of A. I suspect part of the issue with true truckers is they know tesla is building what will be an autonomous Semi cab and the last bastion of a good paying job for High School only will become automated.
When I am even peripherally in those conversations is telling them, even with a career in high tech, I've had to reinvent myself several times. Nothing is forever. Also most people view Teslas as only for the filthy rich. Yeah, your house is behind a gate or you have more supportive police, but when you and your richie bitchie car are outside your gate, you are in our jungle.

I dunno, I suspect these guys also bully people who buy Prii too. But who knows, the guy who passed me on the shoulder of the freeway might have just been high too, it was very strange. I was in a loaner S for that one.

I dunno, I suspect these guys also bully people who buy Prii too. But who knows, the guy who passed me on the shoulder of the freeway might have just been high too, it was very strange. I was in a loaner S for that one.
No question about it, small car vs tractor trailer is not a contest, it's a slaughter. Should something like that happen again, you have a camera to save the events. Just hit the little red dot top of center screen.

No question about it, small car vs tractor trailer is not a contest, it's a slaughter. Should something like that happen again, you have a camera to save the events. Just hit the little red dot top of center screen.
It was just a lifted older F150 / F250 sized truck with an america first sticker plastered across his rear window. The Semi didn't do anything wrong or the other trucks in front and to my left. You really couldn't see much from the video since he was blinding me from behind.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It was just a lifted older F150 / F250 sized truck with an america first sticker plastered across his rear window. The Semi didn't do anything wrong or the other trucks in front and to my left. You really couldn't see much from the video since he was blinding me from behind.
How would the front facing camera be blinded? That camera is constantly sending video. The red dot simply saves the last n minutes of it to the thumb drive. It wouldn't catch the truck abreast of you but would catch it pulling in front of you and driving in breakdown lane. Whatever.

How would the front facing camera be blinded? That camera is constantly sending video. The red dot simply saves the last n minutes of it to the thumb drive. It wouldn't catch the truck abreast of you but would catch it pulling in front of you and driving in breakdown lane. Whatever.
2 different incidents, the one in my 3 was the guy blinding me from behind. The one where I was passed in the brakdown lane, I was in an AP1 loaner S.

• Informative
Quite the opposite experience here in NW corner of WA State! We have a 2014 P85 (and now also a 2018 DM M3). My mom has taken to referring to our MS as our puppy! People still approach us all the time and want to "pet" it and ask us about the car. Lately we've had some questions about BS news & rumors floating around the internet, but usually it's the "standard" EV curiosity questions. Love it!

Anyone who doesn't drive 5 over the speed limit is doing it wrong. No cop will pull you over for going 5 over. It isn't worth their time and is within the margin of error of a speedometer.
I have my TACC set for +5 so I totally agree. There are certain situations like weather, traffic in adjoining lanes, etc. that I will scroll it back some but most of the time, +5 works fine as does the following distance of 2 which seems to be complying with the 2 second rule that tailgaters never go by. Having said that, I will occasionally scroll up to +9 when traffic flow dictates it on freeways. Anything beyond that is for the guys that want the tickets and insurance rates that I try to avoid.

Reactions: Dre78
I’ve had a couple recently which, on review of the dash cam footage, were unjustified (I was obeying the law)
I can only think the other driver was pissed off by the car’s acceleration or that it was a Tesla/EV.

I don't know if you would call this road rage, but rather parking lot rage. 3 weeks after delivery of my MX in 2016, I parked at a restaurant for Sunday morning brunch with my grandaughter. I was nosed in at the sidewalk just outside a restaurant window. An hour later when I came out, my left front bumper below the headlight had been kicked in. Now I have a dashcam.

Anyone who doesn't drive 5 over the speed limit is doing it wrong. No cop will pull you over for going 5 over. It isn't worth their time and is within the margin of error of a speedometer.
I am going to disagree. While it may be anecdotally true, it is true until it isn't. I don't remember the exact quote and exact numbers but way back when I took driver's education in HS, the instructor made a huge point. Two people head from RI (where I grew up) to NYC or DC or Miami, one doing the speed limit the other 5? mph over. The second guy, speeding, arrives 30 secs quicker than the guy doing the speed limit. TBH I don't recall the endpoint or the degree of speeding but the point remains. Whether it's 2 over or 5 over or 10 over. You take a relatively large risk for virtually no or inconsequential gain. Yes, when speed limit was determined mechanically with a cable from the transmission to the speedometer inaccuracies were common. With Teslas it's software and highly likely virtually spot on. So, why not let TACC do it's thing and remove all doubt regarding getting a ticket, be it for $50 or $500. What do you actually gain beyond teenager quality ego? Now, having said that there is the issue of doing the speed limit on an interstate when traffic is going 10 over. At some point you become a hindrance to the safe flow of traffic. For myself, in that case if the right lane was doing 10 over speed limit, I'd speed up to keep up with traffic flow. I doubt a ticket would ensue if you weren't passing other people. Then too, there is always an advantage to NOT taking point. (as in platoon patrols).

Haven't noticed any RR against my M3. Maybe it's because I'm moving too fast for anyone to catch me and do something foolish(?) I do have a question, though: Has anyone else noticed the "tunnel" of different colored lights, whizzing through their windshield while accelerating at full throttle? It's quite amazing.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
Anyone who doesn't drive 5 over the speed limit is doing it wrong.
I guess I am one of those people who are doing it wrong.
t2009.gif

Reactions: Elixir and jgs
I have had my car for less than 2 months, and have had 2 incidents. I live in Texas.

In the first, I was driving through a neighborhood when a man attempting to cross the street stepped out in front of my car and approached me aggressively shouting "Asshole!"..I had my 2 year old in the back, and could not figure any other reason he would be yelling at me such as speeding or not paying attention.

Another time at night, a car cut me off purposely and slowed drastically in front of me, then as I passed them later they gave me the finger. I swear I wasn't driving badly, going the same speed as surrounding traffic, 5 miles over the speed limit or so. Both incidents felt like I was being bullied or picked on... Never had any such incidents in other cars in the past.

As someone once said, "Don't blame a conspiracy when mere idiocy or incompetence will suffice."
That’s Hanlon’s razor.
I hope you are not holding very left lane, and if you are - you should get a ticket.

Did you not notice where @Eriamjh1138 said “city streets”?

And to add my own on-topic $0.02 — I can’t think of one single time I’ve had legit, unambiguous EV road rage directed at me in four years with the S and now the 3 as well. Lots and lots of times people have asked me about it, slowed to ogle, and I wish there were some way for me to have a collection of all the pics people have snapped of my license plate — dozens at least.

There was one time when someone zoomed by me and flipped me off, but it might have had to do with him just feeling offended that I accelerated... abruptly... to pass him previously. (I did so safely, it was the right thing to do, I didn’t impede him or anyone else, but he may have felt intimidated or something? Whatever, life’s too short.)

There was one time when someone zoomed by me and flipped me off, but it might have had to do with him just feeling offended that I accelerated... abruptly... to pass him previously. (I did so safely, it was the right thing to do, I didn’t impede him or anyone else, but he may have felt intimidated or something? Whatever, life’s too short.)
Yep, probably the cause of similar case with mine - outside lane at the lights. Thrashed everyone off the mark (totally legal - accelerated to speed limit only) & must have triggered another driver blaring out the doof doof. He then decided to cut in front of me dangerously & hold me up, so I overtook him, which triggered him even more.

Reactions: jgs
Maybe once a month I have someone in a muscle car rocket off the line next to me when the light turns green.
It'd be a lot more fun (for one of us) if such drivers would get my attention first, since we're apparently supposed to be having a race.
As it is, their ego is left mistakenly intact, and a bunch of gasoline and rubber gets wasted by them without a race even occurring.
Lol so true