Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S or X received the Holiday update yet? What about external speakers on s/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the Model 3 safer than the Model S?
The Model 3 is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ for 2020 and received objectively batter scores than the last Model S that was tested in 2017.

That said, the biggest differentiator is not in structural safety (though the Model 3 scored better there too), but in headlights - the S headlights are rightfully rated as “poor” because they are indeed crap.

While disappointing, its not surprising that the 3 and Y are getting more new tech - they were more specifically designed that way. The S and X were the first to come out, as a premium vehicle platform to entice folks with larger wallets into EVs. Now Tesla is more established, and is seeking a larger audience, incorporated a more advanced interface for the 3 and Y. Nothing unusual for the auto industry.
A new Honda Civic has better tech than a 5-year-old Accord, even though the Accord is a premium platform relative to the Civic. The difference, for me, is that I can add most of that tech to my 5-year-old Tesla S without having to buy another to do it.

The Mercedes will likely have superior materials, and better fit and finish, but they've practiced for over 100 years. As to the range of the EQS, no announced vehicle has meet the ratings the manufacturer hypes, whether Mercedes, GM, Ford, Polestar, etc...so I wouldn't hold your breath...and that doesn't take into account the battery range improvements Tesla incorporates on a constant basis, which will probably be the same or greater than the EQS's range by the time it is actually released.

A big advantage over Mercedes, IMO, is Tesla has been 100% vested in electric vehicles, battery design, and materials design (i.e., SpaceX) for over a decade now, where Mercedes and other legacy auto companies are only recently involved with larger production of EVs due to regulatory pressure and unavoidable shifts in the industry (propelled by companies like Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc.). Virtually every legacy EV announced has been plagued by software issues prior (and so far, after) release - something better craftsmanship won't fix. I'd rather be driving my Tesla than be towed in my EQS....but we'll have to see how that turns out...

Very well thought of response, however, I disagree with the 5yr old Accord having less tech than the current Civic analogy because in case of Model S even a 2021 variant will look archaic compared to the refreshed 2021 S. I have 2020 Model S that I picked in October and even that will look obsolete and will significantly drop its value as soon as a refreshed one is announced.

Yes, Tesla does things a bit differently than legacy automakers but it's definitely frustrating for Tesla users who are paying at least 30k more for a performance variant of 2020 and 2021 S/X because Tesla is busy catering to 3/Y users. I get it that it's the majority crowd but let's not kid ourselves here. S/X users paid more for their cras and deserve attention too. Musk even went out of his way to give 5k refunds for Model 3 performance package back in 2018 and he did that when the company was struggling.

A fair practice by Tesla should be to offer installation of new mcu and ic if they introduce it so several other S/X users who just got their cars don't feel left out. Heck, even if Tesla charges for it we'll still get it. I sound too entitled here but f**k it

How is the Model 3 safer than the Model S?

I think it started with this blog post, Model 3 achieves the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA, Elon has also Tweeted statements to this effect. The claim has been debated, perhaps not true, however, it was engineered with lessons learned from the S in mind. I figured it best to be generous with model 3 benefits anyway since young people think a horizontal screen is the second coming of Jeebus, and therefore a superior vehicle in every way. I had a 3, and I didn't care to watch Netflix in the car very often, so I'd rather have a screen that is useful while driving. I suppose my gripes with the 3/Y screen usability outside of video consumption could be addressed via UI changes though...

The Model 3 is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ for 2020 and received objectively batter scores than the last Model S that was tested in 2017.

That said, the biggest differentiator is not in structural safety (though the Model 3 scored better there too), but in headlights - the S headlights are rightfully rated as “poor” because they are indeed crap.
You are correct about the Model S headlights as they were adjusted at the factory. 3 clicks up adjustment each side and they go from crap to some of the best headlights on the road. I have both a Model 3 and a Model S so I can compare them.

Reactions: Duffer and drklain
I got the update on my S yesterday. I feel indifferent about the supercharger display improvements. The IC display visualization looks more detailed. The resolution of the car model seems better. We can now see the MCU in the model. The font for the speed seems to have been changed slightly. Overall, I like the minor update for the visualization on the IC dsplay. The update/release notes improvement is good: much more organized and clearer.

View attachment 622004

View attachment 622005
I received the first half of the "Holiday Update" on the 27th. Though I am still getting used to the location change of the gear selected icon, I like the overall improved detail in the IC visualization. Yes, the font is smaller but it is in sharper focus. It is my understanding that they are expanding the viewable center section of the IC to accommodate the increased FSD visuals.

The updated release note format is, honestly, a long time in coming.

Having the number of SC stalls available at a glance is useful when determining which SC to go to if there are several close by. YMMV

Received the 2nd half last night. I have not been in the car since it installed. I believe the release notes are the same.

You are correct about the Model S headlights as they were adjusted at the factory. 3 clicks up adjustment each side and they go from crap to some of the best headlights on the road. I have both a Model 3 and a Model S so I can compare them.
^^This^^ I had Tesla adjust the headlights on our 2017 MS shortly after taking delivery.