Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Canadians with 5.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the service centre install 5.6 earlier this week. I didn't get the car back until today as I was out of town.
So I requested 5.8 after reading about it here on TMC which they did, now regretting it as it is being indicated in some other threads that 5.8 disables the air suspension lowering at highway speeds!

I had the sc load 5.6 but last night when I heard 5.8 is underway, I made sure my car was connected to wifi. This morning woke up to a 5.8 upgrade notice!

Btw I'm based in Richmond and Vancouver, BC. My upgrade overnight to 5.8 came over wifi while at Cultus Lake. It looks like upgrades are indeed prioritized over wifi. I just jumped a step by getting the sc to upgrade me from 4.5 to 5.6 last week.

I was wondering if Canadian Tesla owners were upgraded OTA more slowly since Tesla is paying for 3G data here as a roaming account (!) but that doesn't necessarily make sense since eventually all 4.5 need to be upgraded to the 5.x series to enable wifi connections, so delaying just prolongs the pain and doesn't necessarily save Tesla money.

I don't think it's a money thing; the bandwidth has to be paid for regardless. Plus on previous updates I was usually one of the first. They're just mixing it up.

Also one thing that might affect the rollout timing is that they have to put together different packages for cars that have different hardware versions. For example most of my car is vintage Nov/Dec 2012. But my touchscreen is from Feb 2013, and it was confirmed as being a newer hardware version than the one that was replaced. And my door handles are less than two months old. So it may be that my car needs a different build than anyone else's. No doubt it takes them time to assemble all the different packages required.

I got the upgrade icon today, not touching it for now (although at some point the wiper maintenance mode may become too useful to pass on in winter).

Issues of looks notwithstanding, I would be curious to get an estimate of the range impact the low vs. standard heights have on range at highway speeds.

After all, the cars on non-air shocks are always at the standard height...

A number has been bandied about of 10 wH/mi.

I went ahead and upgraded, because I wanted some of the other features. I fully expect lowering to reappear as an option at some point in the future. I expect I would only use lowering on long trips, not daily driving.

I'm happy to have the TPMS rest on the car itself (I just changed to winter tires from Tire Rack and had to go to the service center to initialize).

Not being familiar with how this works, how does the car automatically recognize which wheel is where? I presume the tire mounted sensors wirelessly communicate with a given wheel well closest to it thus allowing the car or know which tire is low?

If a Tesla service tech initializes the TPMS, then the car knows which wheel is where. If it is done through the touchscreen then the car doesn't know.

That's fine by me. I just want to know a tire is low. I can figure out which one with a tire gauge.

I don't think it tells you which exact tire is low, just that at least one is. I had low pressures due to the temperature change and the dash alert just said pressures were low, not which tire. My husband's car's sensors not only tell you which tire is low, it gives real time readings of exact individual pressures for each tire. Did the SC charge you for the reset? Kal Tire can do it for $29-$49.