Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on the federal loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Shouldn't there be signs of the loans by now? Wasn't there in March when Chu said he would make sure they would hurry with getting through the applications? I'd really like Tesla to start building prototypes and getting their factory up and running :)

Cobos

Shouldn't there be signs of the loans by now? Wasn't there in March when Chu said he would make sure they would hurry with getting through the applications? I'd really like Tesla to start building prototypes and getting their factory up and running :)

Cobos

I didn't hear of any other applicant announcing loan approval either so who know when it'll happen.

"Quick approval" from the government probably meant several months. The loan is key, obviously, but we can't hold our breath because it could be awhile. The DOE has got a lot of hoops to jump through before they can give out the loan money, even if they're trying to do it on an expedited basis.

I was at the LA Tesla dealership yesterday and asked them the status of the federal loan. The rep I talked to was intentionally vague about giving specific info. He did smile at me though and said "we expect some good news real soon." I suppose that is what one would expect from a Tesla rep but I do think he was genuinely expecting something soon.

I thought I'd give this one a little bumb.
Any more news on the loan, May came and went and we've still not heard anything.

Even though this a 1000pages application it can't take that long to go through it ?

Cobos

I thought I'd give this one a little bumb.
Any more news on the loan, May came and went and we've still not heard anything.

Even though this a 1000pages application it can't take that long to go through it ?

Cobos

I read somewhere (sorry, no link -- can't remember source) that all the loan applications were due at the end of this month for loans under the program, and they expected decisions in July.

I think/hope that because TM had its application in so early that they got "informal" approval for its loan from people at the DOE, but they need to wait for the application period to close and a reasonable amount of time to pass before beginning formal approvals. This would explain the super-confidence that Tesla (and Elon in particular) have shown in their belief that they loan is forthcoming.

I heard a month ago that today would be the X GM day. I would have posted but I did not know my new source was so reliable.

So if it has been know that today was the big shakeup day then maybe there has been a purposeful delay of the loan announcement news until after the dust settles.