Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

any evidence rush for 2016 S 100's SC01 is becoming false fever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
reports of used car prices dropping significantly;
there are individuals rushing to buy these 2016 S 100's
& then flipping them for higher price?
Is that still alive & well or burning out?
emperor's clothes, that sort of thing...
it only takes one buyer, but...

The only 100kWh pack cars made before FUSC (SC01) was removed would have been a handful of P100D's. Due to the timing of everything, no 100D's were ever made that came with FUSC (SC01) as all cars orered after 1/17/2017 came with a newer version for the original owner only that doesn't transfer. Besides, the average Tesla owner uses less than $200/yr in Supercharging. Hardly a consideration when you compare it to what one of these cars costs.

Might as well get the best car for you at the best price rather than narrow your search window to a very small pool of older cars with fewer features/options. If you're a super heavy Supercharger user that doesn't mind the older vehicles and probably paying a premium to get one then it may make sense. Personally, I've been able to find much better deals on cars by widening my search radius to pay for Supercharging for several life times by now.

oh yes they even have a name
UNICORNS 🦄 🦄 🦄

unicorn fever is real but it could soon turn into a value trap...?

The word "unicorn" ascribed to a used car is simply a way that some people try to generate additional (and usually false) urgency toward getting people to buy. If something is really rare, and desirable, it doesnt stay for sale long.

If you want to call some tesla roadster vehicles unicorns, sure. A 2016 model S, because it has free unlimited supercharging (which really only has a lot of value under specific circumstances)? Not so much, at least in my opinion.

The only 100kWh pack cars made before FUSC (SC01) was removed would have been a handful of P100D's. Due to the timing of everything, no 100D's were ever made that came with FUSC (SC01) as all cars orered after 1/17/2017 came with a newer version for the original owner only that doesn't transfer. Besides, the average Tesla owner uses less than $200/yr in Supercharging. Hardly a consideration when you compare it to what one of these cars costs.

Might as well get the best car for you at the best price rather than narrow your search window to a very small pool of older cars with fewer features/options. If you're a super heavy Supercharger user that doesn't mind the older vehicles and probably paying a premium to get one then it may make sense. Personally, I've been able to find much better deals on cars by widening my search radius to pay for Supercharging for several life times by now.
I would love to know how you figure the ‘average’ owner uses less than $200 per year.

With the continual increases in supercharging rates, I’d easily be paying the same per mile as my old gas car if I didn’t have FUSC.

I would love to know how you figure the ‘average’ owner uses less than $200 per year.

With the continual increases in supercharging rates, I’d easily be paying the same per mile as my old gas car if I didn’t have FUSC.
I'm not sure where specifically they acquire their data, but few people I know ever Supercharge. I think that your average user is somebody who charges at home 99.99% of the time. I can't tell you the last time that I even utilized a Supercharger, but I know it's been more than a year and we own several Tesla's and only Tesla's.

That lends to my point which is that most people think you're just supercharging all the time. The reality is, save for a limited number of rare outliers or exceptions to the rule, the average user almost never Supercharges which makes that feature less useful than most people realize.

The longer you own Tesla's, the more you come to realize that unlimited free supercharging isn't as valuable as many people believe it to be. There are a couple of outliers who supercharge exclusively, but for every one of those, there's probably 100,000 users that almost never use a supercharger.

Before narrowing your search pool exponentially, it's important to know which category you're in. If you don't know, then my guess is you probably won't benefit from it anywhere near as much as you believe that you do. That's the whole point of what made it such brilliant marketing in the first place.

Agreed, 99.9% of the time I charge at home even with free supercharging the inconvenience of going somewhere to sit and charge isn't worth it. And this coming from someone who's office was walking distance from a supercharger, when I was in the office. When I first got my car I was like sweet free charging I just would plug in before work, walk to my office work for 45 min then go back and move my car to our parking lot. That got old real quick when I realized $40ish/mo for charging at home was so much more convenient. Now I rarely supercharge a couple times a year except for the actual purpose of the supercharge network, road tripping. While road tripping for free is a nice perk just buying it to supercharge for everyday commuting vs charging at home to save a few bucks YYMV. Now that I'm not in the office, and if I was committed on only free supercharging the time I'd waste deviating to a charger + sitting & charging to save a few bucks doesn't add up for the loss of my time & just the overall inconvenience it adds compared just plug it in and be at 80/90% everyday is easily worth $40/mo.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
OK, glad to hear 100s SC01 Unicorn Fever could be misguided;
the real "tell" is if they are not immediately gobbled up...so far they are...
but SC01 is a must for some; :( :( :(
what percentage of population don't have parking with electric outlet
unless they spend ~$4K-5K US on new outlet installation...?
e.g., street parking, condos, apartments, high rises, etc.

That lends to my point which is that most people think you're just supercharging all the time. The reality is, save for a limited number of rare outliers or exceptions to the rule, the average user almost never Supercharges which makes that feature less useful than most people realize.

Regardless of money or budget, there are definitely some who have FUSC who could be charging at home, but dont, because "I get free electricity so why not??" and go out of their way to supercharge when they likely dont "need" to.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I believe, based on what you have stated in this thread, that you and I are in 100% agreement / alignment here.
I believe we are too. It's the logical conclusion for most. I think that a lot of people who think they "have" to have FUSC are doing themselves a disservice though based on how narrow the focus will be while searching for a vehicle. Just trying to offer another alternative since it's just math and math isn't emotional or opinion-driven.

I believe we are too. It's the logical conclusion for most. I think that a lot of people who think they "have" to have FUSC are doing themselves a disservice though based on how narrow the focus will be while searching for a vehicle. Just trying to offer another alternative since it's just math and math isn't emotional or opinion-driven.
"It's just math" ---> should be the quote of the year here at TMC! That is so accurate, and the real underlying answer of so many threads ...

Back to FUSC ...
My wife's X has FUSC. Unless we're on a road trip, we never use it.
I have a pile of referral Supercharging miles in my account still - somewhere north of 6,000 miles. They will finally expire sometime mid-July this year. I expect to have ... north of 6,000 miles' worth when they expire.

My time is, frankly, worth more than free Supercharging. Takes 2 seconds - if that - to plug the cable in while it's in my driveway. That alone is worth not having to drive to a Supercharger.

I guess if you've been conditioned to take time out of your schedule to go to a gas station your entire life, maybe it seems normal. Now that I charge at home, having to go out of my way to stop anywhere seems odd. One of my very favorite changes about going all-EV. Whole different mentality.

Honestly, OP? We’ve already suggested you set on a price you’re willing to pay for your red unicorn with FUSC and click “buy” the minute the boxes are checked. If you don’t, you honestly will never find a car because you’ll talk yourself out of it one way or another.
You’ll keep asking about whether you’re overpaying, whether you’ve missed the boat, or whether prices will skyrocket/crash. Said unicorn will disappear each time like the myth that it is.
So set the price you are willing to part with, find your dream car, pull the trigger, and drive happy. Then post awesome pics since you’re a pro photog that’s gonna have the car in every shot. 👍😀

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec