TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Any reason why I can't do a trip to Reno with one Supercharge in a P85D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gordo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gordo

gordo Member

Brother-in-law's bachelor party is coming up this Sept in Reno... Assuming a range charge to start out, is there any reason why I can't do San Mateo --> Tiburon --> Reno with a single supercharge at Roseville Galleria for dinner?

No matter what assumptions I enter, EVTripPlanner always picks 2 stops, even with an S85D. As you can see in the below link, I've chosen very conservative settings for speed multiplier, temp differential and payload and manage to obtain rated miles of 183 (147 actual) and 174 (114 actual) for each segment respectively. So should I really consider stopping in two less convenient locations for this trip or is EVtripplanner just being ultraconservative?

EV Trip Planner

2. MichFin

MichFin Member

You should be able to see your KWH usage for any leg. Remember elevation changes can impact your range.

3. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

I can make it in my P85 (with little range left for getting around) so you should be able to do it in the P85D. The problem is there is not a supercharger in Reno, so I would top up in Truckee. If you don't do a lot of driving while in Reno, you will have enough power to make it back to Galleria without another charge.

4. gordo

gordo Member

I plan on parking the car while in Reno for a couple nights... Won't be driving at all. They have a HPWC at the Eldorado, so will charge up there before we leave.

5. JunesongProvisn

Opposite coast, but the day I picked up my P85D (two weeks ago), I drove from the Burlington, NC supercharger to Asheville, NC which was 188 miles. I also gained a considerable amount of elevation and encountered (literally) the worst thunder storms I've ever seen. The car wanted to route me through another supercharger but I ignored it and made it home with ~11% left.

I'd say you'll probably be fine.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Two charges from 10% to 55% take a lot less time than one charge 10% to 100%. Anytime you pass 70-80% SoC at a Supercharger, the time to charge starts getting annoying...

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Definitely agree here.

On future road trips, when we're not constrained by needing to stop at nearly every charger because of the spread of them, I'll be aiming to keep the SOC as low as possible. between them, unless we're stopping for a long meal (dinner).

8. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Blast the a/c and don't worry about your speed, you will make it!