Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tried to recalibrate battery. Down 4% under 10,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our X us under 10,000 miles and current 100% SoC shows 226-227 miles. We are 20-80% people for most part but have a fair share of road trips.

Watch bjorns video and considering Supercharging to 100%, fully discharging battery, then supercharging back to 100% (until Supercharger tells me it’s done).

Has anyone done this? Any other method?
Had success?

10 miles matters as it should be 7-8 real world miles and once got to a SC with 12 miles remaining, that’s much better than 4!!

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
The car seems to lose track of the far low end, if it never goes there. Try running it down to 2 to 4% and then recharging. Best to do this when you are near home and not in a hurry, heheh. I generally run between 50-70 when at home, sometimes for months.

I once was traveling and arrived at my destination with about 7% left. Fortunately a supercharger was nearby. So I limped there the next morning, arriving with 1% indicated (phew!). Supercharged to 90%, then left. By the time I reached my remote destination, 5 miles or so away, I was at 95% indicated! Go figure.

BTW, I always run with % indicated on the fuel tank. A guess at miles remaining never made sense to me.

Have you tried as simple as a 100% charge at home? The 90% threads include reports that never charging above 80% results in an inaccurate display.

Yeah we have charged (topped off) to 100% at home as well as at super chargers, its why I know my 100% range at this time. a few miles not a big deal, 10 is more of an issue for me.

The car seems to lose track of the far low end, if it never goes there. Try running it down to 2 to 4% and then recharging. Best to do this when you are near home and not in a hurry, heheh. I generally run between 50-70 when at home, sometimes for months.

I once was traveling and arrived at my destination with about 7% left. Fortunately a supercharger was nearby. So I limped there the next morning, arriving with 1% indicated (phew!). Supercharged to 90%, then left. By the time I reached my remote destination, 5 miles or so away, I was at 95% indicated! Go figure.

BTW, I always run with % indicated on the fuel tank. A guess at miles remaining never made sense to me.

I got down to 12-14 miles once, so about 6%. Thats as far as I've made it. Also where is your fuel tank? I didn't get one of my X :)
No really, I have had this discussion many times regarding miles vs %. I know my X will be 70-80% efficient on the East coast on a normal day, math is pretty easy and I don't have any kind of feel for % except tracking what map says final charge at destination. Seems to be subjective as i haven't found an objective measure to trust one over the other. but feel free to convince me :)
Also realize if I only used %, I wouldn't notice a loss in range as I do with using mileage.

Our X us under 10,000 miles and current 100% SoC shows 226-227 miles. We are 20-80% people for most part but have a fair share of road trips.

Watch bjorns video and considering Supercharging to 100%, fully discharging battery, then supercharging back to 100% (until Supercharger tells me it’s done).

Has anyone done this? Any other method?
Had success?

10 miles matters as it should be 7-8 real world miles and once got to a SC with 12 miles remaining, that’s much better than 4!!
This is a concept that was sometimes done with NiCad batteries.
I wouldn't suggest doing it in your car. Taking it to 0% isn't good on the battery. It also isn't something recommended with Lion batteries.

Of course I believe that Tesla reserves some of the bottom of the battery to keep you from damaging it, but is the potential worth something you may never need?

Just drive the car and be happy

Reactions: xyeahtony
then supercharging back to 100%
FWIW I tried to supercharge to 100% one time. Never again. I sat there for 1 1/2 hours trying to go from 99% to 100% and gave up. It was just an experiment one night when I was bored.

At home I have gotten it to 100% when I forgot to put the max charge back to it's normal state after needing to stop at a supercharger and range charge.

This is a concept that was sometimes done with NiCad batteries.
I wouldn't suggest doing it in your car. Taking it to 0% isn't good on the battery. It also isn't something recommended with Lion batteries.

Of course I believe that Tesla reserves some of the bottom of the battery to keep you from damaging it, but is the potential worth something you may never need?

Just drive the car and be happy
already was in one situation where 14 miles mattered and that was when my X displayed near full range. So loss of 10 miles does matter at just 10k miles when i plan to own this much longer. However all I see is conjecture as to how this can be done yet have not seen people specifically post + experiences or even - ones in attempting to regain full range if it truly is an algorithm issue.
I would prefer some real world experiences before weighing pros/cons of doing it, point of post to begin with. If people are doing this and don't see benefits then sure why do it. I'll also note that I haven't seen posts about battery issues following full discharge, just the annoying process of waiting for it to start charging again. I do know the norms are 5% loss by 50k miles and pretty steady up to about 200k miles maybe up to 10% total.

I haven't been below 10%, but I have range charged to 100% a few times a year. Last time I did it, first time in about half a year, I picked up almost 2 miles. Pretty much to about what I had new. I'm at 15k miles now and can still reach 292 rated miles at 100%. I think the charge to 100% (I do it at home) has helped maintain that level. I haven't tried doing a near-full drain and range charge, nor has it been necessary.

Yeah we have charged (topped off) to 100% at home as well as at super chargers, its why I know my 100% range at this time. a few miles not a big deal, 10 is more of an issue for me.

I got down to 12-14 miles once, so about 6%. Thats as far as I've made it. Also where is your fuel tank? I didn't get one of my X

I was referring to the fuel tank gauge, the little green (or yellow or red) bar,

Reactions: srharris22
On my March 17 100D, when new 100% charge showed 296 miles. Now at 23K my 100% is 281 miles. I recently got the hardware to read the battery info via Scan My Tesla and found the 100% batt = 92.9kwh, with a useable of 88.9kwh. Seems like a fairy big loss to me after 23K miles. My charging habits are daily 70% to about 50%, with occasional 100% on weekends, but never left at 100% for more than 30 mins. Some supercharging but mostly home charging.

Battery Capacity June 2018 22K (1).png

If it makes u feel better, I'm at 7% at 16500 miles and it still seems to be getting worse. Our X90D is now only a couple miles above a 75D range...which feels undeniably frustrating. Always been a 60 to 90% guy as well, but in attempts to stop the hemorrhaging, I've recently dropped down to 70 or 80% daily. It has to slow down somewhere...

Honestly tho, I'm getting used to just ignoring it all and driving it. Its just a car. If it bothers u that much, sell and try again. Definitely not the cheapest route but it does help to spell out your options.

This is all you need to know. It basically says that the estimated range is likely to be inaccurate unless you regularly charge to 100% and then run down to almost 0%, which is why I switched mine to show simple battery percentage. Basically it's not really possible to know for sure whether you really have 12 miles or only 4 miles remaining range. It's the same with your estimated 226-227 mile range at 100%. It's nothing like that accurate in reality. Your actual range will depend on so many factors and this is just a very rough estimation.

So if you want a better estimation of range then charging to 100% and discharging to 0% a few times will help a little, but is not good for the battery, especially if done regularly. Your actual real life range is whatever it is regardless of the computer's estimation, it's just not possible to nail it down to a figure as accurate as you appear to be seeking.

Reactions: GazUK67
So does the algorithm in the X take into account what you did to the car yesterday?
In our little iMiev the "range" presumes that you'll repeat yesterday's driving today, which creates some "interesting" mileage estimates.
For example, we use it once a week as a keg cooler at the farm market. It sits for 6 hours running AC and going nowhere, the next day the range shows about 60% of the usual range, then a day later it's fixed.
I've driven it for 5 km reading 0 several times (we live at the top of a long hill climb).

So does the algorithm in the X take into account what you did to the car yesterday?
In our little iMiev the "range" presumes that you'll repeat yesterday's driving today, which creates some "interesting" mileage estimates.
For example, we use it once a week as a keg cooler at the farm market. It sits for 6 hours running AC and going nowhere, the next day the range shows about 60% of the usual range, then a day later it's fixed.
I've driven it for 5 km reading 0 several times (we live at the top of a long hill climb).

There are two indicators of range in a Tesla. One is a rough estimate which is quoted under the battery icon. The second is a much more accurate estimate based on your recent usage, which appears under the energy tab. You also get a very accurate live estimate when using the nav for a trip, which is what you should go off whenever range is critical.

Reactions: NoBeard
The range number next to the charge indicator is nearly useless IMO. It is just a relative indicator of how much charge is left in the battery. It does not take into account any driving history, let alone a guess at the future. Just set your car to indicate % and call it a day. If you need a guess at range, bring up the energy graph. Even the energy graph cannot predict your future driving, But it at least takes driving history into account for the last 5,15 or 30 miles (you pick). It even takes into account extra energy consumed by the climate system during very cold or hot weather.

I doubt anyone would accept an ICE fuel gauge calibrated in miles remaining. Some cars make that "remaining range" available through a display option. Eventually you will develop a "feel" for how far you can get on that "42%" you have left.