Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to open passenger door for girlfriend with screen and climate control on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always open the passenger door for my girlfriend and I always find it silly how the car turns on and is all inviting when I open the passenger door and she gets in but as soon as I close the passenger door, everything just turns off :(

So everything is all dark while I walk to the driver's side door and the displays and climate control turn back on when I open the driver's side door.

Has anyone figures out any way to keep the MCU, climate control, and music on when you open the door for someone but not have everything turn off as soon as you close their door?

I wish when you open a passenger door for someone, it keeps the displays, climate control, and music on for a set duration of 2 to 5 minutes. Would make for a much more elegant experience for when you open the door for a passenger and walk around the car to get in the car. It's silly to turn everything on and off each time you open a door.

When the MCU, climate control, and music turn on from a door opening, they should remain on for a few minutes.

I always open the passenger door for my girlfriend and I always find it silly how the car turns on and is all inviting when I open the passenger door and she gets in but as soon as I close the passenger door, everything just turns off :(

So everything is all dark while I walk to the driver's side door and the displays and climate control turn back on when I open the driver's side door.

Has anyone figures out any way to keep the MCU, climate control, and music on when you open the door for someone but not have everything turn off as soon as you close their door?

I wish when you open a passenger door for someone, it keeps the displays, climate control, and music on for a set duration of 2 to 5 minutes. Would make for a much more elegant experience for when you open the door for a passenger and walk around the car to get in the car. It's silly to turn everything on and off each time you open a door.

When the MCU, climate control, and music turn on from a door opening, they should remain on for a few minutes.

When the screens are off, your passenger can touch the central screen to turn them back on (including music, HVAC if they were on).

Or before you close the passenger door, you can reach over to or ask your passenger to input the central screen to place the HVAC to dog mode or "on" after exit mode.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Camping mode?

Maybe not.

But 'dog mode'..... I would risk that incase she sees you turn it on.

Last edited:
Tesla have never thought of this unique situation as yours. :).
Sometimes I think I need to open the doors for my kids as they either dont close the door properly and open close multiple times or slam the door shut real hard...

When the screens are off, your passenger can touch the central screen to turn them back on (including music, HVAC if they were on).

Or before you close the passenger door, you can reach over to or ask your passenger to input the central screen to place the HVAC to dog mode or "on" after exit mode.

Good to know touching the MCU makes the car wake back up but it messes up the experience though if you have to give instructions to the person you just opened the door for...

It's silly to have to remind someone to touch the MCU display after you open the door for them. Knowing my girlfriend, she'll probably say it's okay for the car to be dark until I open my car and sit on the driver's seat.

The current situation where the car goes dark as soon as you close the passenger door probably bothers me more than my girlfriend.

Open the driver's door, go to the passenger side and let your girlfriend in, close the passenger door. (The driver's door only needs to be open a very small amount).

If passenger door was opened AND passenger seat sensor trigger=True THEN set screen and AC to ON for 2 min.

Can someone translate that to C++ and tweet the Girlfriend subroutine to Elon?

Yes, we need "Girlfriend Mode" to keep the MCU, music, and climate control on when you open the door for someone.

So who has enough Twitter followers so you can Tweet this to Elon? This would be so easy to implement and would make things less awkward when you open and close other doors before you get in as right now the car turns on an doff each time you open and close a door.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and Hank42
Open the driver's door, go to the passenger side and let your girlfriend in, close the passenger door. (The driver's door only needs to be open a very small amount).

This would only work if you are approaching from the side of the driver's door though...

When any door is opened, the car should keep everything powered on for two minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion!

That's a more natural way to do this. Let me try this out...

Just as long as I get the keyfob back...

It should work because when we drove my wife's MX, I open the passenger door for her and close it after. The car does not turn off when I walk to the driver side. She is the only one carrying the keyfob in her purse. The downside to this for Model X is that driver side door does not auto present when I don't have the keyfob on me. Oh well.

An added benefit of giving your girlfriend the key is that she would think you gave it to her because your relationship had gone to a deeper level..... not knowing that you just want to keep the A/C on. :p

Last edited:
Throw the key fob in the cupholder or the drivers seat when you tuck her in? I guess that will.work?

Maybe leave fob on roof while walk around and remember to fetch it back before getting in?

Not very smooth

Last edited:
When I first bought my Tesla in 2012, I expected some software bugs (or not very well thought-out programming) such as this so although it has bothered me for years, but not enough to write about it.

I guess now you have officially written about it!

The present behavior is also a bit annoying when cleaning and vacuuming the car because each time you open one of the 4 doors everything turns on and everything turns off when you close the door... and the sequence continues each time you open and close a door.

When you open a door everything should just stay on for 2 minutes.