Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car dealers will stay open regardless I suspect. I had to service appointment in April in the middle of the first lock down - drivers door was not opening from the outside, so was kind of urgent issue.
Hah, yeah ad the same thing. Those useless feckers at Park Royal made me wait needlessly for 6 weeks to fix that. Ask down the road at Heathrow, sorted in a day. Tesla “service” quality is quite appalling

My car doesn't seem to be suffering from too much vampire drain post upgrade.

Car stopped charging at 530am, charge limit set to 62%.

50560352951_4c1ceaca56_c_d.jpg

At 7pm still showing 62%, App reported the car was asleep at the time. Plugged in and connected to WiFi all day.

50559601778_7545d3894b_c_d.jpg

I can thankfully 100% confirm my 2017 85D X post AP3 and MCU2 upgrade has no sleep/vampire drain issues.

SOC is set at 62% with timed charging at 130am each day, car plugged in at home and unused for last 3 days. At 1am, so pretty much 24hrs since last charge the car reports 61% SOC, so 1% vampire drain in 24hrs, that's roughly the same as before.

I'll try leaving the car unplugged and unused for a few days next week and see what the figures look like.

50571572947_5280ca312d_c_d.jpg

Reactions: nikhon
I appear to have reached a dead end on the eMMC upgrade I had booked in for 1st Oct. Tesla won't do it.

I wanted to change the eMMC as my screen has started its decline and has become unreliable but not yet failed completely so I was expecting the '£314 all in' option Tesla Owners Group mention as having been agreed. I also enquired as to the cost to upgrade from 3G to LTE. The estimate subsequently provided didn't seem to reflect any of this properly and didn't even mention the eMMC.

I had a call from Tesla prior to the booking to discuss the options and they seemed to be pushing hard either the MCU2 upgrade at £2400 or new (reconditioned) MCU1 at about £1000. The eMMC swap was mentioned but the point was made that they wanted to do certain tests first to check it was needed and expected me to pay for the costs of those tests. They didn't seem to accept that I simply wanted the eMMC upgrade and was ready to pay for it. They agreed to provide a revised estimate confirming the numbers discussed but never did.

I had a second call a few days later and again the 'new screen' options were heavily promoted as the best thing to do and they seemed to be implying that they were not keen to simply swap the eMMC without the screen having failed, or that they could justify swapping it as a result of tests (at my cost). I pushed the fact that I simply wanted the new eMMC at the agreed cost and was happy to accept the fact it may actually not be needed at this particular point and wanted confirmation we could proceed on that basis.

The agent said there was a probability that if my current eMMC was still serviceable (as in, its not failed yet,) they won't change it. Apparently, this is because the part is in such short supply ('because we are changing so many...') they had to prioritise cars with failed MCUs. Apparently I can try again in a few months, or sit on my hands till it fails, whichever happens first. "...but if you want to go for the new screen option we can do that right away".

Helpfully, he went on to suggest that if I was keen to get the eMMC upgrade done quickly, I could use a 3rd party to get it done, but 'obviously it will be dearer than Tesla doing it and won't be guaranteed'.

In other news, I have submitted my vehicle safety defect report to The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency. See here for anyone interested;

Vehicle recalls and faults

Just as a follow up to the above - I have received a further email from DVSA confirming they are not following up with Tesla any further as the matter is now subject to the warranty extension.

"Further to my previous email.
DVSA has concluded the evidence is insufficient to support further action under the Code. However, I can confirm the manufacturer has now launched an extended warranty action applicable in the UK.
This action is implemented and managed by the manufacturer and for further information on this you should contact the manufacturer direct.
DVSA has now closed the case."

@HenryT I would still recommend the MCU2 upgrade regardless if you are keeping the car. Turned away at school drop off today due to COVID+ case in the bubble, managed to get 1hr of work done fire fighting whilst she went around smiling at everyone in the office, than off to the park but it was cold/windy so ended up with Netflix...

I didn't think I would use it, but twice in 10 days its been used in anger. Also 'waking up' from sleep is much much quicker in additional to all the other user interface improvements. I still see no issues with sleep, vampire drain is around 1% per 24hr so similar if not actually slight better than before.

50589005173_366757969a_c_d.jpg

Finally got my MCU2 and FSD upgrade completed at Heathrow today.

All settings lost, including the lifetime trip counter and seat profiles.

Cameras calibrated on the drive home, but I couldn’t enable cruise control as it reported an error someone like “radar impaired”. A power cycle fixed that.

Voice commands didn’t work for 20 minutes or so, but then worked much better than on my old MCU1.

Pleased with the UI speed and navigation calculation speed.

Rear camera is definitely darker. Increasing screen brightness might help - and that can be done by voice.

Instrument cluster also has a different quality - different backlight perhaps?

Instrument cluster also has a different quality - different backlight perhaps?
If you notice scratches or bubbles on the instrument cluster, check to see if they removed the plastic film screen protector. Many people have complained about scratches on the instrument cluster only to find the Service Center didn't remove the plastic from the screen.

Thanks for the suggestion, but number plate and location is unchanged.

Service request raised.

Without radar, you lose all TACC/Autosteer and even the FSD visualisations are gone!

I see the visuals for a minute or two of driving after a reboot, but then presumably the self-diagnostics complete and decide the radar is kaput and it switches everything off.

2 things: I got my 2015 S 85D MCU1 upgrade a bristol 2 days ago and its awesome. No complaints,
secondly, my pre-facelift car also had a radar issue once, and it turned out the glue holding the front numberplate on had weakened at the ends, and the resulting movement of the numberplate had actually blocked the radar :D. It seems the calibration of this is VERY finely balanced. I bought some super mega-glue to glue it down, which didnt work. Ended up sticking two screws in, which fixed it, and the radar issue, FWIW.

Has anyone with the MCU upgrade gone in for the radio upgrade as well yet?

The loss of radio is what has put me off the MCU upgrade for the time being (and to a lesser extent the reported impact on the reversing camera, although it looks like that one might be fixed via software?)

Interested to know what your thoughts are; is the radio just the same as it was pre-upgrade (DAB/AM/FM) or has it changed at all?

Also, what the cost finished up as?