Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla/EV road rage experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I had those situations. I can't get anybody to race me off the line. Only once, when an M5 decided to have a go. I demolished him but slowed at 60 or so as we were on a surface street. He get zooming past me probably hitting over 100mph in a 50mph zone just to show me :eek:
I had a Dodge Charter SRT give me a go once off a rolling start. I was driving my S. I got about a car length on him before we both came to our senses and slowed down. I was below 50% SOC or it would have been more fun.

Never let being first at a stop light go to waste. Accelerate at about 1/2 pedal which will leave almost everyone in the dust and if occasionally there's a challenger you have the rest of the pedal to leave him (up to the speed limit ). Sometimes they'll come tearing by way over the limit afterwards. When doing this, be aware of possible red light runners and don't get T=boned.

I’ve seen people in my mirror furiously gesturing that I was going too slow (the speed limit) on city streets in an area where there are lots of cops who love to pull over anyone. Those maniacs blow past me as soon as the other slightly faster traffic opens up and they look at me like I’m an idiot. It doesn’t matter what I’m driving. I know where it’s safe and not safe.

The hate is real, if it wasn't there wouldn't be trucks blocking chargers and yelling obscenities at people trying to charge.

I had 2 experiences when I first got the 3 but nothing lately.

1) truck pulled up behind me and turned on his light bar blinding me, there was a semi next to me, and a truck in front of me and on the other side of me, so I couldn't do anything but turn my review mirror.

2) truck passed me on the right (no lane) then swerved towards me while I was trying to exit the freeway.

Today I went to Oxnard and back, while cruising through Malibu showing the sights to my family that is from out of town I had 2 loud ass cars that were clearly modified and one of them had no exhaust so it was super loud, and when they pulled up next to me they revved their engines to evidently get my attention, first time that has happened and it was twice in one day, I was cruising with the flow of traffic and in the right lane so it was not from me blocking their path.

I’m still in an ICE vehicle but don’t think it’s a “thing” here in NJ.

Teslas are not a rare sight here, and I don’t sense any anger or rage. Quite the opposite - they still get the “hey, cool, a Tesla” look for now, but there’s so many, it’s not a rare sight anymore.

It’s the Northeast. We’re all too busy trying to get wherever it is we’re going to worry about anyone else’s stuff.

Nothing out of the ordinary for sure here in Kansas City, but road rage isn't a huge deal here compared to many places. (people are just nicer in the mid-west and I can say that as an East Coast native)
Maybe once a month I have someone in a muscle car rocket off the line next to me when the light turns green.
It'd be a lot more fun (for one of us) if such drivers would get my attention first, since we're apparently supposed to be having a race.
As it is, their ego is left mistakenly intact, and a bunch of gasoline and rubber gets wasted by them without a race even occurring.
That's really dumb on their part. I know somebody very well (;)) that used to do a bit of street racing when he was a stupid kid. Racing somebody that isn't in on it is not fun. So easy to do a little rev or rock your car a bit.

I don't know how I'd signal that I wanted a race in my 3. I think I'd have to roll the window down and ask, Grey Poupon style. I have not had a single person try to race me and I've owned this car for 6 months.

When I bought my first EV (Nissan Leaf) I noticed a significant amount more rage. People would whip around me giving me the finger and I was in the right lane lol. I came from an FJ Cruiser. I imagine it's because I was driving to preserve my battery. Mind you I wasn't hypermiling but definitely more conservative.
I doubt that had anything to do with it being a Leaf. I remember in Nixon's first term when he lowered speeds on interstates to 55mph I dutifully obeyed the traffic laws. People whizzed by me at 75...a 20mph closure rate. THEY were the pissed ones. So it's kind of a debatable point does traffic safety dictate being grossly in excess of the posted speed limit? However, even though speed limit implies high end, doing noticeably less than the posted speed limit would arguably be endangering traffic flow. Most interstates do flag a minimum speed. Interesting aside, that is due to centripetal force. The roads are graded such that centripetal force is countered in a turn, otherwise the laws of physics would literally push your car into the next lane. But the grading of the curve requires a minimum speed for proper lane centering. Sorry, I've never found a better excuse to share physics trivia!

I doubt that had anything to do with it being a Leaf. I remember in Nixon's first term when he lowered speeds on interstates to 55mph I dutifully obeyed the traffic laws. People whizzed by me at 75...a 20mph closure rate. THEY were the pissed ones. So it's kind of a debatable point does traffic safety dictate being grossly in excess of the posted speed limit? However, even though speed limit implies high end, doing noticeably less than the posted speed limit would arguably be endangering traffic flow. Most interstates do flag a minimum speed. Interesting aside, that is due to centripetal force. The roads are graded such that centripetal force is countered in a turn, otherwise the laws of physics would literally push your car into the next lane. But the grading of the curve requires a minimum speed for proper lane centering. Sorry, I've never found a better excuse to share physics trivia!
There's no better site than here for senseless trivia, that's for sure!

I am the recipient of the Tesla road rage last week in Idaho. From what I heard (3rd party, media) the defendant told his parole officer he was upset that "There's a smart guy in our neighborhood driving a Tesla", had his girlfriend turn around and follow me to start something. The first words he was yelling out of his mouth as he passed my house was about the Tesla.

Cool! I always thought of NJ as mid Atlantic. Although Northeast corridor is DC to Bangor.
Are you a transplant from New England?

Me, not at all. Born and raised here in NJ. I guess the northeast/mid-atlantic dividing line is somewhere around south-central Jersey; I'm in the northwest quadrant, about 35 miles or so due west of NYC, so I really think of it as in the northeast NYC/Connecticut area vs DelMarVa.

I am the recipient of the Tesla road rage last week in Idaho. From what I heard (3rd party, media) the defendant told his parole officer he was upset that "There's a smart guy in our neighborhood driving a Tesla", had his girlfriend turn around and follow me to start something. The first words he was yelling out of his mouth as he passed my house was about the Tesla.

I'm sorry that happened to you. The perpetrator looks to be a first-class idiot who couldn't even make it a year since his previous felony assault without assaulting another innocent person.

Doesn't he know Tesla's have cameras?:rolleyes:

I do not believe in any kind of Anti-Tesla road rage. Road rage - sure, but it is not Tesla related.

I’ve seen people in my mirror furiously gesturing that I was going too slow (the speed limit) on city streets in an area where there are lots of cops who love to pull over anyone. Those maniacs blow past me as soon as the other slightly faster traffic opens up and they look at me like I’m an idiot. It doesn’t matter what I’m driving. I know where it’s safe and not safe.

I hope you are not holding very left lane, and if you are - you should get a ticket.