Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any success getting pay-as-you-go supercharging activated on a non-free SC car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 60 without SC access. I really have no interest in free charging, but rapid charging on an upcoming trip to AZ sure would be nice. My 3 has pay-as-go, would they ever activate it for an S? My first attempt resulted in “oh yeah, that’ll work fine.” But when I tried today it did not work. Am I tilting at windmills?

Thanks

Edit: I was far from home when I tried today. Tesla roadside asst was great, and unlocked SC for 24hrs so I could get home. Very quick and friendly. So I know it works. 175 miles of charge per hour was awesome. (First ever use of SC)

Last edited:
Reactions: EVCarGUy
I was unaware that pay as you go did NOT exist for S/X without unlimited super charging. You're telling me you went to a supercharging station recently, plugged in, and nothing happens?

i have a 60 without SC access. I really have no interest in free charging, but rapid charging on an upcoming trip to AZ sure would be nice. My 3 has pay-as-go, would they ever activate it for an S? My first attempt resulted in “oh yeah, that’ll work fine.” But when I tried today it did not work. Am I tilting at windmills?

Thanks

It's a fixed price upgrade that moves you into unlimited supercharging...

The original 60 cars did not have supercharging included in the price. You had to pay to enable it.

It was a surprise to me that it meant no SC access at all. I had assumed when I bought it just meant no FREE SC. Honestly, I charge from home all the time, so it’s not a huge deal, but it would be very handy to have it, and pay for it, sometimes.

I want to drive to AZ but the wife won’t allow the 3 (ride too harsh). But the S is a no op without SC. Doh.

It was a surprise to me that it meant no SC access at all. I had assumed when I bought it just meant no FREE SC. Honestly, I charge from home all the time, so it’s not a huge deal, but it would be very handy to have it, and pay for it, sometimes.

I want to drive to AZ but the wife won’t allow the 3 (ride too harsh). But the S is a no op without SC. Doh.

It's a one-time $2,500 payment, I believe.

I was unaware that pay as you go did NOT exist for S/X without unlimited super charging. You're telling me you went to a supercharging station recently, plugged in, and nothing happens?
60's had the option when first sold to add supercharging. Cost with the car was $2,000 or after purchase was $ 2,500
Some people regretted later. 40's had to upgrade to the 60 part of their battery at $10,000 or after for $11,000 and then $2,000 or after $2,500 for supercharging. Recently though a friend of mine upgraded his 5 year old 40 to 60 for $2,000 no SC.

Thanks

Edit: I was far from home when I tried today. Tesla roadside asst was great, and unlocked SC for 24hrs so I could get home. Very quick and friendly. So I know it works. 175 miles of charge per hour was awesome. (First ever use of SC)
That was really generous and nice of Tesla to enable SC for 24 hours for you.

Did you know a few months ago when those folks in Florida without supercharging were enabled for supercharging so they could exodus Florida ahead of the hurricane? Tesla did it for all the Florida owner/cars without the owners even needing to ask. That was compassionate, huh?

models60suc.png

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and Akikiki
The $2000 supercharging option for early 60s was for the supercharging hardware and software in the car. Irrelevant if supercharging is free or not. You paid $2000 less for your 60 when new (or someone did if you bought used). Now it’s time to pay up if you want to have that ability.