Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any practical advantages of PUP red brembo brakes over standard brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, what? The rotors are 7-8 lbs heavier than low weight rotors? That's a lot! How about compared to the 18" rotors of the aero wheels, which in turn are 8 lbs lighter per corner than the 20" wheels. This really makes me wonder how much quicker the 0-60 time of the P3D- would be with stickier rubber on them, given the 16 lbs per corner weight savings compared to P3D+...!?!?

Only 3 real benefits, you have to decide if the second and third ones are "real world" use condition or not:
1) track use, and even there, you need a brake fluid swap out (to prevent boiling) and harder pads for track use
2) cachet value - esp. when you pull up next to the 'Rari, Porsche or Lamborghini with big red Brembo brakes :D:D
3) for tweakophiles with money to spend on tuning, there exists an option for lighter weight rotors, saving about 7-8 lbs per corner due to lighter rotor hat, from RB in California. Downside: over $2k for front and rears, but you save about the same unsprung weight compared to getting VS Forged, wheels, which are even more $ at $2600+. So it's actually worth considering. My speculation is that with lightest weight alloys/tires, and this light weight brake rotor kit, we might see someone post a verified time 0-60 very close to 3.0 (from the significantly lower inertial mass on spinup). Not clear if this option available for standard brakes. Also, the rotors are way cooler looking, and may have some benefits in condition #1, given (at least advertised) better cooling of the disk from internal 'convergent vanes' design.

The big benefit with the Performance package is the 3.2 0-60. The brakes are just visual 'arm candy' to show you got the upgraded drivetrain, so that MB AMG 6.3 and BMW M series owners in the know don't try to street race you. :p:p

Wait, what? The rotors are 7-8 lbs heavier than low weight rotors? That's a lot! How about compared to the 18" rotors of the aero wheels, which in turn are 8 lbs lighter per corner than the 20" wheels. This really makes me wonder how much quicker the 0-60 time of the P3D- would be with stickier rubber on them, given the 16 lbs per corner weight savings compared to P3D+...!?!?

These are constructed with an aluminum hat, and this also allows bolt-in rotor 'blanks' that can be replaced when the disk wears out, keeping the hat. They also make rotors for the non-Brembo braked car also, and if you have that brake system, they make a lighter weight version there too that saves about 4-5 lbs per corner. Keep in mind that the only way you can get the 450 hp dual motor setup at this point is with the larger Brembo brakes. I doubt that many of the DMP cars didn't have the upgraded brakes but I don't have any stats on that point.

These are constructed with an aluminum hat, and this also allows bolt-in rotor 'blanks' that can be replaced when the disk wears out, keeping the hat. They also make rotors for the non-Brembo braked car also, and if you have that brake system, they make a lighter weight version there too that saves about . Keep in mind that the only way you can get the 450 hp dual motor setup at this point is with the larger Brembo brakes. I doubt that many of the DMP cars didn't have the upgraded brakes but I don't have any stats on that point.

The bigger brakes might actually cost a little bit of range. I know the regular brakes were spec'ed to have no drag (piston seals more fully retract to reduce pad drag). I'm not sure the Performance brakes have that feature.

If by performance brakes you mean the Performance brake upgrade, yes they also have that feature. Tesla would not do that because the range hit is considerable. Which one of the problems in fact with putting any aftermarket brake that is not Tesla on the car is you're going to get a potentially significant increase in Rolling resistance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
does anyone have experience using both the LR AWD & the P3d with the upgraded brakes? I have an opportunity to install the brakes from a p3d and was wondering if it was worth the trouble as ive read here that real world difference is negligible. Im hoping someone has experience with both and can chime in

coming from a bmw 3 series, my lr awd brakes feel extremely mushy and need to stomp on it to really get anything going. Car is only a few months old

thanks

Interesting, the brakes feel pretty good on mine.

The BMW M235 I had on the other hand with the huge, pretty blue 'M' brakes... When you really get on them, they were really strong but the first quarter of pedal travel did absolutely nothing but make you soil your pants. I hated the steering and brakes on that car. Completely numb with zero feedback.

does anyone have experience using both the LR AWD & the P3d with the upgraded brakes? I have an opportunity to install the brakes from a p3d and was wondering if it was worth the trouble as ive read here that real world difference is negligible. Im hoping someone has experience with both and can chime in

coming from a bmw 3 series, my lr awd brakes feel extremely mushy and need to stomp on it to really get anything going. Car is only a few months old

thanks

So I guess it depends what you mean by "real world difference"

Changing your brakes can absolutely change the "feel" in real world use.

They won't actually stop the car any shorter though- because the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

Reactions: Daniel in SD

thanks
Yes, many of us dislike the stock brake feel. Strongly suggest swapping in Mountain Pass "Street" pads up front. Brake feel is still not that good, but it solves the issue just enough (to the point that it's no longer distracting to me) for only $200. Install took less than 30m total in my garage (most difficult part is finding a not-scary jack point).

Can't comment on the red brakes, but I agree with what everyone else said - big brakes are not really a high priority upgrade for 99.9% of driving situations.

Wow...super old thread come back to life but also good to remind everyone that there are many more options available now than when the original thread was started. Not hard to find compatible 18 inch wheel set for the P3D.