Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any reason why I can't do a trip to Reno with one Supercharge in a P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brother-in-law's bachelor party is coming up this Sept in Reno... Assuming a range charge to start out, is there any reason why I can't do San Mateo --> Tiburon --> Reno with a single supercharge at Roseville Galleria for dinner?

No matter what assumptions I enter, EVTripPlanner always picks 2 stops, even with an S85D. As you can see in the below link, I've chosen very conservative settings for speed multiplier, temp differential and payload and manage to obtain rated miles of 183 (147 actual) and 174 (114 actual) for each segment respectively. So should I really consider stopping in two less convenient locations for this trip or is EVtripplanner just being ultraconservative?

EV Trip Planner

I can make it in my P85 (with little range left for getting around) so you should be able to do it in the P85D. The problem is there is not a supercharger in Reno, so I would top up in Truckee. If you don't do a lot of driving while in Reno, you will have enough power to make it back to Galleria without another charge.

Opposite coast, but the day I picked up my P85D (two weeks ago), I drove from the Burlington, NC supercharger to Asheville, NC which was 188 miles. I also gained a considerable amount of elevation and encountered (literally) the worst thunder storms I've ever seen. The car wanted to route me through another supercharger but I ignored it and made it home with ~11% left.

I'd say you'll probably be fine.

Two charges from 10% to 55% take a lot less time than one charge 10% to 100%. Anytime you pass 70-80% SoC at a Supercharger, the time to charge starts getting annoying...

Definitely agree here.

On future road trips, when we're not constrained by needing to stop at nearly every charger because of the spread of them, I'll be aiming to keep the SOC as low as possible. between them, unless we're stopping for a long meal (dinner).