Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Signature Model X owners NOT receive their car yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a SIG but the way those of you still waiting on a car are being treated is outrageous. Collectively SIG's put up almost $48 million in deposits and some have even fully paid for cars not received. Frankly I think the patience showed by some is counterproductive because I've yet to hear any real urgency from EM. Listen to the last two earnings calls, EM is so casual and offhand about delays you would think delays were only caused by minor "chrome bits" and "seals". NO ONE should have gotten a perfect X before all of you Sigs. Frankly if this is how you people with the most skin in the game are treated I'm getting very concerned about how we non-P production folks will be dealt with. Particularly if focus shifts to the M3 this year. Will we be orphaned?

I am a signature holder in Canada and all I can say is that it's not that big a deal for me. I would like to get it soon, but it's still just a cool car.

I don't even consider switching to a 7 passenger mercedes or lexus or AMG or M series because they are not close to what I want. I want a cool car that's a BEV.

So I wait.

Rename "Signature Red" and let everyone have that color choice (or something similar) for Model 3.

Maybe if the first 100 Model 3 vehicles were sent to the top 100 reviewers, the remaining production might be flawless.
I don't think this is a good idea, because the first 100 3's will have numerous problems. The reviewers will certainly report this that the model 3 is flawed in many ways and may discourage people from buying into a new brand. However I think that offering sig red for everyone will be nice as I know many people like that color.

I don't think this is a good idea, because the first 100 3's will have numerous problems. The reviewers will certainly report this that the model 3 is flawed in many ways and may discourage people from buying into a new brand. However I think that offering sig red for everyone will be nice as I know many people like that color.

I think Mark was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. In all seriousness, I would argue that the first few hundred Model 3s not go to any paying customer. There could be a real beta test program, where select drivers get them for a month or two and have the option to buy them afterwards or return them. Ongoing tweaks would make production vehicles more solid when real deliveries begin.

However, we're getting way off topic.

You know ohmman, that is a great idea! Pick me! Pick me! I'd love to beta the Model 3. Promise I won't post anything to TMC! Everything back to Tesla.

In all seriousness, Tesla does have a core group of supporters and long-standing owners (going back to the roadsters) which I think they should consider using for beta testers before unleashing the Model 3. Maybe even bring in a few folks from TMC who have followed the Model 3 for a long time (e.g.--bigbear, etc..) but who are NOT current owners to get more general owner feedback and issues. Have everyone sign non disclosures (family included...) and run a few 100 model 3s out there before the full release. Obviously insurance issues etc... but that would be a pretty cool idea... vaguely reminds me of the EV1 "concept" that GM ultimately destroyed.

I don't think this is a good idea, because the first 100 3's will have numerous problems...
My suggestion was to encourage Tesla Motors to manufacture Model 3 to a perfect standard from day one. If the cars went to the reviewers, then you can almost bet that Tesla Motors would perfect the process before shipping any cars to customers who made deposits.

I would agree with ohmman about producing Model 3 vehicles for testing before the first production cars. IMHO, then the first perfect production cars can go to the reviewers.

Last edited:
Anyone still waiting for Signature X delivery in US?

I have to believe it is more than just a few Signatures waiting. We are SigX VIN #484, and have heard absolutely nothing from our DS. We were told that he would let us know when our car arrived at the SC in Santa Barbara, so if it is not even at the SC yet, it must be weeks away. There must still be hundreds of Sig people in the same boat.

WE had been planning to use our X to drive us and a bunch of friends up to the Santa Barbara Tesla store on March 31st, to place deposits on the Model 3. We are now starting to have serious doubts if we will even have our SigX by then.

Ron
SigX VIN #484 (still waiting)
Sig Red, 7 seat, 20"wheels, tow pkg, cold weather pkg, no Ludicrous, confirmed order 9-29-2015

I have to believe it is more than just a few Signatures waiting. We are SigX VIN #484, and have heard absolutely nothing from our DS. We were told that he would let us know when our car arrived at the SC in Santa Barbara, so if it is not even at the SC yet, it must be weeks away. There must still be hundreds of Sig people in the same boat.

WE had been planning to use our X to drive us and a bunch of friends up to the Santa Barbara Tesla store on March 31st, to place deposits on the Model 3. We are now starting to have serious doubts if we will even have our SigX by then.

After making plans to move my car to a worksite a few months ago. I found myself without any car to drive so I bought a 2016 Nissan Leaf, which will only cost me around $15K after the discounts and tax rebates. My DS has no status update--"final inspection" for the last two months. The thought of being carless was too much.

Tesla should send all Signature/FbR owners a nice apology and gift. Very inconvenient to lead us to believe we would have cars months ago.

I just called and my DS said our Sig was in body in white status. This implies that it hasn't been sitting somewhere almost fully built but awaiting some part or parts. Anyone care to speculate if they scrapped my initial build and started from scratch?

I just called and my DS said our Sig was in body in white status. This implies that it hasn't been sitting somewhere almost fully built but awaiting some part or parts. Anyone care to speculate if they scrapped my initial build and started from scratch?

Wow, that would seem to imply some kind of significant problem with something they were unable to fix. The only thing I can think of is something that was welded wrong. Or perhaps the car was accidentally wrecked during testing?

Wow, that would seem to imply some kind of significant problem with something they were unable to fix. The only thing I can think of is something that was welded wrong. Or perhaps the car was accidentally wrecked during testing?

I can readily imagine Tesla deciding to build another vehicle so that a customer that should have been an early recipient can get in on the fun sooner than later. Then Tesla carries that almost-finished goods inventory until they can get it repaired to usable status, and out it goes as a store / test drive vehicle for the first few months of it's life.

Actually - Tesla is going to need a batch of test drive cars anyway. If they've got several dozen cars / people in limbo because of issues that have since been solved, and the issue is reworking those cars so the issue is resolved, I would seriously think about just building another car for folks. Or at least contact them and ask. Hey - your VIN changes to something "big" (or at least bigger) - but then Tesla shifts the pain of waiting for the car to be fully functional and ready for delivery from a valued customer, to themselves.

I find that problems get fixed most expeditiously when the problem fixer is also the one experiencing the pain of the problem :)

Here's hoping you have your car soon Lyon! I've been able to see a Model X in person, including drive it during the Meet Model X event in Portland (see pic of Roadster, X, and S over in the Roadster forum if you're interested). It's the only SUV I've driven so maybe I have a warped sense of things, but it sure seemed like it drove an awful lot like a Roadster, except with a smoother / softer ride. Don't all SUV's feel like sports cars? :confused: (Yeah - I liked it).

After 3 years of waiting, now it's my turn to create a reason to wait. Sigh.