Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any consensus on 22" with same range as stock 20"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new member, Midnight Gray X100D coming in a couple weeks. White interior, 6 passengers.

Attached a few pics of my previous ride, a 2015 Jeep SRT with 22" Bronze rims. Beside is the overnight demo that the Richmond store gently provided.

Was looking for 22" Bronze for the X but range is very important, and after reading 1,534 posts on the forum, I realize that the big rims MAY have a penalty on range. I'm ok to lose up to 5% but didn't want to give 15-20% away.

Looks the the TSportline TTS with Conti DWS06 is a good choice. Is this correct? That's the top of my budget, can't afford an $8000+ set.

They have a $500 special going on until today, but any other recommendation is highly appreciated. Especially is somebody knows a set in Bronze.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 62adb48d-9226-4f6d-b20d-e94794819e84.jpg
    62adb48d-9226-4f6d-b20d-e94794819e84.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 845fa964-9793-410f-98ed-2496a21bd682.jpg
    845fa964-9793-410f-98ed-2496a21bd682.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 93
  • b6fd3c04-9abb-42c0-88d2-92e6bf55fcda.jpg
    b6fd3c04-9abb-42c0-88d2-92e6bf55fcda.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the quick response. The 20" looks so small, really like the look of the 22", and some users posted that they could get better range not using Pirelli as those are more a performance tire and not so much "Low rolling resistance".

We had 22's on for a few years but went back to 20's because there are more advantages to the 20's. 22's do look a little better, but you'll enjoy a better ride, range, and it's easy to find a 20'' tire on a road trip if you have a flat.

Keep in mind it's NOT the RIMs. It's the tires that dictate range.

That said, 22" tire will probably be limited towards more higher performance tires (sticky) which tend to be less range efficient and shorter tread life.

Do your homework on tires, figure out what size you can get then pick the rim. Don't pick the rim first. Tirerack is a great resource to figure out what you want. Look for the highest rated efficiency for each rim size. Also keep in mind user ratings are based within each category. You can't compare a 5 Star Slick summer tire to 5 Star All Season. They are rated 5 Star for different reasons.

Look for "Eco" tires (Pirelli calls them EcoImpact, Michelin calls the Green X etc.)

The higher the tread life the more efficient they tend to get. They also get worse on Wet grip and braking.

Tesla tends to choose middle ground on the lower rim sizes and sticky performance tires on the larger rims.

22" Rim's might be slightly wider but that's not the bulk of the efficiency difference.

Euro web sites have a nice standard for Efficiency Ratings and Noise.

• Love
Reactions: SSedan
I replaced the 20” with Vossen aftermarket 22”. I also changed the tires with Pirelli low rolling resistance all season tires.
I have not seen any increase in consumption. I just finished 500 mile trip with speeds averaging 84 mph and I had average 378 Wh/mi.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and SSedan
Keep in mind it's NOT the RIMs. It's the tires that dictate range.
That said, 22" tire will probably be limited towards more higher performance tires (sticky) which tend to be less range efficient and shorter tread life. Do your homework on tires, figure out what size you can get then pick the rim. Don't pick the rim first. Tirerack is a great resource to figure out what you want. Look for the highest rated efficiency for each rim size. Also keep in mind user ratings are based within each category. You can't compare a 5 Star Slick summer tire to 5 Star All Season. They are rated 5 Star for different reasons.

Look for "Eco" tires (Pirelli calls them EcoImpact, Michelin calls the Green X etc.)
The higher the tread life the more efficient they tend to get. They also get worse on Wet grip and braking.
Tesla tends to choose middle ground on the lower rim sizes and sticky performance tires on the larger rims.
22" Rim's might be slightly wider but that's not the bulk of the efficiency difference.
Euro web sites have a nice standard for Efficiency Ratings and Noise.

It's actually the combination of the rotational mass of both the rim and tire... :cool:

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here's how wheel size can affect efficiency - Electrek

The tests date back to December of last year, but they were recently released by the EPA and analyzed by Teslike on Tesla’s Subreddit to compare the energy consumption of 19″ and 21″ Model S wheels or 20″ and 22″ Model X wheels.

Here are the results:
  • 4.9% more consumption for Model S P100D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 5.2% more consumption for Model S P90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.6% more consumption for Model S 60/75 with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.8% more consumption for Model S 60D/75D/90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 22.2% more consumption for Model X P90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 22.5% more consumption for Model X 60D/75D/90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 23.3% more consumption for Model X P100D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
upload_2019-12-9_18-49-26.png

It's actually the combination of the rotational mass of both the rim and tire... :cool:

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here's how wheel size can affect efficiency - Electrek

The tests date back to December of last year, but they were recently released by the EPA and analyzed by Teslike on Tesla’s Subreddit to compare the energy consumption of 19″ and 21″ Model S wheels or 20″ and 22″ Model X wheels.

Here are the results:
  • 4.9% more consumption for Model S P100D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 5.2% more consumption for Model S P90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.6% more consumption for Model S 60/75 with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.8% more consumption for Model S 60D/75D/90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 22.2% more consumption for Model X P90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 22.5% more consumption for Model X 60D/75D/90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 23.3% more consumption for Model X P100D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
View attachment 486617

Again, they are testing three variables at once and blaming it all on the rim size and don’t even mention what tires were used.

Soft sticky summer tires are like driving in the rain every day as far as efficiency goes.

Agreed it is total weight that matters (often left out with only a rim weight mentioned).

They also have no idea where the weight is. It matters more if the change in weight is out at the edge vs near the hub.

If you get the exact tire combinations that they state (vaguely) then sure you might get those difference. But Who cares.

So many articles like this that ignore even mention of the tires and their huge impact.

Find a tire you like, then pick the rim.

I really wanted 19” OEM wheels but the tires that came with them had horrible reviews. Does that mean all 19” rims are bad? I researched for weeks to see even if better tire existed than the 18” I was on. Turned out that was easy because the 18” OEM is one of the worst rated tires on tirerack. So I bought the rims from Tesla and the quietest most efficient tire I could find. It ended up as efficient as the 18” with the high efficiency covers. And quieter without the foam.

You can see @Rkilian went from “20 to 22” and lost nothing. Because he did his homework on tires. And ingnored the articles that only look at rim size.

I replaced the 20” with Vossen aftermarket 22”. I also changed the tires with Pirelli low rolling resistance all season tires.
I have not seen any increase in consumption. I just finished 500 mile trip with speeds averaging 84 mph and I had average 378 Wh/mi.

Which Pirelli tire did you get?

What width rims, stagger? tire sizes did you go with.

I think the 19” OEM wheels even look better than the 20” OEM.

Again, they are testing three variables at once and blaming it all on the rim size and don’t even mention what tires were used.

Soft sticky summer tires are like driving in the rain every day as far as efficiency goes.

Agreed it is total weight that matters (often left out with only a rim weight mentioned).

They also have no idea where the weight is. It matters more if the change in weight is out at the edge vs near the hub.

If you get the exact tire combinations that they state (vaguely) then sure you might get those difference. But Who cares.

So many articles like this that ignore even mention of the tires and their huge impact.

Find a tire you like, then pick the rim.

I really wanted 19” OEM wheels but the tires that came with them had horrible reviews. Does that mean all 19” rims are bad? I researched for weeks to see even if better tire existed than the 18” I was on. Turned out that was easy because the 18” OEM is one of the worst rated tires on tirerack. So I bought the rims from Tesla and the quietest most efficient tire I could find. It ended up as efficient as the 18” with the high efficiency covers. And quieter without the foam.

You can see @Rkilian went from “20 to 22” and lost nothing. Because he did his homework on tires. And ingnored the articles that only look at rim size.

The truth will set you free... Tesla published the range numbers. :cool:

upload_2019-12-9_18-49-26-png.486617