TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anybody else get the feeling we'll hear about more than the Model Y on the 14th?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by CjRichMar, Mar 6, 2019.

1. McFlurri

McFlurri Active Member

im avoiding buying a new Model X because there has to be a refresh coming down the pipeline very soon. (At least an interior refresh....)

• Like x 2
  2. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

#22 CarlK, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Yes the "one more thing" moment. Could be interior/exterior refreshing but I think even more likely 2170 cells. As for those negative publicities who cares? They've been there from the day one only because most people have no idea what Tesla is doing. Tesla always prove them wrong.

Although you will need to pay the higher old, if not even higher, price for the new model. The difference for the Model S will be even more since it likely will have exterior refreshing too.

3. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

I agree. A refresh of the month x or s should eliminate any possible Osbourne effect with the X especially if the Y is awesome.

4. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

There will be no 2170 cells. Elon has stated this repeatedly. There is no need for them either. It's just a form factor. The 18650's will have the same chemistry as the 2170s at this point. The only other thing needed for V3 charging is the cooling system updated to be as efficient as the Model 3 pack. And possibly the size of the internal charging cables if they have not been upgraded already.

• Like x 1
  5. JamesPolk

JamesPolk Member

Model Y is a big enough release which doesn't require additional news to create a media storm. Why release more than necessary on same day? If anything is announced in addition to the Y, it will be minor stuff.

6. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

I'm not suggesting they are going to move to 2170s, but surely it simplifies production to have all models using the same form factor battery, thereby reducing overall cost?

7. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

Not really. They would need to redesign the entire body in white for model s and x to accommodate the thicker pack the 2170s would need.
    If they can figure out how to cool the 18650 packs the same way as the model 3 without changing the external dimensions, that is the cheapest route.

8. Drax

Drax Member

I’d be surprised if they announced an interior refresh for S/X during the Y event, but I do expect it later this year. I’d be shocked if they DIDN’T announce AP3 though. It seems like the ideal time to spread the word, especially with Elon talking about it lately.

I imagine the S/X refresh will happen in the summer, followed by the truck reveal in the fall. However it goes though, it’ll be a busy year for Tesla events.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Maaz

Maaz Member

I was thinking the same thing. It only makes sense to do it now.

10. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

I think Tesla is the only company that gets negative publicity from lowering prices and reducing headcount. Wall street loves companies that cut payroll and lower pricing. Unless it's Tesla.;)

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Companies like Porsche always release higher priced variation first for a new model and base model a year or so later. When that happened pundits would say that will greatly increase sales. But when Tesla finally released the $35K 200+ mile EV promised years ago they will say it's because Tesla has a demand problem.

Tesla Is Following A Timeline Laid Out Many Months Ago, Yet Critics Are Acting Surprised | CleanTechnica

• Like x 1