Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips on fixing this summon issue in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Summon doesnt see the steps leading into the house. It will plow right into it. I had the charger box laying horizontal but it was too low for the sensor to pickup. This is my temporary fix
IMG_20200510_102526.jpg
IMG_20200510_102526.jpg

Think maybe ill have to adjust the settings. Force the car to stop far enough from the wall that it wont run into the stairs. If FSD is a thing shouldn't the b pillar camera be able to handle this
My car is AP1. It uses ultrasonic sensors only for summon. From my understanding, AP2 currently still uses ultrasonic sensors only as well; the cameras are not used at all. I imagine this will change at some point.

Summon is a party trick - something cool to impress your friends, coworkers, or neighbors, while you watch it like a hawk so it doesn't do any damage. It's not really meant for not for unattended use. Of course you can try, but you assume all the risks, including it running into stairs, walls, door frames, drive over things, etc.

Summon is a party trick - something cool to impress your friends, coworkers, or neighbors, while you watch it like a hawk so it doesn't do any damage. It's not really meant for not for unattended use. Of course you can try, but you assume all the risks, including it running into stairs, walls, door frames, drive over things, etc.
It’s extremely useful. I’m in a townhouse with a single car garage. I have lots of storage racks and need to move the car out to access this storage. I use this nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day. And of course you have to watch it. But after nearly five years I’ve never had an incident.

It’s extremely useful. I’m in a townhouse with a single car garage. I have lots of storage racks and need to move the car out to access this storage. I use this nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day. And of course you have to watch it. But after nearly five years I’ve never had an incident.
I move my car to access storage racks in my garage all the time, but I just get in the car instead and drive it out - I would never trust summon, especially that I park only a couple of inches away from the racks (I don't think the sensors can sense them accurately).

I had an idea about this... Tesla could come out with some unique logo or graphic that could be printed out on a standard sheet of paper. Make that available for download. Print out two of these at home, and put them on the back wall of your garage, about the height of the hood, a few feet apart. Create a home autopark feature, where the cameras see these two identifiable markings, and use them to automatically park the car. Basically the car manipulates its position to get these logos into specific pixel locations in the camera frame. Easy way to set this up would be park the car where you want it in the garage, and show on the screen inside the car where the logos would need to go, with a little bit of leeway. Hang the logos, the car memorizes the position of where they are, then you are good to go. If you have more than one parking spot, have multiple sets of logos to identify each available spot. All you should have to do is get the car in front of the garage facing the right direction, tesla see the logos, and it triggers a prompt if you would like to autopark in your garage.

What settings do you have in your Summon for auto park? Is it set to tight or normal? Could you try putting one of those sticks that they use to note edges for snow plows right on the corner of that step? If you put your box on the step itself does it "see" that?

I can’t get my Model 3 to successfully pull into my garage, I set the parameters but the car stops as soon as it hits the step up of the garage floor from the driveway, if it can’t do that how does Elon expect the car to handle a speed bump,it always stops cause it must think it’s running over a someone or something, they need to add a setting so you can input the rise from the driveway into the garage so it won’t abort

Attachments

• 2B1B549C-8491-4ACD-8F30-A960C39BD4F8.jpeg
    2B1B549C-8491-4ACD-8F30-A960C39BD4F8.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 50
I can’t get my Model 3 to successfully pull into my garage, I set the parameters but the car stops as soon as it hits the step up of the garage floor from the driveway, if it can’t do that how does Elon expect the car to handle a speed bump,it always stops cause it must think it’s running over a someone or something, they need to add a setting so you can input the rise from the driveway into the garage so it won’t abort
Summon has extremely low torque limits on the motor as a safety control. I suppose it’s hard to tell the difference between “garage lip” and “toddler” with ultrasonics. Agree they’re frankly too low for lots of normal situations. I think they’ll increase over time as the software improves.

I had an idea about this... Tesla could come out with some unique logo or graphic that could be printed out on a standard sheet of paper. Make that available for download. Print out two of these at home, and put them on the back wall of your garage, about the height of the hood, a few feet apart. Create a home autopark feature, where the cameras see these two identifiable markings, and use them to automatically park the car. Basically the car manipulates its position to get these logos into specific pixel locations in the camera frame. Easy way to set this up would be park the car where you want it in the garage, and show on the screen inside the car where the logos would need to go, with a little bit of leeway. Hang the logos, the car memorizes the position of where they are, then you are good to go. If you have more than one parking spot, have multiple sets of logos to identify each available spot. All you should have to do is get the car in front of the garage facing the right direction, tesla see the logos, and it triggers a prompt if you would like to autopark in your garage.

Like it. Use QR code’s... each can be unique. The whole fleet could share. Even at Superchargers, etc.