Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who's had MCU done how long did it take?

Tesla cancelled my mobile service appointment for AP3 retrofit so I've now rebooked at SC, but asked for MCU2 as well as I cannot be bothered to arrange another SC visit later this year.

Its a half day job or overnight?

Tesla cancelled my mobile service appointment for AP3 retrofit so I've now rebooked at SC, but asked for MCU2 as well as I cannot be bothered to arrange another SC visit later this year.

Took 3 days for me, but they didn't touch the car until the 2nd day likely because they were busy and since they gave me a loaner I guess there was no rush. by the time they finished I wasn't able to pick it up until the third day. It's defo a half day job but depends how lucky you are with timing

2h45, but it's broken - I get a clonk *every* 3s which it was doing on collection and I was told "as soon as the camera alignment is complete that will stop". Alignment took ~10 mins. The car sleeps for an hour, wakes for 15 mins and repeats, prior to this it slept for 48 hours.
Tesla has very generously allocated me a slot to look at it after just under 3 weeks. It should have said "we're sorry, just bring it round and we'll fix it".

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
I appear to have reached a dead end on the eMMC upgrade I had booked in for 1st Oct. Tesla won't do it.

I wanted to change the eMMC as my screen has started its decline and has become unreliable but not yet failed completely so I was expecting the '£314 all in' option Tesla Owners Group mention as having been agreed. I also enquired as to the cost to upgrade from 3G to LTE. The estimate subsequently provided didn't seem to reflect any of this properly and didn't even mention the eMMC.

I had a call from Tesla prior to the booking to discuss the options and they seemed to be pushing hard either the MCU2 upgrade at £2400 or new (reconditioned) MCU1 at about £1000. The eMMC swap was mentioned but the point was made that they wanted to do certain tests first to check it was needed and expected me to pay for the costs of those tests. They didn't seem to accept that I simply wanted the eMMC upgrade and was ready to pay for it. They agreed to provide a revised estimate confirming the numbers discussed but never did.

I had a second call a few days later and again the 'new screen' options were heavily promoted as the best thing to do and they seemed to be implying that they were not keen to simply swap the eMMC without the screen having failed, or that they could justify swapping it as a result of tests (at my cost). I pushed the fact that I simply wanted the new eMMC at the agreed cost and was happy to accept the fact it may actually not be needed at this particular point and wanted confirmation we could proceed on that basis.

The agent said there was a probability that if my current eMMC was still serviceable (as in, its not failed yet,) they won't change it. Apparently, this is because the part is in such short supply ('because we are changing so many...') they had to prioritise cars with failed MCUs. Apparently I can try again in a few months, or sit on my hands till it fails, whichever happens first. "...but if you want to go for the new screen option we can do that right away".

Helpfully, he went on to suggest that if I was keen to get the eMMC upgrade done quickly, I could use a 3rd party to get it done, but 'obviously it will be dearer than Tesla doing it and won't be guaranteed'.

In other news, I have submitted my vehicle safety defect report to The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency. See here for anyone interested;

Vehicle recalls and faults

It’s not clear from the thread if tuner upgrade is available yet or not. Anybody know and, if yes, for how much? I’m booked in for MCU2 and HW3 upgrade Tuesday.
I am booked for MCU2 and HW3 upgrade next week. On the phone today, Heathrow SC (v. helpful) said the digital tuner is not available at present but they are expecting documentation about it on Oct 19 and expect it the parts to be available a little time after that but not sure when.

Reactions: Sean.
I am booked for MCU2 and HW3 upgrade next week. On the phone today, Heathrow SC (v. helpful) said the digital tuner is not available at present but they are expecting documentation about it on Oct 19 and expect it the parts to be available a little time after that but not sure when.
That’s what they told me on my last visit. I have a diary note to call them Monday week to see what the news is on the tuner...

Are UK owners seeing the sleep issue on their cars post MCU2 problem??

Mine is booked in for AP3 and MCU2 work end of the month, I hardly drive the car these days but thought why not get MCU2 done, but having second thoughts now. Don't want to end up with another issue waiting on Tesla to sort out :(.

Still here 1 year warranty left so if MCU1 was to fail it wouldn't be an issue paying out of pocket just yet.

Are UK owners seeing the sleep issue on their cars post MCU2 problem??

Mine is booked in for AP3 and MCU2 work end of the month, I hardly drive the car these days but thought why not get MCU2 done, but having second thoughts now. Don't want to end up with another issue waiting on Tesla to sort out :(.

Still here 1 year warranty left so if MCU1 was to fail it wouldn't be an issue paying out of pocket just yet.

Yes, used to sleep for 48 hrs, now sleeps for an hours, wakes for 17m repeat 3-4 times then wake for 2 hrs.
Went from 0.03mph loss to 0.25mph loss.

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
Yes, used to sleep for 48 hrs, now sleeps for an hours, wakes for 17m repeat 3-4 times then wake for 2 hrs.
Went from 0.03mph loss to 0.25mph loss.

I hardly every drive the car during the week these days, currently its been sitting in the garage since Sunday afternoon and wouldn't be driven till Saturday for about 4 miles. Really don't want to end up with a car that than refuses to go to sleep, eating electrons and wearing our the new MCU by not going to sleep.

I also see the US owners have had this issue for a while now, and Tesla don't appear to be fixing it. Might cancel the upgrade :(.

Reactions: goRt
For all of you that have cars not falling asleep: try to disconnect your OBD2 connection and change your master password so that all tokens expire for 3rd party apps. Then, leave your car overnight without using the sentry (and not using the Tesla app). Let us know what your overnight drain was after this. I think many users may see drain because of 3rd party apps walking up the car.

When I changed my master password on my model S, I saw a huge difference and my overnight drain is a single percent on average.

And yes, I have done the upgrade to MCU2.

Let us know how it goes!

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom and nikhon
For all of you that have cars not falling asleep: try to disconnect your OBD2 connection and change your master password so that all tokens expire for 3rd party apps. Then, leave your car overnight without using the sentry (and not using the Tesla app). Let us know what your overnight drain was after this. I think many users may see drain because of 3rd party apps walking up the car.

When I changed my master password on my model S, I saw a huge difference and my overnight drain is a single percent on average.

And yes, I have done the upgrade to MCU2.

Let us know how it goes!

Before MCU2 my car slept for 48 hours, now it's 1 hour, wake for 17 mins repeat 3-4 times then wake for 2 hours.
Nothing else changed.

My MCU2 upgrade has been done, and happy to say its goes to sleep just as before :)

Car was locked at 4pm yesterday.

50549334043_f93f3b16e0_c.jpg

When I checked this AM at 8 the App reported the car was 'Asleep'

50549334053_bc56d4aece_c.jpg

Confirmed by the fact the car reported the same SOC at 8am versus 4pm last night. Will monitor tonight as well, but I notice on my App the car 100% does go to sleep if left alone, I don't have any third party app querying the car but I do have an OBD port adaptor plugged int, but only used on odd occasions.

50549336768_30a4b47cd6_c.jpg

Reactions: nikhon