Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody else get the feeling we'll hear about more than the Model Y on the 14th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn between these two options. I think the first is more sensible, however I can't help thinking that the price drop is a sweetener for those who buy a model S now, only to face a much improved model being sold at usual prices at a later date.
im avoiding buying a new Model X because there has to be a refresh coming down the pipeline very soon. (At least an interior refresh....)

Reactions: Drax and cdub
I think we're going to get an announcement about a refresh of the Model S and X along with the capacity to use V3 Superchargers at the Model Y reveal. Here's the thin evidence I'm stringing together to make this prediction:

- Last year, Electrek shared "leaked documents" about the updated interior of the Model X and S, tentatively planned for mid-2019

- Tesla recently reduced the price and options of the current models, something they've historically done when they wanted an uptick in sales before something new came along.

- Supercharger V3 is being unveiled today, seemingly only for use with the Model 3. Back when the 3 released, Elon said something along the lines of "the 3 will never be seen as an upgrade to the S or X". Introducing a new, faster charging standard that only the cheapest vehicle in the line-up can use looks to me like a major, exclusive upgrade

- Tesla did the same thing last year with the Semi reveal

- This is a little more shortsighted, but it may help distract from the negative publicity that's come with closing stores and slashing prices.

What does everyone else think?

Yes the "one more thing" moment. Could be interior/exterior refreshing but I think even more likely 2170 cells. As for those negative publicities who cares? They've been there from the day one only because most people have no idea what Tesla is doing. Tesla always prove them wrong.

im avoiding buying a new Model X because there has to be a refresh coming down the pipeline very soon. (At least an interior refresh....)

Although you will need to pay the higher old, if not even higher, price for the new model. The difference for the Model S will be even more since it likely will have exterior refreshing too.

Last edited:
I think we're going to get an announcement about a refresh of the Model S and X along with the capacity to use V3 Superchargers at the Model Y reveal. Here's the thin evidence I'm stringing together to make this prediction:

- Last year, Electrek shared "leaked documents" about the updated interior of the Model X and S, tentatively planned for mid-2019

- Tesla recently reduced the price and options of the current models, something they've historically done when they wanted an uptick in sales before something new came along.

- Supercharger V3 is being unveiled today, seemingly only for use with the Model 3. Back when the 3 released, Elon said something along the lines of "the 3 will never be seen as an upgrade to the S or X". Introducing a new, faster charging standard that only the cheapest vehicle in the line-up can use looks to me like a major, exclusive upgrade

- Tesla did the same thing last year with the Semi reveal

- This is a little more shortsighted, but it may help distract from the negative publicity that's come with closing stores and slashing prices.

I agree. A refresh of the month x or s should eliminate any possible Osbourne effect with the X especially if the Y is awesome.

Yes the "one more thing" moment. Could be interior/exterior refreshing but I think even more likely 2170 cells. As for those negative publicities who cares? They've been there from the day one only because most people have no idea what Tesla is doing. Tesla always prove them wrong.

Although you will need to pay the higher old, if not even higher, price for the new model. The difference for the Model S will be even more since it likely will have exterior refreshing too.
There will be no 2170 cells. Elon has stated this repeatedly. There is no need for them either. It's just a form factor. The 18650's will have the same chemistry as the 2170s at this point. The only other thing needed for V3 charging is the cooling system updated to be as efficient as the Model 3 pack. And possibly the size of the internal charging cables if they have not been upgraded already.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There will be no 2170 cells. Elon has stated this repeatedly. There is no need for them either. It's just a form factor. The 18650's will have the same chemistry as the 2170s at this point. The only other thing needed for V3 charging is the cooling system updated to be as efficient as the Model 3 pack. And possibly the size of the internal charging cables if they have not been upgraded already.

I'm not suggesting they are going to move to 2170s, but surely it simplifies production to have all models using the same form factor battery, thereby reducing overall cost?

I'm not suggesting they are going to move to 2170s, but surely it simplifies production to have all models using the same form factor battery, thereby reducing overall cost?
Not really. They would need to redesign the entire body in white for model s and x to accommodate the thicker pack the 2170s would need.
If they can figure out how to cool the 18650 packs the same way as the model 3 without changing the external dimensions, that is the cheapest route.

I’d be surprised if they announced an interior refresh for S/X during the Y event, but I do expect it later this year. I’d be shocked if they DIDN’T announce AP3 though. It seems like the ideal time to spread the word, especially with Elon talking about it lately.

I imagine the S/X refresh will happen in the summer, followed by the truck reveal in the fall. However it goes though, it’ll be a busy year for Tesla events.

I think Tesla is the only company that gets negative publicity from lowering prices and reducing headcount. Wall street loves companies that cut payroll and lower pricing. Unless it's Tesla.;)

I think Tesla is the only company that gets negative publicity from lowering prices and reducing headcount. Wall street loves companies that cut payroll and lower pricing. Unless it's Tesla.;)

Companies like Porsche always release higher priced variation first for a new model and base model a year or so later. When that happened pundits would say that will greatly increase sales. But when Tesla finally released the $35K 200+ mile EV promised years ago they will say it's because Tesla has a demand problem.

Tesla Is Following A Timeline Laid Out Many Months Ago, Yet Critics Are Acting Surprised | CleanTechnica

Reactions: StealthP3D