Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found in the winter that it underestimates usage. For me a general rule has been that if it is 32f I would estimate 20f cooler and you will get very close to actual usage. Better to be conservative on winter travel. Other than that I love the evtripplanner. The on board planner gets better all the time, but I always use evtripplanner before every long trip.

I've found that EVTP does some weird routing sometimes, and you have to check the path to make sure it makes sense. Such as: from my place in Western Colorado to Seattle, it had me go through Montana ...in the winter?! Not to mention that was a couple of hundred miles longer. Easy to fix, though, by putting in intermediate cities you want to be sure to go through.

So sure: I use EVTP for planning. And I use the car's nav to execute that plan.

Reactions: evp
I still use the incar planner while on the road because none of the others respond well in the Tesla browser.
of them all, my personal favorite is abettertripplanner.com. It has all the metrics you need, although not so many as does evtripplanner. abettertripplanner is very, very fast and pretty much glitchlesss, for me anyway. EVTripping I have used a little and have no major problems, but it hasn't attracted me much.

A couple general comments about all of them:
1. None permit complete entry of expected weather. to be fair, since I am an airplane pilot I am accustomed to having current expected altitudes winds, temperatures and precipitation entries, automated or manual. A couple of them do calculate altitude changes, like evtripplanner, and that greatly improves accuracy.
2. there are substantial differences in consumption based on exact model and wheel combinations. EVtripplanner is the winner on that detail.

Frankly, you'll probably end out gravitating to one or another. I find myself experimenting with different ones. I always learn something new when I try a new one.

Otherwise I plan conservatively to arrive with at least 20% reserve. Taht way I am normally prepared for whatever happens.

Last, when you get high speed limits and follow them your range will drop 'like a rock', but driving a Tesla fast is FUN. I've owned some seriously fast cars but a Tesla at speed is better than any other. If that is something you value, plan to stop to recharge MUCH more often. That's no different than it is with ICE, but...
Trip Planner itself becomes entertaining for some of us. For me it is a joyful thing, maybe because of my flying habits. You'll soon figure out your preferences.

Final note on Range Anxiety. IME, it disappears in about 5,000 miles or three months, whichever comes first.

Just a quick note on EVTripping, it uses actual weather (current weather if no planned trip depature time or past or future weather) for the trips. It also takes elevation changes into account, traffic, etc.

For EV trip planner, how does one get the proper wind data to enter into the system? That's one factor I have no idea how to input.

As well, the payload, and speed factor (increasing from 1.0 to 1.1) don't seem to make much of a difference with energy useage. I can't understand that.

For EV trip planner, how does one get the proper wind data to enter into the system? That's one factor I have no idea how to input.

As well, the payload, and speed factor (increasing from 1.0 to 1.1) don't seem to make much of a difference with energy useage. I can't understand that.
Intellicast - Current Winds in Eugene, Oregon

Payload does not make much difference however the speed factor makes a big difference. I just plotted a trip to PDX and at SF1 it comes back with 356Whrs/mi at 66 mph. Increase SF to 1.1 and it comes back with 389 Whrs/mi at 73 mph.

Here's another site for wind forecasts: Windfinder - wind, wave & weather reports, forecasts & statistics worldwide

Payload isn't worth bothering with, but speed factor does make a difference.

Reactions: GHammer