Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any M3 owners with a family regret it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am slowly working up to getting my first Tesla, researching and test driving over the last few months. After the first couple of test drives I was convinced that I wanted an MS 100D so my family of 4 (average size height / weight, 2 kids ages 13 and 10) had more room for longer road trips. However, as I have been hunting for the right MS I have gotten more and more anxious about big changes such as interior and exterior refresh to the MS coming sometime in the near future (next few years). The M3 is already updated with the latest design elements, hardware and batteries so it seems like a safer bet to keep for a few years whilst staying closer to the latest and greatest. I am a tech geek, so having the latest and greatest tech is really important to me.

So now I am considering saving a bunch of money and getting a really nice M3P instead of a 100D. I know the cargo space is a lot less in the M3, but for the few times a year we would go on a multi-hour road trip I can get a Thule cargo carrier which solves that problem. So my main worry now is size and comfort of the interior for us humans and that everyone will be comfortable on multi-hour road trips.

Would love to hear from anyone that has an M3 and a family (especially if you also own(ed) an MS) if the M3 isn't big enough to enjoy it comfortably.

Reactions: Dre78
No issue yet with the 14 & 12 year-old on a few hours trips. I've not done longer than w/more than two people but space wasn't an issue at all. The 14 y-o is still in "beanpole" mode but is nearly as tall as me.

We've even had three in the back for an hour+, including the 16 y-o that doesn't live at home, and it works fine.

The backseats on the Model 3, and really for many sedans in general, aren't always going to work for a given person's structure (leg to torso ratio varies a lot across the public, for example). So trying out is probably a given if this is a huge criteria for you. You could try a weekend trip via a Turo or Turo-like service. Expect lots of options for that in the Seattle area. It'll give you a lot better idea what it is all like. Spending $200 - $300 probably isn't a bad investment for your peace of mind making the purchase, as it clearly is weighing heavily on you.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and Jovian
Go for it-- you'll wish you'd done it sooner!

You'll be the coolest dad and the kids will love it!

We've taken 3 trips ( longest 6 hours) with our adult-sized teen (and friend) and they have plenty of space. The backseat feels spacious, and that dreaded floor hump found in ice cars is absent, so that's another whole realm of added space for legs.
In fact we love our 3 so much we got another.. careful they are addictive!!

Just be prepared for when your tween/teens start driving. They are "figured in" to insurance even if they will never drive it.. that's my state anyway..

Awesome, thanks everyone! I really appreciate the first hand experience comments. The more I look at the M3 and all of the futuristic design improvements over the MS the more I am sold that is the model I want as long as it is comfortable for our family.

Great idea on the overnight test drive or Turo rental - I think I will talk to my OA to see if I can do that as a next step.

Has anyone tried a cargo carrier with their M3? Recommendations / advice?

Reactions: davedavedave
If you like the M3 but would like a little extra cargo space, maybe you want to wait until the Model Y announcement, expected in March.

Can he wait until late 2021, early 2022 for a car?

Model S refresh happens before that.

@schnieds really wants to justify a 3.5 second 0-60 at the expense of comfort and mission versatility offered by the Model S.

I don’t blame him, that’s not an easy decision to make. :D

Though if the passenger count is really just 4 its ok. Only caveat is some time/expense will be needed to deal with the 20" Summer tires that the Performance Model 3 comes with.

Last edited:
  • Funny
My opinion is that it really depends more on the size of the front seat occupants, I am 6' 1" and at 245 lbs. svelte is not a word that anybody has used to describe me.

My SO on the other hand is small, when people ask me how tall she is I always say she's five foot none and 3/4" so anyone who sits behind her has limo style leg room and when i'm driving because I like my seat bottom further back and all the way down it tends to take away more leg room and foot room.

I did create a profile that I labeled "4 People" that I use when someone sits behind me, it has the seat bottom raised quite a bit and pushed forward just a little, the foot room makes the most difference for people behind me as they can easily place their feet under the seat back this way creating much more legroom.

I would not trade this for a roomier car even if my 6' 4" son went everywhere with us as its just the most fun to drive, economical car we have ever had, our first EV of any kind and now we are a convert for life!

We've taken several 4-adult weeklong trips in the Model 3, without regret. I do forewarn the humans to pack light and use only soft-sided luggage so I can maximize use of the frunk, trunk, and undertrunk storage. That said, we are about to take a 4-adult 10-day trip that is also a 10-12hr drive (the others were 4-6hr drives), and have reserved a damn minivan from Enterprise for this one. I think between the duration (backseats get to be uncomfortable after a while, according to my passengers), and the incremental luggage for this longer vacation, it will just be easier if I have the $500 minivan and zero concerns about who packs how much, seat comfort over long travel days, and finding a supercharger at my destination which tends to pull me away from family for 1-2 hours depending on circumstances. I hate the thought of burning gasoline again though, if even for just 10 days.

Reactions: 16Coma and Dre78
Family of five with 15, 10 and 4 year old. The 3 replaces my S and it works well despite my wife’s trepidation. The key is your lifestyle. I rarely have more than two kids in the car at one time. The 3 is a commuter and then take [insert] kid to and from practice, class, etc. We have a minivan for hauling multiple kids.

My oldest prefers the S but I’m the one with the smile on my face every time I drive the 3.

Reactions: Dre78 and Big Earl
I used to have the Model S, and now I own the M3P (I used to call it the P3D+, but now there is only one Model 3 performance so M3P is probably better).

There are a lot of differences.

The M3P is a nimble fighter where the Model 3 is a grand touring machine.
The Model S comes with all-season tires, and the M3P comes with summer performance tires which aren't good for cold weather. So you'll have to figure out what you want to do for Winter.
The 20" tires on the M3P won't give you the 310 miles range. It won't even be close unless you drive slow. So you'll need 18" or 19" tires to get a bit more range. With the 20" tires I can safely do 200 miles with around 50 miles as a buffer. This is assuming an average 70mph drive to Portland in 50 degree weather without rain. I'll probably switch out to 19" wheels to get a bit more range.
The Model S has available heated steering wheel and the M3P doesn't.
I preferred the two screens the Model S had.
The Model S was quieter
The Model S was the size of a spaceship inside. I still remember someone saying the 65" TV would never fit into the Model S in it's box, and while he was saying it I dropped it right in.
The M3P doesn't even fit my moms folding electric wheel chair unless I fold the seats down.

I think you have the right idea in that you'll need something for extra cargo if you go on a family road trip in the M3P.

I used to have the Model S, and now I own the M3P (I used to call it the P3D+, but now there is only one Model 3 performance so M3P is probably better).

There are a lot of differences.

The M3P is a nimble fighter where the Model 3 is a grand touring machine.
The Model S comes with all-season tires, and the M3P comes with summer performance tires which aren't good for cold weather. So you'll have to figure out what you want to do for Winter.
The 20" tires on the M3P won't give you the 310 miles range. It won't even be close unless you drive slow. So you'll need 18" or 19" tires to get a bit more range. With the 20" tires I can safely do 200 miles with around 50 miles as a buffer. This is assuming an average 70mph drive to Portland in 50 degree weather without rain. I'll probably switch out to 19" wheels to get a bit more range.
The Model S has available heated steering wheel and the M3P doesn't.
I preferred the two screens the Model S had.
The Model S was quieter
The Model S was the size of a spaceship inside. I still remember someone saying the 65" TV would never fit into the Model S in it's box, and while he was saying it I dropped it right in.
The M3P doesn't even fit my moms folding electric wheel chair unless I fold the seats down.

I think you have the right idea in that you'll need something for extra cargo if you go on a family road trip in the M3P.

Great info, thanks @S4WRXTTCS . So now that you've had both, which do you prefer?

I am slowly working up to getting my first Tesla, researching and test driving over the last few months. After the first couple of test drives I was convinced that I wanted an MS 100D so my family of 4 (average size height / weight, 2 kids ages 13 and 10) had more room for longer road trips. However, as I have been hunting for the right MS I have gotten more and more anxious about big changes such as interior and exterior refresh to the MS coming sometime in the near future (next few years). The M3 is already updated with the latest design elements, hardware and batteries so it seems like a safer bet to keep for a few years whilst staying closer to the latest and greatest. I am a tech geek, so having the latest and greatest tech is really important to me.

So now I am considering saving a bunch of money and getting a really nice M3P instead of a 100D. I know the cargo space is a lot less in the M3, but for the few times a year we would go on a multi-hour road trip I can get a Thule cargo carrier which solves that problem. So my main worry now is size and comfort of the interior for us humans and that everyone will be comfortable on multi-hour road trips.

Would love to hear from anyone that has an M3 and a family (especially if you also own(ed) an MS) if the M3 isn't big enough to enjoy it comfortably.

I just went from a MS to an M3, family of 4 here. 3yr old and 1yr old. Love my M3 but couldn’t spend the $$ for a 100D lol. If money wasn’t an object I would get the 100D! I sold my S to get newest AP, bigger battery and faster charging. You could get all those things in a new 100D. Cargo space in the 3 is good but nowhere near as good as the S. Personally I wouldn’t worry about an update coming because no one really knows when that will happen. This year? Next year? 2022?