Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any P3D+ with lowering springs? Springs vs Coil-overs debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating on getting springs or coil-overs but can't justify the cost of the coil-overs since I wont be taking it to the track.
If you have springs, have you had any issues? Any neg camber, racking, squeaking noises?

I've always heard "its not a supercar you don't need coilovers" but I recently saw that some super cars like Audi R8 and Ferrari 458 had lower their car on springs so I'd figure springs might be good enough for me lol. Although I don't see them having any racking/reverse racking but I have seen some Model 3s with that issue.

Please post a pic of your lowered car!!

• Helpful
Reactions: Pwdr Extreme
I would say if its in your budget, go for the coilovers. Aftermarket springs will wear out your stock struts quicker and will need to be replaced. It's also nice to have your original stock setup if you ever want to part out and go back to stock.

i have unplugged super performance springs on mine and love them. car feels tight to the ground, cornering is great, the drop is 1.5inches, and it does not scrape on normal everyday conditions/speed bumps. i am yet to scrape on mine. efficiency has gotten better.

Pretty cool story, when i went to get my alignment about a month after, the guy said he doesnt know why i brought it in that the alignment was perfect. so no negative caber here. If you take a look at my photo avatar that is my current stance with these springs. it is absolutely beautiful. also no creaking noises either!

Can you explain why it would wear out the stock struts quicker?
It was explained to me that the lower aftermarket springs will compress the stock strut more and that’s what leads them to wear out sooner. Basically, you’re pairing a strut and spring together that were not designed for each other. But the rate at which the strut wears out will probably depend on your driving.

OP requested - lowered on Eibach pro-kit.
IMG_2418.JPG

Reactions: I<3URANUS
You would expect that aftermarket springs that lower the car will be slightly stiffer than stock, which will put additional force on the shock during rebound. In addition, the shorter overall suspension travel will keep the shock compressed more and also increase the risk of "bottoming out" the shock over very large variations in road surface.These combined will tend to wear out the stock shocks faster...but in practical terms the effective life of the shock may still be completely acceptable.

• Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS
Unplugged says their springs are made specifically to work side by side with what the car already has. dont know how true this is and if so, would there be anywhere to buy the shocks aftermarket?

Of course they work fine together -- if you are happy that is all that matters right? Just know that, over time, the effective shock life may be reduced (may or may not matter to you).

I don't think there are any heavy-duty aftermarket shocks available just yet (e.g. Bilsteins).

If your looking to lower it just go air, you won’t go back to springs or coilovers after.
all three have their pros and cons. most people want a simple suspension upgrade without breaking the bank.
SPRINGS- pros: very affordable $200-$400 max plus install maybe 800-1k. cons: "might" damage the shocks in the long run and wear them out soon
COILOVERS: pros-very comfortable to drive plus everything else that is obvious. cons: very expensive compared to springs $2k plus not including install
AIR SUSPENSION: pros- adjustable ride height, comfort, etc cons- also very expensive compared to the other two options plus if one of the bags break get ready to pay out of pocket again some hefty price

this is just my views and from what Ive read in forums and the cars I have driven. if I am wrong in any way please feel free to put me in my place as I could be mistaken

It was explained to me that the lower aftermarket springs will compress the stock strut more and that’s what leads them to wear out sooner. Basically, you’re pairing a strut and spring together that were not designed for each other. But the rate at which the strut wears out will probably depend on your driving.

That kind of drop won't have substantial effect on the shocks. It's still well within it's travel capacity. Premature wear would be minimal at best under normal driving conditions.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I'm debating on getting springs or coil-overs but can't justify the cost of the coil-overs since I wont be taking it to the track.
If you have springs, have you had any issues? Any neg camber, racking, squeaking noises?

I've always heard "its not a supercar you don't need coilovers" but I recently saw that some super cars like Audi R8 and Ferrari 458 had lower their car on springs so I'd figure springs might be good enough for me lol. Although I don't see them having any racking/reverse racking but I have seen some Model 3s with that issue.

You'll be just fine with just a set of springs my man. Don't sweat it at all. If you're mostly going for look, find a set from a well known brand and go for it.

Of course coils are better but for just regular every day driving, not exactly needed.

Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: ctapiam3

Super cars nowadays are lowered on springs because of the electronic dampening (ie, sport, sport plus, comfort)

For the record, I'm lowering on springs (eibach) but have yet to install them. It's good enough for daily driving. I'd love to go to coilovers for more control and adjustability but springs will suffice for now.

I got my car second hand in February. Car was lowered by previous owner. It is low, like Mustang low I had when I was 16 to 19. Have to crawl over the speed bumps. ride isn't terrible honestly, I haven't ridden in one without being lowered to notice the difference but the people that have been in it haven't complained at all. The handling is super crisp so I like that. I personally wouldn't have done it or would have done it not so low but so far I don't see any issues with it. Tires appear to be wearing evenly so I don't see issues with that.

It was the type of deal where there are not many used Model 3 Performance around so take one next door or go across the country and try my luck. Worked out 5 years ago when I got my AMG E63 from across the country but I didn't want to tempt fate again.

I got my car second hand in February. Car was lowered by previous owner. It is low, like Mustang low I had when I was 16 to 19. Have to crawl over the speed bumps. ride isn't terrible honestly, I haven't ridden in one without being lowered to notice the difference but the people that have been in it haven't complained at all. The handling is super crisp so I like that. I personally wouldn't have done it or would have done it not so low but so far I don't see any issues with it. Tires appear to be wearing evenly so I don't see issues with that.

It was the type of deal where there are not many used Model 3 Performance around so take one next door or go across the country and try my luck. Worked out 5 years ago when I got my AMG E63 from across the country but I didn't want to tempt fate again.
i feel like it depends. before i got my performance 3, i had a LR RWD model 3 and had it on UP super lows and on vossen 20 inch rims and i agree, the ride was brutal made me regret doing all those things to it. especially having to go over speed bumps so carefully