Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Apple employees here on the forun with an answer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
Okay, so I know it's a long shot, but people on this forum are smart and helpful and it wouldn't be improbable that there are some Apple folks here...

I'm extremely frustrated with my Iphone 4 and it's randomly occuring bug: it is locked, a call comes in, "slide to answer" fails to work (unresponsive), call is missed.

Anyone who has had this happen knows what I'm talking about.

There is tons of info and reports on this from users, but no solution and no response from Apple. There are so many ppl who have had more than 5 phone replacements but same issue occuring at random.

It has happened with IP3, 4, 4S.

So, is it true what I'm thinking: Apple knows, it's a bug, they haven't been able to fix it, it would be too expensive and embarrasing to recall all Iphones???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm extremely frustrated with my Iphone 4 and it's randomly occuring bug: it is locked, a call comes in, "slide to answer" fails to work (unresponsive), call is missed.

Anyone who has had this happen knows what I'm talking about.

I've read that pressing the "Sleep/wake" button (the one on the top) will mute the ringing and then allow the "slide to answer" to work.

I've never had "slide to answer" be unresponsive, but I have had the situation where it moves more than halfway and then bounces back, not answering the call. Very frustrating.

Make sure you are running the latest version of iOS--for the iPhone 4 that's version 5.1.1

you're definitely not alone, this happens to me all the time. pressing the sleep wake button sometimes saves you, i try to slide it slowly...

that's right though, this has been present in: 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s

The wierdest thing that I've found out while trying to get to the bottom of this problem (spent 3+ hours trying to research it today) is that there are hundreds (thousands) of reports on the web and I've asked friends and many have experienced it BUT from what I'm reading on forums (including discussion.apple.com) whenever someone reports this to Apple support, in an Apple store or talking with a "genious" they always seem to respond something like "Oh that's wierd, never heard that before, you should do a backup and then a factory reset". This of course does not help, so people get their phone replaced, which doesn't help either.

So what I'm getting at is I think this is a well known issue within Apple that is being denied/covered up to the consumers. I would REALLY like to know if anyone has the least bit of inside information on this. I also find it really strange that it has apparently been there is several generations of hardware (Iphone 2, 3, 4, 4S) and also all the way since iOS 3 and still in iOS 5... To me this sugests not a pure hardware issue but neither a pure software issue?

I've never had this happen to me (original iPhone and iPhone 4). However, 90% of the time I use the clicker on the headset to answer the phone so I never have to touch the slider.

What I have had happen is when watching a movie on homeshare it will drop the WiFi connection every thirty minutes. This never happens on any other kind of WiFi access so it's a homeshare problem, and it started a couple of iTunes upgrades ago.

"Oh that's wierd, never heard that before, you should do a backup and then a factory reset".

Yeah, I did that recently to try and solve a problem with my iPhone. Unfortunately the backup failed and I lost a ton of stuff! And it didn't fix the problem.

Fortunately I was able to extract over a month's worth of missing photos and videos manually from the backup files. What a massive pain in the ass that was!!!

I finally figured out the problem on my own. The phone had been drawing way too much power, the switches were acting flaky, and the speaker would intermittently refuse to work. I starting thinking back to what I was doing when the glitches started, and I realized the event in question was a three-day course I took at the Bridgestone Racing Academy. The iPhone had been in my shirt pocket throughout, buried inside a Nomex suit, wedged into a formula car, in 90+ degree heat. Hmm... that's when I realized that all of the glitches could be explained by moisture in the phone. Apple no doubt uses very weak pull-up resistors for the switch inputs to minimize power draw, so maybe a little bit of moisture contamination would make them flaky. Then I realized why the speaker was switching off - it thought the earbuds were plugged in. It all added up.

Solution: I put the phone in a Tupperware full of desiccant packs for two days. Everything went back to normal!