Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any configuration regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is red with a white interior and 19 inch sport wheels, hence the name.
My Model Y, is base to its core. White, black and the 19 wheel.

I ordered my Model 3 from the website. The Model Y is a SR. A dealer found this for me. Since they were no long available, he found a white with black and 19s. If I had my choice, I would’ve gotten black with white seats and the 20s. But hey, I got my MYSR for a little over 40k, so I can’t complain.

The white seats,! IMO are a must. It just makes the car look so nice. Black is pretty standard.
Disagree about white seats. I test drove a white interior on Turo for a weekend and hated the brightness of the white interior. I think everyone should test drive it for the weekend and see if the brightness bothers them. But if it didn’t bother me then I probably would have gotten white. Currently have red on black on order

Reactions: Oil Freedom
All of my cars are red and black. When I bought my M3, white interior option wasn’t available. So far, I am happy with red/black. I used to have a red lotus with white leather seats. I bought it used so didn’t have a choice. White leather was ok but I would have preferred black seats. Getting another red/black MYP. Thought about switching to white interior this time… but nah… I might regret getting a white interior.

All of my cars are red and black. When I bought my M3, white interior option wasn’t available. So far, I am happy with red/black. I used to have a red lotus with white leather seats. I bought it used so didn’t have a choice. White leather was ok but I would have preferred black seats. Getting another red/black MYP. Thought about switching to white interior this time… but nah… I might regret getting a white interior.
I just recommend test driving a tesla with white seats (like on Turo) to see if you would like it. I personally didn’t, but you may

Disagree about white seats. I test drove a white interior on Turo for a weekend and hated the brightness of the white interior. I think everyone should test drive it for the weekend and see if the brightness bothers them. But if it didn’t bother me then I probably would have gotten white. Currently have red on black on order
On the flip there are covers you can get for the white dash and door pieces. I might not have minded the brightness if it was just the seats but didn't know about the option of covering the other white bits when choosing the black interior.

On the flip there are covers you can get for the white dash and door pieces. I might not have minded the brightness if it was just the seats but didn't know about the option of covering the other white bits when choosing the black interior.
That is true, but I don’t know

1) if the seats would also bother me (I did see a lot of reflections from the seats on the glass). Also most of the time as the driver you don’t even pay attention to the seats. Only when you get in. So for me with the risk of me not liking it and that fact it doesn’t make sense to spend another $1,000 for something I might hate.

2) if I would like the look of a custom dash.

I also like the wood dash. And I saw pictures of it with white interior and it just looks weird…

I never noticed any brightness of the white seats. They’re white, not reflective silver. But neat, glad you finally got your order in. Congratulations.

I never noticed any brightness of the white seats. They’re white, not reflective silver. But neat, glad you finally got your order in. Congratulations.
What I may consider is opting for the white seats but replacing the dash and door trim with carbon fiber or wood. I just didn’t like having a white thing right below my eyes, idk why. Can’t explain it. Are there any pictures of someone with a white interior who changed out the dash?

F044B032-FC65-44DE-B9A4-A69503FF3DD6.jpeg

That photo reminds me of the final reason why I didn't go with white. It was the light-colored trim and how badly it reflected off the windows in many lighting conditions. I knew it would get even worse once I tinted all the windows. I didn't want the hassle of swapping out all the trim with something darker.

Thanks guys, sticking with red on black.

FWIW, I had time to really consider the color choices, reviewed 100s of pics online, and I've owned a decent number of vehicles (for some real world comparison), and if I would've gone with a red exterior - and it was my close 2nd choice - I would've opted for black (I wound up with MSM + White).

For me, I like mixing a bright, non-neutral exterior color with a darker, contrasting interior - with neutral colors, I like the interior to pop a little more: for example, my two cars prior to the Tesla were a '15 Mustang GT Convertible, black with a red interior, then a '19 GT vert, orange with a black interior :)

One thing though, I'd have to cover up the wood with a black interior, that doesn't work for me at all, but there are several options for this, from simple vinyl overlays, to carbon fiber covers.

one thing I do see quite a few people saying they regret (in some form or another) is buying SR+ tesla model 3s instead of LR ones. That regret is either direct (rarely) or indirect complaints about range (very, very often).
I agree. I personally know two people who got the standard range Model 3. Both regretted it. One has already replaced his car with a long range version. My default recommendation to people looking to buy a Tesla is to avoid the standard range version.

There are some cases where a SR has a good use case. For example, a third friend already owns a long range Model Y for family use. They're now looking at a standard range Model 3 because they'll only use it around town and not for any road trips, etc. However, when it comes to re-sale, the LR will always do better, especially as EV ranges generally improve.

No regrets. I have a white on black Long Range with 18’s. White was my favorite color on this car (previous car was white too), so added bonus there’s no up charge. I sometimes wish I had gotten the 19’s, but I’ve heard the ride quality is better with the 18’s. But really I actually like the look of the 18’s, both with and without the covers. And it lets me change the appearance easily. And I have a young son so the black interior made more sense. I don’t like white on white, but since I prefer the white exterior the black interior made more sense.
That's my config too. Also no regrets!

I've always thought the red with white interior looks really great. However, I don't want a white interior for my own car. One of my biggest reasons for this is that it's too bright inside the car. Even with my tinted windows, white papers laying on my black passenger seat in direct sunlight reflect lots of light and are quite bright. Multiply that out across the entire seat, dashboard, etc. No thanks. Given more options, some other color might be nice.

For the wheels: I test drove a performance Model Y and was pleasantly surprised at how the larger wheels didn't particularly result in a rougher ride quality to me.

Last edited:
I agree. I personally know two people who got the standard range Model 3. Both regretted it. One has already replaced his car with a long range version. My default recommendation to people looking to buy a Tesla is to avoid the standard range version.

There are some cases where a SR has a good use case. For example, a third friend already owns a long range Model Y for family use. They're now looking at a standard range Model 3 because they'll only use it around town and not for any road trips, etc. However, when it comes to re-sale, the LR will always do better, especially as EV ranges generally improve.
Great call out and funny you should mention this. One of the first people on this forum I had in-depth contact with personally bought the SR. Within a week he already regretted not getting the M3 LR. It was before they changed the battery chemistry and basically, he had to charge to 100% every day to make his round trip commute as very limited charging options near his work.

He loved the car but hated the range issues. He was concerned with having to charge to a very high state the battery would degrade even faster than normal. Having already been in that situation where I had to max out the charge all the time with another EV (not Tesla), I saw how badly that impacted the battery in several years.

When I trip plan I like to compare my 3 and S just for the heck of it even if I have plans for one specific car. I recently was planning about 2000 mile total trip with our 3. I then ran the numbers for the S. If we took the S, because of the slightly greater real-world range, it would save 3 hours in charging time. That was optimizing everything through ABRP (a better route planner) which used all the real-world data it pulls directly from our cars and not the pie in the sky optimistic Tesla range numbers.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
FWIW, I had time to really consider the color choices, reviewed 100s of pics online, and I've owned a decent number of vehicles (for some real world comparison), and if I would've gone with a red exterior - and it was my close 2nd choice - I would've opted for black (I wound up with MSM + White).

For me, I like mixing a bright, non-neutral exterior color with a darker, contrasting interior - with neutral colors, I like the interior to pop a little more: for example, my two cars prior to the Tesla were a '15 Mustang GT Convertible, black with a red interior, then a '19 GT vert, orange with a black interior :)

One thing though, I'd have to cover up the wood with a black interior, that doesn't work for me at all, but there are several options for this, from simple vinyl overlays, to carbon fiber covers.
I’m also considering going for white on white and replacing the white trim. But I haven’t seen many pictures of that configuration to know if I would like it

I’m also considering going for white on white and replacing the white trim. But I haven’t seen many pictures of that configuration to know if I would like it

Oh, so keep the white seating surfaces, but cover the white center dash strips and door strakes? TeslaBros have a number of options:

Matte, gloss blacks, gray, carbon, it's vinyl so it's not very expensive.

Oh, so keep the white seating surfaces, but cover the white center dash strips and door strakes? TeslaBros have a number of options:

Matte, gloss blacks, gray, carbon, it's vinyl so it's not very expensive.
Yeah exactly.

But I want to see what the dash looks like with the white seats. Like a whole cabin picture not just the dash if that makes cents