Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any plans for a heated steering wheel and birds eye view?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Birds eye view is physically impossible with current hardware, and they've given no indication the camera HW is changing

Also no mention of a heated wheel but that'd be a lot easier to add at some point- maybe when they start selling models to northern Europe sometime Q1/Q2 next year

Reactions: Big Earl
The latter is not so important to my wife but apparently the heated steering wheel is a deal breaker. Any plans for either in the future. Still a year or so from buying. Might wait for a Y.

Going on 4th winter in our 3rd Tesla now. Never missed the heated steering wheel. Since preconditioning the car is awesome, your wife will likely not miss it either. I turn the heating on just I am heading to the garage - and in a short 4-5 minutes it is already nice and toasty.

We also have a Merc E coupe - awesome interior, but the pre-heating is a joke, mainly because it relies on running the engine to generate heat. Even if I run climate back-to back twice (it shuts down the engine / climate at 10 minutes) it is still just barely lukewarm. In that car I do miss the heated steering wheel.....

So it all depends on how warm is the car by the time to hop in.

The latter is not so important to my wife but apparently the heated steering wheel is a deal breaker. Any plans for either in the future. Still a year or so from buying. Might wait for a Y.
You can pre-heat the car using the app so it is warm inside when you get in. To me that seems better than getting in a cold car and turning on the heated steering wheel and waiting for it to warm up.

No one outside of Tesla knows if the features you refer to will be available in the future or not. Anyone who does claim to know is simply speculating. If your wife insists on a heated steering wheel, consider buying a used S or X if a new one is not affordable for you.

You can pre-heat the car using the app so it is warm inside when you get in. To me that seems better than getting in a cold car and turning on the heated steering wheel and waiting for it to warm up.

No one outside of Tesla knows if the features you refer to will be available in the future or not. Anyone who does claim to know is simply speculating. If your wife insists on a heated steering wheel, consider buying a used S or X if a new one is not affordable for you.

We considered the used S. kinda tight in the garage though...or even getting it in the garage thru the door.

We use the pre-heat on our Leaf all the time. Turns on the steering wheel too. Kinda nice.

I have a 2018 Chevy Bolt, and the Bolt's heated steering is noticeable warm 10 secs after power on, and nice and toasty at about 20-30 secs after power on. I use the heated steering wheel more than the heated sests, and I have yet to turn on the cabin heater since I bought the car. On a cold raininy morning/day...that heated wheel is so comforting.

Reactions: Electric Joe
I am hoping when they introduce the heated steering wheel, we will be able to swap it out on our existing cars that came without it. Or a third party may produce a heated wheel that we can swap. It appears to be pretty easy to remove the wheel, remove the air bag and then install the air bag back into a new wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: dusdev
I accept that I am not the "norm" here, but my hands get cold just sitting at the wheel. I guess I have poor circulation.

I'd LOVE a heated steering wheel. That and perforated/cooled seats are the only features I miss from my Lexus IS250.

I am hoping when they introduce the heated steering wheel, we will be able to swap it out on our existing cars that came without it. Or a third party may produce a heated wheel that we can swap. It appears to be pretty easy to remove the wheel, remove the air bag and then install the air bag back into a new wheel.

Is there existing wiring to power a heated steering wheel? If not, that would be a major obstacle to retrofitting one. I suspect that this will be very difficult to do and won't be nicely integrated into the rest of the car's climate control system. However, I definitely think a heated steering wheel is in the future cards for the Model 3. I'm disappointed it wasn't part of the current Premium Upgrades Package.

Is there existing wiring to power a heated steering wheel? If not, that would be a major obstacle to retrofitting one. I suspect that this will be very difficult to do and won't be nicely integrated into the rest of the car's climate control system.

I tend to agree, but want to point out that my 2012 Signature Model S did not come with parking sensors. The original owner paid Tesla later to add them and you'd never know they weren't original-- the onscreen display showing distance from obstacles was perfect. Imagine how complicated that retrofit must have been! That's a lot of wires, not to mention all the little mounts required and whatever electronics were needed to communicate with the main computing unit to render the images properly onscreen. Compared to all that, adding a heating element to a steering wheel seems doable, even minor.

I tend to agree, but want to point out that my 2012 Signature Model S did not come with parking sensors. The original owner paid Tesla later to add them and you'd never know they weren't original-- the onscreen display showing distance from obstacles was perfect. Imagine how complicated that retrofit must have been! That's a lot of wires, not to mention all the little mounts required and whatever electronics were needed to communicate with the main computing unit to render the images properly onscreen. Compared to all that, adding a heating element to a steering wheel seems doable, even minor.

It would require replacement of the steering wheel, which is minor and should only cost a couple hundred bucks if Tesla had the foresight to include the wiring in the clockspring to connect it to.