Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any News on 9.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, the comment said:
I can confirm that I got the 17.24.30 update on my AP1 model S and it does indeed come with a new kernel.

Previous kernel : "Linux cid 2.6.36.3-pdk25.023-Tesla-20140430 #see_/etc/commit SMP PREEMPT 1202798460 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux"

New kernel : "Linux cid 4.4.35-release-03mar2017-84029-g4ddb263-dirty #see_/etc/commit SMP PREEMPT 1202798460 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux"

"CID"

For previous major releases, Tesla (Musk) usually gets pretty quiet before the announcement of the new release - and the pace of software update distributed slows - which seems to be happening now.

For the sake of S & X owners, we'll want the S/X software to be on the same release cycle as the higher volume Model 3 (and future Y). It's likely that the 3 software has been running on a separate track - and it may take a major release (9.0?) to produce an integrated S/3/X software version - so that all 3 models will get new releases at the same time.

Even if 9.0 isn't released soon - it does feel like we should hear something soon from Tesla about the next major release.

I dunno if he’s been told to stay quiet or if he just has nothing to announce right now....

I am more than certain the powers that be (maybe even Elon himself) are purposefully staying quiet after some of the complete "untruths" (Kool-Aid drinkers rejoice I didn't say LIE) he was so frequently spouting about in the past. Some of the "statements" he has made in the past weren't ready to announce or true so I am pretty sure it IS "he just has nothing to announce right now"

Reactions: croman
We seem to go through a period of relative quiet each time preceding a major Tesla announcement - and because they typically make a major announcement around this time each year, it wouldn't be surprising to see a major announcement on S/3/X hardware plus the next major software release (9.0).

At least so far, Tesla (Musk) hasn't been able to stop from talking about future product (mostly software) changes - that may or may not happen on timelines that tend to be overly optimistic.

So unless Tesla has decided to become more disciplined in their messaging, based on the past, this period of quiet is only temporary, and in a few months we'll be back to normal...

Elon can't and won't announce hardware changes in advance. That will make everyone put off their order until it is released.

I just hope there won't be any CPU change to the main screen soon, as my car will probably be produced by October. :eek: