Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla/EV road rage experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some common ones who seem to get set off are BMW X3s, some Mercedes SUVs, and VWs of any stripe. Also Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys, especially hybrid ones. Audi, not so much... the Q series drivers seem pretty confident and secure and I'm saying this as someone who didn't even have Q series on my radar before noticing how much they stand out as calm compared to other SUV drivers, after driving the M3.

Glad you left us Cadillac folks out of it ... I see Caddy folks as cruisers, no real angst or anger, just happy with their own lot in life. Tesla is the only manufacturer I'm considering to replace my beloved Cadillac.

I guess I am one of those people who are doing it wrong.
t2009.gif

No guess needed.

It’s fact.

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME
Glad you left us Cadillac folks out of it ... I see Caddy folks as cruisers, no real angst or anger, just happy with their own lot in life. Tesla is the only manufacturer I'm considering to replace my beloved Cadillac.
If it's just you plus Significant Other, given you are used to a Caddy spit and polish, consider a Model S test drive followed by a Model 3 LR. The LR has the upgraded interior but is more spartan than a Caddy as far as brass and chrome dials and knobs. The S was more car than I needed nor was I interested in a $130,000 car. The Model 3's back seats are rather small, leg-room wise but it fits in our garage where I doubt a S would.

Reactions: dmurphy
If it's just you plus Significant Other, given you are used to a Caddy spit and polish, consider a Model S test drive followed by a Model 3 LR. The LR has the upgraded interior but is more spartan than a Caddy as far as brass and chrome dials and knobs. The S was more car than I needed nor was I interested in a $130,000 car. The Model 3's back seats are rather small, leg-room wise but it fits in our garage where I doubt a S would.

Thanks! It's just me, the wife, and our 11yo son. He'd be more than happy to squeeze into the back of a Model 3, just because it says Tesla on it.

The S is unappealing in pretty much all regards - like you said, too much car and too big a price tag - and while I like the size of the X, I don't really want the gullwing doors or, honestly, the price tag.

I'm in an XT5 "platinum edition" - so that's Caddy's top shelf interior. I wouldn't expect a M3 to compete with that, but it should be good enough. The question is really whether I'd be happy with the lower footprint of a M3 relative to the high viewpoint on the XT5. For hauling stuff, we also have a Buick Enclave, so we're good there.

The Model Y will be ideal, but my lease is up this September so I need to bridge the gap till the Y is actually available. :)

Reactions: JeffnReno
I call it "butthurt syndrome." It's interesting to see which models of cars tend to be offenders. The theory is they are butthurt for having bought the wrong car.

Contrary to my user name, I don't alway drive fast. But I notice when other cars start doing insecure type posturing around me.

Some common ones who seem to get set off are BMW X3s, some Mercedes SUVs, and VWs of any stripe. Also Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys, especially hybrid ones. Audi, not so much... the Q series drivers seem pretty confident and secure and I'm saying this as someone who didn't even have Q series on my radar before noticing how much they stand out as calm compared to other SUV drivers, after driving the M3.

Anyone else want to play the stereotyping game?
You nailed it, if not being mad at their car decision, it's being surprised by mine, either way they can't accept racing up to a stop light and not embarrassing everybody else at the green. When a "muscle pickup truck" gets surprised, all kinds of gear changing and tire screeches I see in rear view are telling the sad story. Any car coming up normally next to me (without multiple lane changes to get there), is greeted with us both gently driving off happy.

BTW: I bought my car after some bozo passed my Toyota dangerously on the right shoulder on hwy 680, its not happened again.

The Model Y will be ideal, but my lease is up this September so I need to bridge the gap till the Y is actually available. :)
Help me out here. I've seen/heard several people say the Model Y is what they really want. Well, OK, but nobody has seen what a Model Y even will look like. So, how's that work? Elon has said it will be largely a Model 3. Not sure what that means as he didn't specify chassis or wiring or motors or back seat space. With the Model 3, a lot of people put money down on it even before the 'reveal'.

Help me out here. I've seen/heard several people say the Model Y is what they really want. Well, OK, but nobody has seen what a Model Y even will look like. So, how's that work? Elon has said it will be largely a Model 3. Not sure what that means as he didn't specify chassis or wiring or motors or back seat space. With the Model 3, a lot of people put money down on it even before the 'reveal'.
It is supposed to be a CUV. That tells us that it should be to TM3 what TMX is to TMS. More exact then that nobody outside of Tesla knows anything about. But there is hope that it will not have FalconWingDoors, and be lower then TMX. (others may have other hopes... ) If my hopes comes true it will just be a raised TM3 wagon :) If so I may wait for that instead of TM3.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78

Sure. I’ve got myself convinced that it’s just a “utility” version of the Model 3. Essentially take the trunk, replace with a large-ish hatch, and some command height seating for the driver. Done.

Similar to the Honda CR-V. Same chassis and Powertrain as the Civic, but with a taller body and a rear hatch.

To me, that’s all the Model Y needs to be for Tesla to make a mint.

Now, is that what Elon has in mind? Who knows, but I’ve convinced myself that he’s channeled into my brain somehow. That likely means I’ll be way off. :)

Dash cam needs wide angle mode...

I shouldn't have even kept up with him a little, it fueled his rage? concerning red Teslas?

He side swiped the Subie and they both pulled off to the right into the parking lot... the dash cam barely caught the event.. but I had to drive around them.. ruined their mornings..
I didn't see it as road rage, just a young stupid driver. I did see you in the wrong lane, if I am not mistaken. You can tell that when the road symbols and letters are upside down and backwards.

I did see you in the wrong lane, if I am not mistaken.

Nope you are mistaken.

At the first light, 2 left 2 straight and 1 right turn lane. At the light he ran, 1 straight/left one right. He made that right and somehow didn't even see that subie coming in and then his driver front fender bounced off the subie's right front fender..

So he wasn't a kid :) I'm guessing mid/late 30s. Too bad no sound, he totally blasted out of that stopped light.. and I admit I kept up with him for a bit.

I didn't see it as road rage, just a young stupid driver. I did see you in the wrong lane, if I am not mistaken. You can tell that when the road symbols and letters are upside down and backwards.
She was defiantly in the wrong lane, probably going around the accident.

I don't see anything wrong here though. BMW Drivers are not supposed to signal or stop due to their car superiority :)

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
At the first light, 2 left 2 straight and 1 right turn lane. At the light he ran, 1 straight/left one right. He made that right and somehow didn't even see that subie coming in and then his driver front fender bounced off the subie's right front fender..
He may have had a couple under his belt, so to speak. I don't see what he did as road rage against you. It was CLEARLY reckless driving, accident resulting. I thought you had said they drove into a parking lot. OK, you're good on the wrong lane score. Yeah, it needs audio. It would be interesting to see what kind of sailor on shore leave you were :D.

So he wasn't a kid :) I'm guessing mid/late 30s. Too bad no sound, he totally blasted out of that stopped light.. and I admit I kept up with him for a bit.
You don't understand Julie, 30s is a kid! (no offense intended).

He may have had a couple under his belt, so to speak.

I didn't see any kills painted on the side of his car :)

You don't understand Julie, 30s is a kid! (no offense intended).

Ok but late 30s still? I guess for men that maturing process comes more slowly :p :)

I don't think he was actually road raging I think he was road racing because my red car with red brakes "tasked him"

Ok but late 30s still? I guess for men that maturing process comes more slowly :p :)
Oh, it certainly does. by kid, someone who lets himself be ruled by testosterone, be it in his car of choice, his choice of car, or how he treats any girl (woman) he dates. Just watching him pass you to take that hard right after, in what could laughingly be called, rolling stop. He punched it at the light. I was expecting him to swerve in front of you, stop and take a nap (so to speak) just to mess with you. But, yeah, the Subaru was pure Karma being his/her/its bitchy self.
Thanks for the vid....oh, I was surprised red lights look yellow from the front camera. Tesla really needs to clean that code up.

@wcorey Agreed on Karma - and on the video quality in general. And biggest bummer is that I could clearly see the accident but if needed I had almost nothing to offer the Subie driver because of how the front camera is so tunnel visioned. I would have stopped if the BMW dude hadn't already started to pull into the parking lot to hopefully own up and face Karma

Dash cam needs wide angle mode...

I shouldn't have even kept up with him a little, it fueled his rage? concerning red Teslas?

He side swiped the Subie and they both pulled off to the right into the parking lot... the dash cam barely caught the event.. but I had to drive around them.. ruined their mornings..

Oh man, smaller cars like porsches are the worst. They spent twice as much on an equal or slower vehicle.

I know that hurts because a 50~ year old guy in a black turbo s tried racing me and lost. He gave me one of the nastiest looks I've ever seen at the next stop sign, but I was smiling and giddy. Probably made him more pissed since after a few turns and near home, he blew out of first gear right next to me to try and scare me I assume... it wasn't loud considering porsches aren't muscle cars.

Last edited: