Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one tried THE LAW Front license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed "the Law" bracket. Pretty easy but the wrench provided didnt work very well, the angles arent really good for tightening the bolts. I got out my trusted socket wrenches and used a flexible shaft for reaching into the grill and getting things tight. Also be careful not to over tighten, as the bracket is attaching to a plastic grill beneath the bumper. If you get too much torque the plastic grill will twist or probably break. (this is also a concern if you ever have somebody bump your front end.....the grill looks very susceptible to damage should you get bumped even lightly)

I also dont like the plate on the front, so I use some hand tighten nuts and bolts to remove and replace the plate if I need to use street parking or drive to places I know the front plate laws are more strict. San Francisco and Los Angeles allow the parking enforcement folks to write tix for no front plate, so you have to watch out in those neighborhoods. Otherwise, my front plate remains in my frunk and the front view of my X looks pretty clean.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I've got one installed. It was a little tricky getting the threaded holes to line up with the holes in the license bracket thru the plastic grill, and I'd recommend getting the bolts started then tightening them all at the same time. Prying a little bit with a long screwdriver to get things lined up also helps.

I concur with @Kurt'sX assessment. Fairly straightforward to install, but the provided allen key isn't quite long enough for an easy installation. If you have a longer allen key, it would help a lot.

I installed about a year ago, so not sure if they have rectified the issue since then.

you either rock the front plate or you dont, why pay $125 to relocate it a bit lower? kind of pointless if you ask me
I did it for two reasons, I didnt want to drill or glue anything to my bumper, but I still wanted a bracket to attach my plate should I need to display it. This bracket is nearly invisible when the plate isnt attached, but allows for quick install if I happen to be in an area where front plates are required. I attach whenever Im on the road and heading to cities or states where having a front plate is recommended. I do no street parking at home, so most the time I keep the plate in my frunk.

the OEM bracket isnt screwed in, its held to the bumper by adhesive
Correction. On the Model-S, it's attached by adhesive. On the Model-X, it's screwed in (SC will first drill holes into the bumper). Not sure if Tesla has changed (in past 12 months) or will change the way the license is attached to the Model-X bumper, but that's how it was for me.

Correction. On the Model-S, it's attached by adhesive. On the Model-X, it's screwed in (SC will first drill holes into the bumper). Not sure if Tesla has changed (in past 12 months) or will change the way the license is attached to the Model-X bumper, but that's how it was for me.
They will leave it off on the X if requested. At least my DS has agreed to do so. I've got The Law coming for my car.

Reactions: vandacca
I installed "the Law" bracket. Pretty easy but the wrench provided didnt work very well, the angles arent really good for tightening the bolts. I got out my trusted socket wrenches and used a flexible shaft for reaching into the grill and getting things tight. Also be careful not to over tighten, as the bracket is attaching to a plastic grill beneath the bumper. If you get too much torque the plastic grill will twist or probably break. (this is also a concern if you ever have somebody bump your front end.....the grill looks very susceptible to damage should you get bumped even lightly)

I found the supplied allen wrench to be a tight fit in the bolt heads. I'd recommend taking some 220 grit sand paper and do a little, careful sanding on the wrench end flats just to get a couple of mils (1 mil = 0.001") extra clearance in the bolt heads. Don't rotate the wrench while sanding!

• Helpful
IMG_0180.JPG

I ordered and installed "The Law" front license plate bracket and found it to be very sturdy but was not comfortable with the plastic grill attachment. It seemed to have a very long lever arm and when going through car washes, I felt that it would put quite a bit of torque on the plastic grill. I didn't want to take a chance on breaking it and having to replace th grill. I then came up with the above addition to add some stability and it seems to be very solid but totally reversible for the future. I took a piece of 2" pvc pipe and cut to the length of the metal crossmember of the bracket-(8") and put a strip of double sided 3M tape along the top and bottom. I then held up the bracket slightly and slid in the pipe and stuck it down to the crossmember above and the bumper lip below. It now holds solid and takes the stress off the plastic grill behind.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
View attachment 249716

I ordered and installed "The Law" front license plate bracket and found it to be very sturdy but was not comfortable with the plastic grill attachment. It seemed to have a very long lever arm and when going through car washes, I felt that it would put quite a bit of torque on the plastic grill. I didn't want to take a chance on breaking it and having to replace th grill. I then came up with the above addition to add some stability and it seems to be very solid but totally reversible for the future. I took a piece of 2" pvc pipe and cut to the length of the metal crossmember of the bracket-(8") and put a strip of double sided 3M tape along the top and bottom. I then held up the bracket slightly and slid in the pipe and stuck it down to the crossmember above and the bumper lip below. It now holds solid and takes the stress off the plastic grill behind.

Nice installation. We picked up our MX today and I asked the fellow if they would install the front license plate. He was a bit hesitant and the more he hedged and I looked at the front of the X the less willing I was to clutter it with the plates, especially to drill the holes for its installation. He suggested waiting a while and mentioned the Law which I had seen on this thread too. The X front is just too clean and simple. Came home and ordered one the these "Laws".

I’ve not installed mine yet (waiting for transfer to be processed, not much point for a paper plate that might blow away!) but tested the Allen wrench in the bolts and it feels like a good fit. That issue may have been solved or could be individual problems on mass produced wrenches.