Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any functionality lost by NOT physically plugging in iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,
New Model 3 Performance owner here. I'm considering getting one of the Qi charging pads for my M3P. Will I lose any system functionality by doing this instead of physically plugging in my iPhone?

I plan on using a splitter, or perhaps powering the Qi pad with a separate battery so that I can continue to use my thumb drive for sentry/dash cam.

Are any of the Qi pads any better than the others?

Thanks,
Drew

Hi Folks,
New Model 3 Performance owner here. I'm considering getting one of the Qi charging pads for my M3P. Will I lose any system functionality by doing this instead of physically plugging in my iPhone?

I plan on using a splitter, or perhaps powering the Qi pad with a separate battery so that I can continue to use my thumb drive for sentry/dash cam.

Thanks,
Drew
FWIW, I have the Taptes one - it's about $49 on amazon. Works well and is about 50% the price of the other ones.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Drew

FWIW - I passed on the wireless charger and opted to "Future proof" by using cables. Should CarPlay or Android Auto ever get released, the wireless charging pad will be useless for that and takes up two USB ports...

FWIW, I have the Taptes one - it's about $49 on amazon. Works well and is about 50% the price of the other ones.
I have a Samsung Note 8 and it will not fit vertically.
I got the Jeda, which allow charging horizontally.

You can even close the door on top of it, so it's not visible,
but still allow getting phone calls while charging.

However, if you want to access your phone screen,
the phone is too low, unless you are parked.

You should get in this case a stand that can be attached
to the dashboard or the back of the Tesla screen.

Hmmm, does the Tesla wifi for software updates also double as a wifi hotspot? Don't know as I don't have mine yet. I had thought, not.

No, Tesla does not provide a WiFi hot spot. In fact, some people do it the other way around, at least occasionally. Teslas prefer to download software updates via WiFi, so if your WiFi wherever you park your car is weak, you might not get updates. Setting up your phone as a WiFi hot spot and connecting the car to that can help, although then you may get hit with data charges, depending on your cellular plan and how much data you've used. I don't know how many people do this on a regular basis, but I've seen occasional discussions about doing it.

I hope they never do Car Play or Android Auto.

I have Car Play in my other vehicle. I love it. But that's because the Native Entertainment and Navigation are archaic.

The Tesla is light years ahead of "Car Play / Android Auto"

Sure, it's missing some streaming services and a few features on Navigation. But I much rather those be fixed/improved than look at Car Play, Android Auto.

Car Play would just be a total failure/mess.

Sure, it's missing some streaming services and a few features on Navigation.
...and the ability to read/reply to texts or mail, ask to be navigated to a contact's address, ask to dial a specific number from one of your contacts, the ability to summon Siri (or google assistant) from the steering wheel or the car's mic....

I don't think anyone is asking for what they have to go away, I think mostly what people want (I want, anyway). Is for Tesla to let me use my phone for the things the car can't do yet. Right now, I'd call it almost user-hostile as things that even basic bluetooth has in other cars (ability to summon siri, browse the phone's stored music from the car's screen) isn't implemented.

...and the ability to read/reply to texts or mail, ask to be navigated to a contact's address, ask to dial a specific number from one of your contacts, the ability to summon Siri (or google assistant) from the steering wheel or the car's mic....

I don't think anyone is asking for what they have to go away, I think mostly what people want (I want, anyway). Is for Tesla to let me use my phone for the things the car can't do yet. Right now, I'd call it almost user-hostile as things that even basic bluetooth has in other cars (ability to summon siri, browse the phone's stored music from the car's screen) isn't implemented.

You can do most of things in your list by holding power button in on the iPhone X type phones. I think it’s home button on non X phones.

That’s why I mounted my phone in a ProClip instead of the stupid cubby.

It will initiate Siri over the cars mic without saying “Hey Siri”, it will immediately mute what’s playing. I do TTS based texting through the cars mic and speakers all the time. Only thing awkward is the button not being on the steering wheel.

It basically does “Siri Eyes”. I agree they could add “Siri Eyes” (basically a button on the Steering Wheel to initiate it).

If it was “Car Play”, I’d get Apple Maps if I said Navigate to Contact. Who wants that?

I don’t know if a more advanced “Siri Eyes” could be done to do something like navigate to contact. But send it to Tesla’s Nav.

What Tesla’s Nav is missing is alternate routes.

I’m sure Tesla could directly implement Nav to Contact.

Sure, it's missing some streaming services and a few features on Navigation. But I much rather those be fixed/improved than look at Car Play, Android Auto.

Without CarPlay, one big thing I miss is being able to get notifications of new text messages, and the ability to listen to incoming text messages and dictate outgoing messages.

My wife and I find Apple’s onscreen controls and labels more ergonomic than Tesla’s native interface.

And of course, Apple Music. We do it via Hey Siri now, but the CarPlay implementation is more versatile.

Tesla’s native nav. is adequate enough that I don’t miss CarPlay nav., but visually I still prefer the clutter free presentation of CarPlay nav. compared to Tesla nav.

Tesla doesn’t offer many fan favorite third party apps, such as google maps, Waze, WhatsApp, etc. One can get access to those if Tesla supported CarPlay.

So overall, I miss CarPlay and I wish Tesla integrated it. It doesn’t appear that Tesla has any interest in doing so. So I can only hope that they improve the native system to the point that I don’t miss the above mentioned CarPlay features.

I hope they never do Car Play or Android Auto.

[snip]

I get that you don't want Car Play or Android Auto - that's your choice. But how does Tesla allowing it impact you - why do you want those of us who DO want it to NOT have it? That makes no sense. It will have ZERO impact on you.

I've never understood this mentality (which I've seen multiple times)

Reactions: jebinc and dmurphy
... not if it’s done right.

I have this picture in my head of CarPlay as a pop up, kinda like the media player is now. Swipe up, and CarPlay shows up. Unobtrusive and out of your way if you don’t want it.

That’d be awesome, so I can use apps like MLB At Bat and SiriusXM on the display. Right now I miss XM more than almost anything from my Caddy. XM & the 360-degree camera are my two biggest “downgrades” I took moving to Model 3.

And to be honest - Waze and/or Google Maps wouldn’t be bad as a 2nd source either. They can do things - like waypoints - that the onboard nav can’t.

They’d be complementary, if done right.

Reactions: mswlogo
And to be honest - Waze and/or Google Maps wouldn’t be bad as a 2nd source either. They can do things - like waypoints - that the onboard nav can’t.
I live by Waze - won't live without it. I pull up Waze all the time, even with the onboard nav. Without fail, the onboard nav ALWAYS shows a later time than Waze (even with the same route and same settings) and Waze is always the accurate one.

I had onboard nav on my Ford Taurus (which I loved) and used it a couple of times with the same results.

... ….SiriusXM on the display. Right now I miss XM more than almost anything from my Caddy. XM & the 360-degree camera are my two biggest “downgrades” I took moving to Model 3.....

I solved the SiriusXM problem by installing a $25 Amazon Echo Auto in my M3. You could also install an Amazon Echo Input, or gen 2 Dot to accomplish the same. Seamless integration and XM music art and all is displayed on the screen, just like other streaming stations provided by Tesla. Here's a link...

Echo Auto In Model 3

Read subsequent post as well, for ideal placement.

Reactions: dmurphy