Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory is that Tesla is intentionally holding back power until 30-40 mph, then unleashing all the power (more power than the 85/90D) from then on. That would explain the slow (if you can call it that) elapse time while having a fast terminal speed. Also, non-P cars don't have launch mode (that I know of), so you're probably losing 1/2 a second right there.

We don't know what kind of change the new DU00 drive unit is doing. It could be more efficient, thereby creating more acceleration with the same or slightly more power (kW).

@cyphear, if you want to keep your 75D order, I would suggest you DON'T test drive a 100D then. This poor choice on my part is why my plan changed from buying a 75D to a 100D (and spending a lot more $$$). I'm actually kinda grateful the P100D is priced a crazy amount more than even the 100D is. Otherwise...
Tesla is definitely doing this, the acceleration curve really feels artificial. Compared to my 85D, I feel as if they're doing the opposite with the acceleration curve; in the 85D, the launch spooled up quick and launched with significant power, but then around 40mph, power would begin to level off and there was much less available acceleration. In the 100D, they're limiting the launch and unleashing gobs of power up until nearly 70.

Hey guys. So I have a 75D on order, however, all this uncorking talk has me thinking about getting an inventory 100D. I just want to make sure I get one with the new drive unit. Is there an easy way to see if one has this off of TESLAS inventory page? Also, for me 20K is not worth just the upgraded range. In fact even if it got uncorked I would still be hesitant as this is already an expensive vehicle for me. However, I noticed when the inventory vehicles were booming which I heard is supposed to happen again the 19th and 20th of November I remember seeing discounts of 15K+ on 100Ds. Now we are talking about 5K for longer range, and potential power increase. Seems like a no brainer. 75D inventories have always been marked down much less as if it were equal I would look for a inventory 75D. Big decisions to make in the next coupe of weeks. Especially given I already have a custom order made on a 75D. However, sales rep said I can switch to an inventory and transfer over my 2.5K reserve payment. Decisions, decisions...

Hey guys. So I have a 75D on order, however, all this uncorking talk has me thinking about getting an inventory 100D. I just want to make sure I get one with the new drive unit. Is there an easy way to see if one has this off of TESLAS inventory page? Also, for me 20K is not worth just the upgraded range. In fact even if it got uncorked I would still be hesitant as this is already an expensive vehicle for me. However, I noticed when the inventory vehicles were booming which I heard is supposed to happen again the 19th and 20th of November I remember seeing discounts of 15K+ on 100Ds. Now we are talking about 5K for longer range, and potential power increase. Seems like a no brainer. 75D inventories have always been marked down much less as if it were equal I would look for a inventory 75D. Big decisions to make in the next coupe of weeks. Especially given I already have a custom order made on a 75D. However, sales rep said I can switch to an inventory and transfer over my 2.5K reserve payment. Decisions, decisions...

I love my 75D but this is what I would buy today, not for the battery range but for the performance possibilities of the 100 battery:
Inventory | Tesla

Try EV-CPO and other sites where you can specifiy DU00.

Last edited:
Yup. I will give it about two more weeks. Hopefully I can catch one with a few more of the options I want, discounted, and feel good having the 100D battery. Im hoping to get closer to a 15K markdown which I feel is possible. However, lately the inventory has been dead. Like I said before I heard the 19th and 20th are days Tesla is supposed to unload many inventory cars. We shall see. This is what my Tesla rep told me... Also he assured me if I were to catch an inventory one by those dates I would still be okay for the credit before the end of the year.

Hopefully I can catch one with a few more of the options I want, discounted, and feel good having the 100D battery. Im hoping to get closer to a 15K markdown which I feel is possible.
You are never going to find a 100D with a 15k discount. The big discounts one hears about are discounts on a P100D (or discontinued 90D), and those discounts are based upon the original price (before recent price reductions), not the current price.

Take, for example, this one Inventory | Tesla, listed on EV-CPO as having a $12,100 discount. A new custom order for such a vehicle is $108,300 (which also includes premium audio, unlike the featured vehicle), which really means it is only a $7,900 discount from a more fully-optioned current model.

Or take, for example, this second one Inventory | Tesla, listed on EV-CPO as having a $9,300 discount. A new custom order for such a vehicle is $97,500, which means the featured vehicle costs $400 more than a new custom order for the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
You are never going to find a 100D with a 15k discount. The big discounts one hears about are discounts on a P100D (or discontinued 90D), and those discounts are based upon the original price (before recent price reductions), not the current price.

Take, for example, this one Inventory | Tesla, listed on EV-CPO as having a $12,100 discount. A new custom order for such a vehicle is $108,300 (which also includes premium audio, unlike the featured vehicle), which really means it is only a $7,900 discount from a more fully-optioned current model.

Or take, for example, this second one Inventory | Tesla, listed on EV-CPO as having a $9,300 discount. A new custom order for such a vehicle is $97,500, which means the featured vehicle costs $400 more than a new custom order for the same thing.

Oh wow, did not even realize this was the case. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I'll still be on the lookout, but yes If I can't get at least a 10K actual discount I will probably just stick to my custom order 75D.

To be honest, I've ordered the 75D as family car, the 100D I've had this weekend was a bit too much.

With the 75D we're talking Ferrari F430 performance (at least until 100mph) in a 4 door saloon. What more do we want? Of course I understand that fast is better. But paying almost 30k premium, I don't know.

If you need the extra miles, you'll have to do it. But just the performance, when you're already faster than anyone on the road? Mwah.

And this comes from a guy who has a company car and only has to pay $50,- a month for an upgrade to a 100D ;)

They waved the delivery fee for me (something about Florida and Irma, but I've heard it's done all the time). Also, the price shown includes destination fees, so that's $1,200 you don't pay. The "price adjustments" vary depending on how many miles are on it. Typically for 100Ds, anything with 50 miles on it has a $3k adjustment (at least the last few months). If you have to pay the delivery fee, then you're only saving $1k vs. a custom build, but at least you get it faster. If it has miles, and is usually older (i.e. like 3 months old). then you'll get a bigger price adjustment (as you should).

Also, the URL in the order status page has all your option codes.

It also seems with inventory cars there is always a 2k destination fee to get to my nearest Tesla location. I guess getting a good deal with inventory is not as great as I expected...

I just changed my 75D to an inventory 100D a few minutes ago (500 miles, 4500 actual discount), based a lot on this thread. The range also seems really important in the midwest winters. Financially, it doesn't make sense, but my wife would kill me if I had to drive 55mph in a 70mph because it was 5 degrees Fahrenheit, and there was a headwind. I'm picking it up to avoid the $1,000 delivery fee ($1,000 means one region away). View the source of the page and you can see the car's location. Also look for "DU00" in the source to see if it has the new drive unit.

I agree with you, the advertised discount is a little false. Mine said $12300 discount but the actual discount came out to be $8800. Im still happy with it and that discount helped drop the lease payment alot. They have a pretty good lease incentive going on right now for the 100D

So the way I see it rbtower2 is that I can pay an additional 11.7K (Difference between 100d and 75d is 19.5K) and get a 100D inventory over a 75D custom order. However, I could also get the 75D inventory for a bit lower (probably not as low as the 100D) so I would say it is closer to 14-15K extra to get a 100D versus 75D for better range and future/ immediate as people are mentioning in this thread power. 15K is a lot!

Also, the URL in the order status page has all your option codes.

I just changed my 75D to an inventory 100D a few minutes ago (500 miles, 4500 actual discount), based a lot on this thread. The range also seems really important in the midwest winters. Financially, it doesn't make sense, but my wife would kill me if I had to drive 55mph in a 70mph because it was 5 degrees Fahrenheit, and there was a headwind. I'm picking it up to avoid the $1,000 delivery fee ($1,000 means one region away). View the source of the page and you can see the car's location. Also look for "DU00" in the source to see if it has the new drive unit.
I will say, the additional range coming from an 85D really is a game changer. I haven't once had to worry about charge, and I have put over 5k miles on it in less than 2 months. Glad this thread helped you make a decision.

Reactions: GaryW
So the way I see it rbtower2 is that I can pay an additional 11.7K (Difference between 100d and 75d is 19.5K) and get a 100D inventory over a 75D custom order. However, I could also get the 75D inventory for a bit lower (probably not as low as the 100D) so I would say it is closer to 14-15K extra to get a 100D versus 75D for better range and future/ immediate as people are mentioning in this thread power. 15K is a lot!
Yeah exactly! Honestly for me it was the range. This being my first electric car and my girlfriend freaking out about running out of electricity i decided for peace of mind i would get the bigger battery pack. As well like you said there is a bigger discount on the 100D so the difference between lease payments on my inventory 100D vs a custom build 75D wasnt a crazy amount and I decided to go for it.

Reactions: GaryW
@rbtower2 How do you get that view using the VIN? I just ordered a Model S 100D

If you pay $8 on ev-cpo for a month they let you click on the gear icon next to the car and all that info pops up about that specific car. It even works on previously sold cars. I can still find mine and look up the info. =) if you give me your vin i can look it up for you

You can also sign up for a free two-week trial. @overlappedio -- if you ordered a Inventory or CPO car and want to send me your VIN, I can see if it was captured by EV-CPO and send you the option code display.

Hey can anyone confirm that all I have to do is look up the source code when I am on the official page? I then just view source code and type in finder DU00? It seems all the inventory 100D I have checked seem to have the DU00.

FWIW, I made a mistake on the details here. I forgot to include AP in the price of a new configuration, which would make it $102,500, results in an actual discount of $4,600. Sorry for any confusion.

That's faster than a P90DL (118mph), and almost as fast as a P100D (122mph). Something is up with your numbers. Were you measuring yourself and going downhill? Any ideas what else it could be? I see from your logs that it's putting down good power, so I'm not doubting it's fast, but it shouldn't be that fast. If it is trapping that, it should be in the low 11's.
I think you're right, and it's just some software and not a true trap speed, it's a speed at 1320 feet.