Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with the MCU upgrade gone in for the radio upgrade as well yet?

The loss of radio is what has put me off the MCU upgrade for the time being (and to a lesser extent the reported impact on the reversing camera, although it looks like that one might be fixed via software?)

Interested to know what your thoughts are; is the radio just the same as it was pre-upgrade (DAB/AM/FM) or has it changed at all?

Also, what the cost finished up as?

Hi Henry.

I’ve recently had the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades done to my 2016 Model X. The work was completed by Tesla Leeds. I also paid for the radio upgrade. Total cost was £2,810 - the radio tuner being £470.

Personally I’m happy with the radio. I have a full range of DAB stations unlike my original system. Overall with the MCU upgrade it feels like my model 3 in terms of speed of response and interactivity.

The only thing I’m not happy with is that I still can’t execute lane changes by using the indicator like I can in my model 3. Does anyone else have this issue who have had the HW3 upgrade carried out or is it unique to me?

The only thing I’m not happy with is that I still can’t execute lane changes by using the indicator like I can in my model 3. Does anyone else have this issue who have had the HW3 upgrade carried out or is it unique to me?

Has the Model X got FSD option rather than just HW3/FSD computer? Limited domain for auto lane change but if you are on NoA (it will do auto lane change in limited other scenarios but at least you can be sure on NoA) and it doesn't auto lane change after confirming and ensuring its detected your hands holding the wheel correctly, then something amiss.

Last edited:
Hi Henry.

I’ve recently had the MCU2 and HW3 upgrades done to my 2016 Model X. The work was completed by Tesla Leeds. I also paid for the radio upgrade. Total cost was £2,810 - the radio tuner being £470.

Personally I’m happy with the radio. I have a full range of DAB stations unlike my original system. Overall with the MCU upgrade it feels like my model 3 in terms of speed of response and interactivity.

Thanks v much Rich - sounds encouraging and pleased it went well for you.

Have you noticed any change in the reversing camera image - others have said its become almost unusable in the dark?

Has the Model X got FSD option rather than just HW3/FSD computer? Limited domain for auto lane change but if you are on NoA (it will do auto lane change in limited other scenarios but at least you can be sure on NoA) and it doesn't auto lane change after confirming and ensuring its detected your hands holding the wheel correctly, then something amiss.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have FSD. In truth I never use NoA. I tend to just use FSD when on the motorway. I will however give it a go on NoA as you suggest just to prove whether it works or not. Cheers.

Hi. I had opportunity to try NoA this afternoon and auto lane change worked fine. It doesn’t work when just on FSD unlike my model 3 but I at least know it can work on my Model X.

Reactions: MrBadger
Hi. I had opportunity to try NoA this afternoon and auto lane change worked fine. It doesn’t work when just on FSD unlike my model 3 but I at least know it can work on my Model X.

Its good that auto lance change does work.

I find the places where auto lane change can be used when not on NoA is very hit and miss. I would go as far to say that they have even changed between different releases - to the point that I assume that if NoA is not available, then its highly likely that auto lane change will not be either. This avoids the potential embarrassment of indicating then not subsequently changing lanes. Its not helped by auto lane change requiring hands on wheel confirmation and its not always obvious when its not detecting this or simply auto lane change is not available.