Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Signature Model X owners NOT receive their car yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are the Production Xs are delivered before all the Sig Xs. Does this make sense ?

I think there are a few things going on here. First of all, the response to configure was a bit slow from signature and production reservations alike. Tesla first opened up sig orders and gave them a pretty lengthy head start in the Design Studio before opening up production orders. Once an order is submitted to the system, it is placed in the queue based on time of confirmation, configuration choices, etc.. The fact that it's a Signature, Founders or Production series vehicle no longer takes precedent, those are just badges on the car and different VIN # selection.

The next issue is all the early production issues. There are numerous reports that there are, and have been, quite a few X's sitting at the factory that are not moving. I'm betting there are a lot of early production signature models that didn't pass QC inspection and they are caught in limbo until appropriate fixes can be applied to these vehicles. It might make sense from a manufacturing and delivery perspective, but it really sucks for a lot of early signature orders who don't know where there cards may be at. IMO, if this is indeed the case, Tesla should probably move forward by remanufacturing new cars for these deliveries and then when the opportunity arises to repair or address those cars that are sitting, they can be used as showroom demos and loaner vehicles.

I also suspect that production series cars will also have trickled down into the queue amongst Sigs depending on configuration options or how fast a car can be shipped. There is a lot more new revenue tied to each production order vs. the handful of sig orders that are lost in limbo.

On top of that, we have component or supplier issues. Some are known like the black Onyx wheels, which really are not a factor in this Sig X discussion, but representative of the slowness of this process.

@andrewket: That now makes an n=3 for cars in purgatory that take 7-8 weeks for QC.

@Roamer: Thanks for the pep talk. I absolutely have faith and confidence in Tesla to do the right thing. As such, I have voted with my dollars and my faith in the firm is not shaken. My real worry is having to frequent the SC to address things. As there are so many others who have "punch list items" for their X's, I worry that the SC's will become overburdened and not be able to address concerns quickly. I am confident that they will do a great job, but it might take them a while to get to your car given the load. As it is, I have heard that the waitlist to even get an appointment at my SC is increasing. And it would be one thing if they could give you another Tesla as a loaner, but again, I have heard that Tesla loaners are getting scarce. And (first world problem alert!) I really loathe the idea of having a crappy ICE car as a loaner if my Tesla has to be in the shop a lot.

Sorry to burden you all with my fears, but these are the things I now worry about. I will never entertain the thought of cancelling my order or anything obscene like that. But these are the tricks my mind is playing on me as the waiting drags on....

During my last detailer visit, I saw a beautiful Model S that the detailer had finished. The detailer mentioned that it was the owner's second vehicle, that the buyer had Tesla Motors remake the car due to excessive defects! So, that can be the ultimate solution if a vehicle isn't right, and it is good to know that Tesla has done that. (My Model X had clear coat defects that were the worst my detailer had ever seen from Tesla, but they were all correctable by the detailer after "paint correction". Current vehicles have better paint quality according to the detailer.)

A friend of mine who purchased a Signature Model S had Tesla make him a new car. He actually refused delivery of it the first time around after it spent a couple weeks being prepped for delivery and still had a laundry list of issues that he saw on delivery day. So far, the X launch seems to be going about the same as what I remember of the S launch. Slow ramp up, lots of inexcusable QC issues early on... I think at times there's a little too much of the "let's just start building cars and figure out problems later" approach. But I have faith and I know Tesla will take care of everyone. The Model S has essentially turned into the best car ever. I fully expect the X to match or even surpass that achievement.

Communication is often poor, but customer service and satisfaction are really high. I configured my X with the ultra white seats. The durability threads have me a bit concerned, but I know that Tesla will handle this if it truly becomes an issue.

I havne't asked my DS to get me exact information on what needs correcting, simply some kind of timeframe for when I can expect delivery. He can't do that because he's not been given that information. Nor has there been any reason given for why Tesla can't provide a timeframe (e.g. there is a part we're waiting on and we don't know exactly when it will be available). My DS has been awesome and returns all my emails/calls promptly but he never has anything he can tell me.

To be clear here, I'm not mad at the DS or even Tesla, I'm just really confused as to what's going on and the problem with no information is that by imagination is filling in the blanks. Also, we have a road trip planned that begins on March 18th. We were going to take the Model X but that's looking less likely every day.

To be clear here, I'm not mad at the DS or even Tesla, I'm just really confused as to what's going on and the problem with no information is that by imagination is filling in the blanks. Also, we have a road trip planned that begins on March 18th. We were going to take the Model X but that's looking less likely every day.

Months ago I arranged for my old car to be moved to my second home 1300 miles away in early March. At the time my Model X was expected around the end of the year. I don't have any idea when it will show up and soon I will have no car. I will be skateboarding to the rail for a while as I wait for the Model X.

I have a delivery date: 3/4. Per a new rule, the earliest a service center is permitted to deliver an X is 8 days after arrival. This is to discourage rushing through PDI, which apparently has been modified and is now more extensive.

I have a delivery date: 3/4. Per a new rule, the earliest a service center is permitted to deliver an X is 8 days after arrival. This is to discourage rushing through PDI, which apparently has been modified and is now more extensive.

Sorry if you've already posted this, but would you be able to provide the timeline for your order? As in when did you confirm?

I havne't asked my DS to get me exact information on what needs correcting, simply some kind of timeframe for when I can expect delivery. He can't do that because he's not been given that information. Nor has there been any reason given for why Tesla can't provide a timeframe (e.g. there is a part we're waiting on and we don't know exactly when it will be available). My DS has been awesome and returns all my emails/calls promptly but he never has anything he can tell me.

I am almost certain he could give you more exact information, but they don't want to because a) they don't want you to get even more upset if there's another slip and b) they really don't have an idea of how long the tweaks take. Someone at TM knows what is going on with your car and the DS can likely get to them, but they just don't want to set expectations. This is my theory only. Don't know for sure, but I do know there's someone at TM who knows what your X needs and why.

Sorry if you've already posted this, but would you be able to provide the timeline for your order? As in when did you confirm?

My X is a FbR so it may not be the best datapoint. Converted prod order 23xx to FbR and confirmed 11/24 (the earliest date you could confirm FbR). It was in production in December, and as best as I can tell off the assembly line around 1/3. Paid in full 12/29, expecting 2nd week of January delivery, end of Jan the latest. Seven weeks of rectification. Finished production 2/17, shipped 2/19. Arrived east coast 2/25. Pending delivery 3/4.

My X is a FbR so it may not be the best datapoint. Converted prod order 23xx to FbR and confirmed 11/24 (the earliest date you could confirm FbR). It was in production in December, and as best as I can tell off the assembly line around 1/3. Paid in full 12/29, expecting 2nd week of January delivery, end of Jan the latest. Seven weeks of rectification. Finished production 2/17, shipped 2/19. Arrived east coast 2/25. Pending delivery 3/4.

ok, interesting.

I'm comparing with a friend of mine who has a confirmed sig res with VIN in the 900s. It was confirmed 1/16, and was "supposed to be delivered end Feb early March", but who knows. All his DS will tell him is that its in production and no idea when delivery will be.

ok, interesting.

I'm comparing with a friend of mine who has a confirmed sig res with VIN in the 900s. It was confirmed 1/16, and was "supposed to be delivered end Feb early March", but who knows. All his DS will tell him is that its in production and no idea when delivery will be.

I confirmed 12/16 (ordered 12/9) and that's all I get from the DS as well. View source on the MyTesla page says Feb-Early March. Here's to hope!

I confirmed my Six X on Oct 6th. It has been 5 months!

- - - Updated - - -

I am almost certain he could give you more exact information, but they don't want to because a) they don't want you to get even more upset if there's another slip and b) they really don't have an idea of how long the tweaks take. Someone at TM knows what is going on with your car and the DS can likely get to them, but they just don't want to set expectations. This is my theory only. Don't know for sure, but I do know there's someone at TM who knows what your X needs and why.
I concur.

My situation is even more pathetic.. I confirmed in early October. Yes, OCTOBER. And told "final production" in early January. What kind of final production takes 7 weeks?

We confirmed our Signature X order September 29th, before the X reveal event up in Fremont. Still absolutely no word on a revised delivery timeframe. They had, of course, indicated last year that it was their intention to have all Sigs out by the end of the year. It just makes it really hard to plan your life, when such a major event is in limbo. I am, of course, very glad that they are working out all the bugs, and having driven an X, I know the car will be amazing.

Just one simple phone call or email would go a long ways, even if it is just to say that they are still working on it, and don't know a time frame. Simple good PR.

Ron
SigX VIN #484

My FbR was supposed to be delivered as early as late December. It has been in "final inspection" according to my DS since the beginning of the year. 2 month long inspection . . . :cursing::cursing::cursing:
Happy to have you join me for the Denver event next Thursday evening or on my test drive Friday morning. My family is less than excited, and want me to go solo....

Happy to have you join me for the Denver event next Thursday evening or on my test drive Friday morning. My family is less than excited, and want me to go solo....

I appreciate the offer. Originally, we didn't RSVP as we were sure we would have ours already. Then it was clear we probably wouldn't and the event was overbooked. I talked to my DS and he got us in at 9:00.

I am traveling, but my wife will be there. It is her car anyway. Don't feel bad as she couldn't get any of the kids interested in joining her either. Frustrating when folks can share the excitement. Maybe you will see here there.

I confirmed my Six X on Oct 6th. It has been 5 months!

- - - Updated - - -

I concur.

WOW! you and Chanman deserve some kind of compensation. Your VIN is probably going to indicate a 2015 manufacturing date knocking who knows how much off the value right off the bat. You should have the right to say just give me the next car meeting my configuration and let TM deal with the specific vehicle that obviously has serious issues IMO