Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S holdouts out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love blanket statements :)
BMW X1 as tested: ~60k $
What a lovely quality! Hear the sound of German engineering!
Only Model X FWD can compete!
Too cheap?
E class is a 50k car. I was talking about 100k cars. Why did you not compare with a 100k car like S class? You know tesla cant compete right?
I personally test drove several cars. Tesla's interiors are just too bad.

If tesla has the same build quality and interior features / design as 911, I would be happy. The thing is Model S interior does not feel like a 100k car.
Also, you get better 0-60 with 911 compared to base Boxter. But the entry level 0-60 for Model 3 and Model S is the same!
There is nothing worth paying twice the price for a Model S. Yes its bigger and has more screens and some additional features, but not worth twice the price.
Elon knows this and he is anti-selling Model 3. Either Model S should improve or price should reduce else its sales will be cannibalized by Model 3.

Nope, M3 base is RWD 5.6s (reportedly) and 75 is a 5.2. Motor Trend rates a S60 as having a 5.0s 0-60mph time. Tesla Model S 60/75: 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year Finalist - Motor Trend

75 is 5.5 sec. 75D is 5.2.

Did you even read the article? I even linked to it. What you cite is the paper stats. Welcome to reality where MT tested the cars. Tesla is the only car company that like HP with printer hardware, purposely makes their lower end models seem worse to make their higher end ones seem, comparatively, better. I think a lot of your opinions about EVs and your obssession with comparing the S to MBs are similarly based on beliefs that haven't properly been vetted. A test drive can only tell you so much about the expansive lifestyle changes with EV vs. ICE.

I've had the pleasure of owning an EV for 4 years now and you couldn't pay me to deal with ICE. BTW, I didn't click "disagree" on your posts where you stated your opinion but you feel like you've gotta do that to mine? You should rethink that.

• Love
Reactions: Swift and callmesam
Did you even read the article? I even linked to it. What you cite is the paper stats. Welcome to reality where MT tested the cars. Tesla is the only car company that like HP with printer hardware, purposely makes their lower end models seem worse to make their higher end ones seem, comparatively, better. I think a lot of your opinions about EVs and your obssession with comparing the S to MBs are similarly based on beliefs that haven't properly been vetted. A test drive can only tell you so much about the expansive lifestyle changes with EV vs. ICE.

I've had the pleasure of owning an EV for 4 years now and you couldn't pay me to deal with ICE. BTW, I didn't click "disagree" on your posts where you stated your opinion but you feel like you've gotta do that to mine? You should rethink that.
You are quoting 0-60 times for Model S from MT but quoting from tesla for Model 3. How can that be compared? Tesla should have tested all cars under similar conditions. So compare from a single source. According to tesla base Model 3 only 0.1 sec slower than base Model S.

In order to differentiate, I think hopefully tesla makes Model S better rather than making Model 3 worse.

I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

That was me for a number of years. Kept watching the Model S get "better" - better tech, more range, etc. I kept justifying holding off on my purchase waiting for the next big thing to come out. Finally, I bit the bullet (the original removal of free supercharging was enough to nudge me) and of course, the S 100D comes out about 10 days after I picked up my car - and then free supercharging comes back anyway.

You know what, the last five months have been wonderful with my "outdated" S 90D and I look forward to driving that car every single day (except the days when I take out the Roadster ;)). My only regret? That I didn't buy it earlier. With Tesla, it's almost impossible to have the latest and greatest - at least for any appreciable amount of time - but I look at that as a good thing. The company will keep innovating and getting better.

At this point, maybe it's worth waiting a month until the next reveal - but if nothing changes, you're really missing out on the experience - it's well worth it, even if the innovations keep coming.

The waiting game has no end.
People want to wait until the next rumored thing comes out, then they want to wait to see the reports from people that actually own vehicles with that feature to see if it is "worth it". By then, there is another rumor, and the waiting begins all over.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. You can only buy the configuration that you agree to when you "pull the trigger".
Sometimes you get an unexpected bonus improvement that comes along in production before you take delivery.

Customers do not really have much control over this process, as Tesla releases the improvements on a daily basis, and some of these improvements are never released to the general public. Mostly the forums are filled with details on new cosmetic and driver features after they are announced. These are the most apparent ones.

Sometimes improvements are not apparent until some owner hacks the software, tears down a battery, or learns some insider info.

Just order the car when you want the car : >)

That is not my opinion or experience. EVs are still not good enough for me.

Seeing as how Consumer Reports rated the Model S the highest car they have ever tested (more than once), you must have very high standards. ;)

All kidding aside, I see that you offer an awful lot of opinion as if they were fact. I also note that you have never actually owned a Tesla. It must be nice to be able to derive so much information from a couple of test drives. I find that to truly appreciate a Tesla (like most things in life), it usually takes more than just a "test drive". Of course, I could be wrong.

That being said, if a "$100,000" Model S is "not good enough for you", I am truly puzzled as to how you think the Model 3 that you allegedly have reserved will somehow suffice? From all that I have read, the model 3 will be a stripped down, smaller version of the Model S. How exactly is that going to be good enough for your high standards?

Lastly, I am truly puzzled by your statement, "you know Tesla can't compete, right"? Judging by all available standards, they seem to be doing just fine. Although I do not own any shares of their company, I certainly wish that I did. In just a few short years, they now have a larger market cap than virtually every single other car company in the world. It seems to me that every other car company is struggling to release a product that will compete with their product rather than the other way around. Perhaps your definition of "compete" means something else?

I assume that you what you meant to say is, "just wait until all these other amazing car companies release all of their EV's. They will all be so much better than Tesla, that Tesla will go bankrupt." Is that what you meant to say? If so, I have a great idea. Let's wait until they release their cars and technology and then see what happens. Until then, we really have no idea, do we?

As always, thank you for your opinions. Please do not confuse them with fact.

Be safe.

Seeing as how Consumer Reports rated the Model S the highest car they have ever tested (more than once), you must have very high standards. ;)

All kidding aside, I see that you offer an awful lot of opinion as if they were fact. I also note that you have never actually owned a Tesla. It must be nice to be able to derive so much information from a couple of test drives. I find that to truly appreciate a Tesla (like most things in life), it usually takes more than just a "test drive". Of course, I could be wrong.

That being said, if a "$100,000" Model S is "not good enough for you", I am truly puzzled as to how you think the Model 3 that you allegedly have reserved will somehow suffice? From all that I have read, the model 3 will be a stripped down, smaller version of the Model S. How exactly is that going to be good enough for your high standards?

Lastly, I am truly puzzled by your statement, "you know Tesla can't compete, right"? Judging by all available standards, they seem to be doing just fine. Although I do not own any shares of their company, I certainly wish that I did. In just a few short years, they now have a larger market cap than virtually every single other car company in the world. It seems to me that every other car company is struggling to release a product that will compete with their product rather than the other way around. Perhaps your definition of "compete" means something else?

I assume that you what you meant to say is, "just wait until all these other amazing car companies release all of their EV's. They will all be so much better than Tesla, that Tesla will go bankrupt." Is that what you meant to say? If so, I have a great idea. Let's wait until they release their cars and technology and then see what happens. Until then, we really have no idea, do we?

As always, thank you for your opinions. Please do not confuse them with fact.

Be safe.
You are just saying things I haven't said. I said tesla's interior is not as good as the competition. You are imagining everything else.

Because I think I'm one of them and I get the sense there are others. I've test driven the MS twice now, love it, want it, and am so close to ordering. However I can't help but think that with the model 3 release coming up soon, they're going to have to (my opinion here) announce something about the model S as well. I'm not saying anything drastic but maybe at least some interior upgrades or changes. I've read where some current new owners are recommending to hold back and take a wait-and-see approach with the MS launch. I'd be interested to see how many of us are sitting on the fence before we consider buying.

Well done for having the grown-up ability to delay gratification.

The additional benefit of waiting longer is that you'll be saving money. Either you'll owe less on the car or you'll have more money to spend on other enjoyable stuff. There should be plenty of things on which you can spend money.

But, as others posted, while you wait you're driving a car you don't like as much. So, just ask yourself: what is it that you're waiting for that is important to you? How long are you prepared to wait for it?

Look at the new 2017 Panemara. That should give anyone hints as to what Tesla need to do to its interior :)
The 993 (911) I sold to pay for most of my S has been appreciating like crazy for several years. I don't understand why. It doesn't even have cup holders.

We all value different aspects of our cars. I like the minimalist, clean interior of the S. Those people who believe that the S isn't worth the upcharge vs the 3 because its interior isn't nice enough simply represents one point of view. Obviously Tesla doesn't support that point of view and neither do I. Those who disagree are welcome to buy a Panamera. I wonder when Panameras will start appreciating given that great interior. Obviously they should be more popular than the plain Jane interior 993s.

Tech wise...this interior is stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 75
Thank you to all for your replies and entertainment along the way. When I buy it will be a new MS 100 D...and I shouldn't say buy as I'll likely lease. All of you have excellent points. But I think if I've waited this long I'll wait a little longer for the M3 launch and see what happens. In the mean time I'll work on getting an electrician out to my garage to install the wall connector etc.

So now my wife really likes the white interior...we have two girls ages 8 & 3 ... are we crazy?

Reactions: cdub
I'm holding out for a refresh of the interior before I pull the trigger on upgrading from my current MS. I have a day 1 deposit on the 3, but am leaning more towards sticking with the MS. Elon's anti-selling worked on me.
Yes I imagine Elon would love to convert many of those model 3 reservation holders over to an S...so I'm anticipating he's going to entice them with something. But I could be wrong...hope not.