Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antifungal spray for cabin air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay that lasted about a week. Just did it again... But it works each time so far.
I suggest instead of Kool-it using Klima (I use 2 cans) during the filter change. I follow the full procedure twice. If any left in the can I wait until the foam is down and empty it. Seems to work better than Kool-it. Also check the intake. Leaves can be on the intake screen (accessed form the frunk after removing the top cover). I made an intake screen from gutter wire (from home depot) to catch twigs and leaves. Doesn't restrict flow but stops the big items.

IMG_0958.jpeg

Good information fellas! Just sprayed it again with antifungal. Will post each time I do it so you can see the frequency that's working.
Did you take the filters out before spraying the anti fungal? If not, wouldn't all that spray just end up on the surface of the filters?

The airflow of the AC system is like this: outside air intake -> fan -> filters -> AC Evap coil -> Heating condenser coil -> ducts. And if you put on recirculate, the outside air intake is blocked, and air is sucked in from inside the cabin directly next to the fan, which is just above the filters.

I'm assuming most of the sour smell is from some kind of accumulation in the AC coil, however, last time after I flooded the whole filter space with cleaning foam, I could still smell like 2% of that sour smell quite soon after, so it wouldn't surprise me if whatever's growing is also on the heating coils or the low spots in the ducting around those areas.

Weber Auto video about the whole heat pump system where you could see a detailed view of the components taken out of the car.

Attachments

• tesla coil.png
    tesla coil.png
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Hey all,

For the past few days I've been reading through all the threads related to this topic. With it being that time of the year now the inside of the car when inside of the garage exceeds 90F, which triggers the cabin overheat protection.

I had the overheat protection on AC (Big mistake, never have it on AC) within the app and I'm convinced that is the culprit responsible for the sour smell that has presented itself lately. A few weeks ago I changed the air filters anyway and gave the inside of the intake area a really good wipe down. (Did not use any cleaners).

I've since kept the air only on AUTO and have not experienced any foul smell at all. At times during the drive when looking at the air menu you can see that it turns on and off the circulation mode (outside to inside) so it's doing what it's designed to do.

I'm convinced that this is the key, to keep the air on AUTO and to let the car/algorithm or whatever you want to call it do its thing. By having it on AUTO it dries out the coils and if you have your destination going on the Nav, you'll notice that it switches it to outside air before getting there.

Definitely not rocket science, but it's nice to know that there is a working solution to prevent the foul smell. I'll also note that the smell issue is a lot less in the Y (better system), although it still occurs, but it seems the 3 with the dinky design is inferior, which makes sense. On a side note, I wish they would at least put the bio pre filter unit on the Performance model or at least have it an option, but that'd make things more complicated production wise so I get it.

Thanks for all the useful input.

Now let me ask, for those that prefer not to use the chemical sprays, what are your thoughts on spraying (spray bottle / mist) a mixed diluted solution of IPA >70% or Hydrogen Peroxide into the intake vent to help sanitize the funk? Since IPA evaporates quickly it should technically be okay? As for H2O2 the only issue with that is potential corrosion on metal fins? However, it would evaporate fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue?

The reason for using IPA or H2O2 is due to having a newborn and a small child. Just a personal preference, to each their own. I get that you blow out the vents with the sprays and all, but if there is another solution like the ones above that could do the job without any downfalls, then I'm open to trying that out.

Appreciate any input.

I'm convinced that this is the key, to keep the air on AUTO and to let the car/algorithm or whatever you want to call it do its thing. By having it on AUTO it dries out the coils and if you have your destination going on the Nav, you'll notice that it switches it to outside air before getting there.

Now let me ask, for those that prefer not to use the chemical sprays, what are your thoughts on spraying (spray bottle / mist) a mixed diluted solution of IPA >70% or Hydrogen Peroxide into the intake vent to help sanitize the funk? Since IPA evaporates quickly it should technically be okay?
A couple of things, the Model 3 and Y systems are virtually identical. Your point about leaving it on Auto mode is probably the KEY. I've never had any bad smells until I started using recirculation mode occasionally due to external air pollution.

You can use sprays, but like I said an an earlier post, the air flow path goes from intake > fan > filters > AC coils. So you need to take out the filters before you spray, or whatever you spray will just end up in the fan blades, then the filters. After numerous tests by myself and other forum members, it's very clear that the bad smells are NOT from the filters being fouled, and most probably originates in the coils.

A couple of things, the Model 3 and Y systems are virtually identical. Your point about leaving it on Auto mode is probably the KEY. I've never had any bad smells until I started using recirculation mode occasionally due to external air pollution.

You can use sprays, but like I said an an earlier post, the air flow path goes from intake > fan > filters > AC coils. So you need to take out the filters before you spray, or whatever you spray will just end up in the fan blades, then the filters. After numerous tests by myself and other forum members, it's very clear that the bad smells are NOT from the filters being fouled, and most probably originates in the coils.

Correct. I definitely know it was never the filters themselves, I completely forgot to mention that part. The reason for me changing out mine was because of all the smoke and dust, not because I thought it was the culprit.

As for your experience and noticing the smells after using re-circulation mode, that makes sense and it has been the common theme around here and in other forums.

The systems in the 3 and Y are indeed identical. What I was referring to was the pre filter unit (Bio Mode) that can be retrofitted in older Ys that don't have them. It was just a wish that the 3, at least in the LR and P could get a similar unit as well. Not that this has anything to do with the smell issue, it was just a random thought.

Do you think that misting IPA or H2O2 w/ the filters removed into the intake take would be harmless in terms of affecting any of the parts inside? The only thing I could think of is maybe if the H2O2 didn't dry up in time that it could discolor some parts of the dash? I may be just be overly cautious at this point, but honestly I think it'll be A-OK.

I guess I'll give it a shot on my next filter change.

Thanks for your input.

Do you think that misting IPA or H2O2 w/ the filters removed into the intake take would be harmless in terms of affecting any of the parts inside?
From brief research, seems like H2O2 could discolor plastics or harden rubber, so I'm not sure if misting it into the intake and then having it spread all over the car in a fine mist would be the best idea. Also I'd assume to kill fungus properly you'd want the entire surface of whatever you're disinfecting to be covered in liquid form before drying.

Personally I'd look into other disinfectant sprays that's plastic and metal safe. I'm as frustrated as you are because my car keeps getting the smells every few month even after using giant cans of AC foam cleaners, and before I ever used manual recirculation, the car smelled great!

You could try IPA or H2O2 and see how well they work for you. So far the only thing that worked for me for at least 2 months is giant cans of AC foam cleaners. I tried spraying microban with the filter taken out, emptying an entire can through the intake, and that only got rid of the smell for like 3 days.

A forum member said Zero Odor worked for them. The active ingredient seem to be a hydrated alcohol, so maybe IPA would work.

Interesting information about the path the air travels, however the vaporized spray is definitely getting to wherever the stinkiness is because it immediately goes away.

I doubt the fan blades will prevent the spray from reaching the filter which is like a giant sponge. Also if the filter is wet, the antifungal spray will simply be present at a lower solution than if it hits a dry filter. Once the filter is dried out, the antifungal concentration goes back up.

Running the hvac for a couple of minutes on high with the air conditioning off and recirculate off definitely seems to dry the system out and help keep the stink away.

I would not be terribly concerned about the reactivity of hydrogen peroxide over time on car parts. I do think however that its antimicrobial life span would be very very short. The antimicrobial spray that I listed, I think I recall, is suggested for use in HVAC systems.

L8d

I doubt the fan blades will prevent the spray from reaching the filter which is like a giant sponge. Also if the filter is wet, the antifungal spray will simply be present at a lower solution than if it hits a dry filter. Once the filter is dried out, the antifungal concentration goes back up.
Having the antifungal spray hitting the filter might not be effective if the smell is coming from the coils? But the smell could be from anywhere within the circuit, could be the drain just upstream of the filters, could be the fan blades themselves.

You said last time you sprayed the smell went away for a week. Maybe you could try to spray with the filters out and see if it lasts longer or shorter.

For my next attempt, I'm going to try spraying antifungal into the recirculation inlet (hidden behind the glove box just above the filter door) and see if that does anything. I'll try it with the filters installed, since it's a bit of a pain in the @ss to remove them.

Yes it's strange, sometimes I have to spray every week and sometimes I spray once a month? I'd have to look back at my posting. I will definitely spray the filters next time I replace them. I'm just trying to avoid doing car work that's the reason I bought a Tesla.

Spraying into the inlet with the fan on high takes about 2 minutes. Pretty quick and easy, no hands and knees torx drivers etc.

I always knew the problem isn't with the filter. Today I confirmed it by taking out the filter and running without it. Sure enough it still stinks as always. This is AFTER I changed to a new filter, did the coil foam clean, & spray the coil/box with 1:10 bleach all done last week. Tesla has a design fault and likely killing my lungs with mold.

I believe I have done over 8 filter changes since buying the car in Aug 2020 with about 20K miles. The amount of filter I buy, Amazon must think I operate a fleet of Ys. Embarrassing.
I won’t use bleach because it can cause damage to your nose, throat and lung tissues. Use white vinegar instead, try different strengths eg 1:10 parts. Try getting high strength vinegars, those use for cleaning vs household cooking vinegar.

Reactions: Marty3SR+
Did you take the filters out before spraying the anti fungal? If not, wouldn't all that spray just end up on the surface of the filters?

The airflow of the AC system is like this: outside air intake -> fan -> filters -> AC Evap coil -> Heating condenser coil -> ducts. And if you put on recirculate, the outside air intake is blocked, and air is sucked in from inside the cabin directly next to the fan, which is just above the filters.

I'm assuming most of the sour smell is from some kind of accumulation in the AC coil, however, last time after I flooded the whole filter space with cleaning foam, I could still smell like 2% of that sour smell quite soon after, so it wouldn't surprise me if whatever's growing is also on the heating coils or the low spots in the ducting around those areas.

Weber Auto video about the whole heat pump system where you could see a detailed view of the components taken out of the car.
After battling this nonsense for nearly 3 years I'm guess the problem is actually POST AC evaporator coil and heating condenser coil. With the amount of coil cleaner, bleach, and Lysol I sprayed into the system nothing is living where it can be accessed.
Are there other ducts that opens up or closes during operations? How can the car only smell on start up and be fine when the system is running AND significantly worse on raining days.

Reactions: jsmay311