Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any after market for Hitch Cover Plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get it and let us know :)

I wonder how it will match the plastic lower facia. I also wonder if its metal and will clang around ?

I still think the best overall option is just to bend in a few of the tabs to make the existing panel much easier to remove. Also you can prob source a rubber black grommet somewhere to fill that hole. It would look kinda odd with the hole in there.
Got it. It’s super. There is no clanging around. It took about three seconds to install. I don’t see how water would be “funneled“ in there. The hole makes it a piece of cake to pull out.
1321C9DB-E4A7-4729-BEB4-58AFD55CB651.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Got mine. My comments. Super easy to install.

I'm not finding it as easy to remove. Maybe my spring is stronger (or my finger weaker) but it's taking me a good effort to pull it off. But certainly easier than the OEM cover by far. One problem is that they put the end of the spring along the top which is how I grip it so I can't grip it as well to pull it off. I thought I'd flip that to the bottom to get a better grip but because of the angle of the cover you can't. The working 'nubs' of the spring won't go back in to place that way.

I'd say the color match below is about the same as above. Not quite identical but good enough for me.

As for debris, @DanDi58 I disagree. I think the purpose of the cover was esthetics. But it's certainly going to get a lot less through that hole that the whole opening when you are using the hitch. After all there is a lot bigger opening then and I like some others was leaving it off most of the timne because the OEM cover is so hard to deal with. I wondered about water although the same argument holds for water. That it would be much worse with the cover off if it is a problem at all. I tried pouring water in that area and there is a drain somewhere. I comes flowing out about 3 feet from the rear.

But the cover poses a different problem. It would let water sit in there if it does get in. The inside is a square that fits inside the receiver so there won't be any drainage if water does come through the hole. I suppose it will slowly leak out but I plan to drill a hole right inside the back cover in the square part that goes in the receiver for a drain. I'll have to look more closely but if there is room I might also drill a hole in the top of similar size to the one you can see so I can get a better grip.

The last thing I may do is look for a suitable rubber plug that I can just pry off and snap back in. That will pretty much solve any issue there.
PXL_20210721_171828129.jpg

Well, of course, there will be less through the hole than when the cover is removed, that's pretty obvious. The comparison isn't 'cover with hole' to 'cover removed'. You will get more debris in there with the hole than with no hole, although it may be only a small amount. But I have noticed a lot of road dust collects on the small horizontal shelf at the bottom of the rear valance, so stands to reason that some of that will get in through the hole. I'm very happy with having removed all but 4 of the clips and maintaining the stock look.

Got mine. My comments. Super easy to install.

I'm not finding it as easy to remove. Maybe my spring is stronger (or my finger weaker) but it's taking me a good effort to pull it off. But certainly easier than the OEM cover by far. One problem is that they put the end of the spring along the top which is how I grip it so I can't grip it as well to pull it off. I thought I'd flip that to the bottom to get a better grip but because of the angle of the cover you can't. The working 'nubs' of the spring won't go back in to place that way.

I'd say the color match below is about the same as above. Not quite identical but good enough for me.

As for debris, @DanDi58 I disagree. I think the purpose of the cover was esthetics. But it's certainly going to get a lot less through that hole that the whole opening when you are using the hitch. After all there is a lot bigger opening then and I like some others was leaving it off most of the timne because the OEM cover is so hard to deal with. I wondered about water although the same argument holds for water. That it would be much worse with the cover off if it is a problem at all. I tried pouring water in that area and there is a drain somewhere. I comes flowing out about 3 feet from the rear.

But the cover poses a different problem. It would let water sit in there if it does get in. The inside is a square that fits inside the receiver so there won't be any drainage if water does come through the hole. I suppose it will slowly leak out but I plan to drill a hole right inside the back cover in the square part that goes in the receiver for a drain. I'll have to look more closely but if there is room I might also drill a hole in the top of similar size to the one you can see so I can get a better grip.

The last thing I may do is look for a suitable rubber plug that I can just pry off and snap back in. That will pretty much solve any issue there.View attachment 686688
A rubber grommet should do the trick

Update on the hitch cover. Having put it on and taken it off 3 or 4 times now, it seems easier. Still needs a bit of a yank but I decided it was easy enough so I'm not going to try to bend the spring. Still have to look for a grommet to cover the hole

Look on McMaster or something .. must be a small black rubber grommet to plug that hole, it looks out of place. The seller should of figured this out already. And you want the spring kinda tight .. the car runs freakin 11’s in the quarter. Most other cars would be loosing door handles at that